Home > Management > Training New Team

Training New Team

Hey,

I was promoted to a new department located in my company and was immediately given the task to hire a team, obtain books/software to help train them in sales, and get them trained. I was wondering if you folks had any suggestions on software or books that was awesome at facilitating the best training for them. We would prefer software as I won't have too much time to train them before they hit the fire and would prefer something "hands on." I'll love any help that you guys would provide!

-Scott - by NewSaleSuper
Hey,

I was promoted to a new department located in my company and was immediately given the task to hire a team, obtain books/software to help train them in sales, and get them trained. I was wondering if you folks had any suggestions on software or books that was awesome at facilitating the best training for them. We would prefer software as I won't have too much time to train them before they hit the fire and would prefer something "hands on." I'll love any help that you guys would provide!

-Scott
Some questions...

What kind of sales does your team do?
What is the outcome you're seeking in your training efforts? What kind of experience do the members of your team have? - by Skip Anderson
Some questions...

What kind of sales does your team do?
What is the outcome you're seeking in your training efforts? What kind of experience do the members of your team have?
We offer a free basic bare bones publishing service for free. We have additonal design services, distribution services, and promotional services that we sale on top of the basic free offer.

I want great team cohesion as they are going to earn group incentives. I was thinking that for training I could have one person study each aspect of sales strategy individually and fully and give a presentation to the rest of our group 5-6 newbies about their specific topics. I think I would give them a nice chance to meet eachother without us all having to pour over our whole books.

This is an entry level position that they are coming into which will be unfortunately a blend of Customer Service and Sales. We've basicly been hiring people with a background in retail sales that would have add-on experience and still have great customer interaction.

Thanks! - by NewSaleSuper
I don't know a great deal about your situation, but here are a few thoughts that I'll share:

1. Be very clear about your behavioral expectations of your team. Since their experience level is low, and they have a customer service versus sales orientation, you need to be very clear about what sales behaviors you want them to employ. I have seen companies try to train their team in advanced sales principles when the people simply weren't ready for it, and it ended up being a waste of time.

2. Role play, practice, role play again and again.

3. Consider having your team members pass a test before they are allowed to sell. This shouldn't be a knowledge test, but a demonstration that they have mastered the sales behaviors you want them to learn.

As your team gets more advanced and more experienced, you can advance the knowledge through training and other initiatives, but it seems like you'd be best served to keep it simple to start, but with a passionate, very direct and clear approach. When people start having success, they'll be hungry for more information.

I hope that helps.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.