Home > Social Influence > Return of the Manipulation Kid

Return of the Manipulation Kid

EDIT: This thread is a split from the original thread, "Recommendation: Persuasion Section".

"Let me give you a brief overview of ______, --in no particular order."

The word, "brief" registers in the minds of many with a double meaning. It has the effect of making people feel that they are getting a "briefing". It also softens the resistence of anyone encountering a "sales presentation." Using the phrase "brief overview" gives assurance that you will not take up much of their time while giving them pertinent information. Adding the tag, "...in no particular order is an effective oxymoron. It suggests what they are about to hear is not "canned".

The idiom , "I'll tell you what..." ?
A figure of speech that if you use in the beginning of a run-on sentence that is a statement, will create resistance. But if you use it run-on in the beginning of a question, you will increase your chances of getting both attention and an honest answer to your question. Example: "I'll tell you what -- is what we're talking about within the budget?" Again its oxymoronic, you're not telling--you're asking. But it is a speech pattern in our culture that can achieve cooperation.

How about purposely interrupting a person while he's talking to you?
It can be highly effective in building rapport and drawing a person in--so long as you're interrupting with something good about him. Works well over the phone. Not recommended when talking with a woman prospect.

In a selling situation with a man and wife--the woman lights a cigarette.
It means that they have decided to buy. And it's her decision to do so.

What percentage of positive response do you get from asking, "Can I show you where the smart money goes?"
Close to 100 percent. People don't want to be excluded from that stuff. They want to be included in a "imaginary" group of "wise" investors.

How do you handle a maven who is sitting in on the deal?

The maven, or resident expert, who sits in, if only to squelch a deal to make himself feel important, can be a real challenge, even though he is not the real decision maker. If you confront him, you stand to lose the sale. The key is to feed his self importance by placing more and more accountability on him. He'll yield and become your ally just to get the load off his shoulders. He doesn't want the responsibility if things go wrong. He'll swing your way and let you have full leadership.
- by Gary Boye

Here's a story. Could it be true?

Scenario: A young salesman in a big ticket store is being give a hard time by a very tough customer. The salesman is getting nowhere after 45 minutes. The customer and his wife decide to leave without buying. The sales manager sees it and walks into the situation and begins to ask the customer some questions in a friendly manner. The hard case starts his tough act with the manager. The manager interrupts him and says: "Will you cut it out. I'm trying to close a deal here for this kid!"

The customer reacts by apologizing, "Oh..sorry." The sale is closed within three minutes.

Could that happen? Did it? Why? Why not?

- by Gary Boye

Here's a story. Could it be true?

Scenario: A young salesman in a big ticket store is being give a hard time by a very tough customer. The salesman is getting nowhere after 45 minutes. The customer and his wife decide to leave without buying. The sales manager sees it and walks into the situation and begins to ask the customer some questions in a friendly manner. The hard case starts his tough act with the manager. The manager interrupts him and says: "Will you cut it out. I'm trying to close a deal here for this kid!"

The customer reacts by apologizing, "Oh..sorry." The sale is closed within three minutes.

Could that happen? Did it? Why? Why not?

I'll take an affirmative position and say it happened because the sm who entered changed the dynamics, he cooled the hard case who really wanted to buy, in a sense made "the kid" a nonissue in hard cases mind who realized he was being a jerk and the sm was there in his best interest.

I don't know all the psychology - and it could also go the other way - but this time there was a sale. - by MitchM
I'll take an affirmative position and say it happened because the sm who entered changed the dynamics, he cooled the hard case who really wanted to buy, in a sense made "the kid" a nonissue in hard cases mind who realized he was being a jerk and the sm was there in his best interest.
I'll go along Mitch's response. ;) - by Jolly Ro