Home > Personal Development > Save the Rookie!

Save the Rookie!

I posted most of this in my intro, but this is probably a better venue.
I sell software to the transportation industry - and I'm really floundering. I've always worked in phone sales, but this is the first time I've been in complex, long cycle, high level selling. By the way, I've been at this job since October '07.
My mentor left the company three weeks after I got promoted to this position, and his replacement is a hot shot seller from a partner company who isn't keen on sharing technique or advice. The worst of this, though, is my boss has a serious man-crush on the new guy and I'm totally brushed off. I mean totally.
I've read a couple of books on technique, I've made friends with the programmers and the support team here in the office (they've got the answers to product questions) and I've got the desire. I just need some help focusing my efforts to be most successful.
Long story short: here I am, under quota, directionless and floundering - but determined to succeed. I've decided I need to look outside the company for mentoring and advice.
Got any suggestions? Advice? Mentoring? ANYTHING? I'll take it. - by Mr Paul
Long story short: here I am, under quota, directionless and floundering - but determined to succeed. I've decided I need to look outside the company for mentoring and advice.
Got any suggestions? Advice? Mentoring? ANYTHING? I'll take it.
I'm SO in the same boat with you. I started this job in Oct. and I'm "under quota, directionless and floundering "
Does that make you feel a tiny bit better? Misery loves company right?lagh2; - by jadedjamba
Welcome aboard, matee! You row on that side and I'll row on this one.thmbp2; - by Mr Paul
If you have to figure out how to improve your sales performance by yourself start with the big picture first - the sales cycle and sales process.

Sales Cycle:
  1. Demand creation
  2. Winning and closing opportunities
  3. Retaining customers/clients
  4. Obtaining additional business and/or referrals
Here are a few high level trouble shooting questions to start with.

Demand Creation:
  1. Are you effective at prospecting by phone and in person to fill the front side of the sales funnel?
  2. Do you prospect consistently enough to keep the funnel full?
  3. Are you setting appointments at the right levels in the prospect's organization?
Sales Process:

Winning and Closing Opportunities:

Are you effective at identifying and meeting all potential stakeholders in the opportunity in order to:
  1. Creating Interest
  2. Evaluate the Situation
  3. Prioritize Objectives
  4. Propose Options
  5. Tailor an Agreement and close
There are a few other areas to look at in a more complex selling environment such as territory and account planning. I could go on, but I'm guessing your challenge is some where in this first part. Please provide more information so that I can be more specific. - by mnicksjr
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.