Home > Personal Selling > Top Salesman are they born or created?

Top Salesman are they born or created?

Here is an interesting topic that probably has been brought up before. I know a large part of sales is attitude and ability, some of which i think is natural. Obviously you can train people to sell but, i think there are certain abilities that top salesman naturally know. What do you all think? - by MoneyMaker
Imo, top salespeople are created. - by Skip Anderson
I think knowledge of the product and some sales tips are learned but, i read some where that most "top salesman" do not use a uniform system of questions etc, they go off instinct. - by MoneyMaker
I think knowledge of the product and some sales tips are learned but, i read some where that most "top salesman" do not use a uniform system of questions etc, they go off instinct.
Instinct is valuable. It's value lies in that it suggests to the salesperson which strategies of many to use with any given prospect or any given situation. Strategies are "bodies of knowledge" and therefore, can be learned. So any strategy, whether we read about it in a book or invent it ourselves, can be quantified. It is from that analysis and quantification that we can learn strategies from other people. Wouldn't it be great to learn every possible strategy for every possible prospect in every possible situation? Of course it would (but that's not likely!).

Personalities, on the other hand, are difficult to change. It is unlikely that an introverted person will become extroverted in the future., for instance. Those traits are somewhat like our fingerprints: their unique combination makes up the core of our personality.

At least that's my opinion! Others, please share your opinions!

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
I think there are certain natural abilities a salesperson is born with, no difference that an athlete.

Speaking abilites, charm, personality are things that are not easy to teach. You either have them or you don't. Product knowledge, selling skills, closing techniques can be taught, and with practice, a salesperson can learn how to sell with a degree of proficiency.

Salespeople who can sell anything to anyone, these individuals have a talent that I think is special. It's like stand-up training. Some people feel very comfortable standing up in front of large groups and providing a motivational seminar, and some don't. You may be able to learn how to speak in front of large groups, but unless you have that special talent inside, it may not come across as well. - by Mike Whitty
Both!

MitchM - by MitchM
I think there are certain natural abilities a salesperson is born with, no difference that an athlete.

Speaking abilites, charm, personality are things that are not easy to teach. You either have them or you don't. Product knowledge, selling skills, closing techniques can be taught, and with practice, a salesperson can learn how to sell with a degree of proficiency.

Salespeople who can sell anything to anyone, these individuals have a talent that I think is special. It's like stand-up training. Some people feel very comfortable standing up in front of large groups and providing a motivational seminar, and some don't. You may be able to learn how to speak in front of large groups, but unless you have that special talent inside, it may not come across as well.
I agree with you. I was in a 2 week course where I basically find out what career path I should take based of my skills and abilities. And of course "Sales" was at the top based on my leadership skills, persuasive skills, independence, assertiveness, and much more. I don't believe a shy, small voiced person would be a top salesman... My mom and other people I know that have tried the sales world didn't succeed because of they're personality. - by MissJackson
Most of the good sales people I know have one thing in common: the ability to ask good questions and really LISTEN to people.

Susan - by susana
I'd say, "Salesmen (and women) are born. TOP salesmen (and women) are created." - by sallysellsseashells
I don't think it's one or the other. It's a combination of both. You can be trained on Selling 101, but you also need that "go getter" attitude to be successful. - by ginac84
Natural aptitude and learned behavior. You won't find a top salesperson who doesn't possess both. - by Liberty
Natural aptitude and learned behavior.
Hmmmm kind of a double statement there. Your natural aptitude is derived from the sum of your experiences, which is a learned behavior.

Please bring this to a clearer light?

Paul Rushing
912-266-1629 - by PaulRushing
Everyone has same things - natural aptitudes and learned behavior. World class performers are a combination of both.

MitchM - by MitchM
I'd say, "Salesmen (and women) are born. TOP salesmen (and women) are created."
I agree with Sally. thmbp2;

I have been training real estate agents to get more listings and sell those homes faster and for more money for over 30 years. Over 7,000 agents have earned $1 million after taking my training course and over 3,000 earned $1 million in eight years or less. I cannot begin to count how many shy, quiet people became top performers.

I learned from Ben Feldman, a life insurance agent who, in 1957, '58, and '59 sold and earned, each year, 40 times more than the average agent. The average agent made $7,500. Feldman earned $300,000. That's a pile of money today. In 1060, it was a fortune.

Feldman convince me (I was not in life insurance) to memorize every word of my presentation to perfection but not to think of it as a canned, inflexable speach. Rather, he said to think like a musician who memorizes hundreds of tunes and songs perfectly, but selects at random based on the request of the audience or the mood of the evening.

He also convinced me that every word counts and to pay careful attention to every word in my presentation.

I also noted that few people can write great music, but thousands can play and sing the music others have composed. Bing Crosby (you can tell when my music tastes were developed) earned a ton more money for singing White Christmas than Irving Berlin earned from all the great music he ever wrote. The money is in the performing, not the writing!

I spent seven years researching language for the real estate industry. I spoke to over 2,000 top agents and asked them what they said to convince people to make appointments, to list, to price right, to buy, and what they said to respond to stalls and objections.

When I started my training courses, I found that the agents, regardless of their personalities and extrovert/introvert tendencies, who memorized the language most completely and most accurately got the best results and biggest increases.

In a word, what we say as salespeople will make the difference from having an enjoyable and profitable career or just ekeing out a living.

Jerry Bresser - by Jerry Bresser
Both. To be the best requires that you develop your natural talents. Tiger Woods is a natural but he constantly develops that natural talent. - by AZBroker
We are all born champions.
But we are not born sellers.

Some people are gifted with some
of the qualities of a good seller, like
persistence, but selling must be learned
and the skills refined. - by ChampionshipClosing
"Intuition is developed through experience. Just as things like voice inflection, knowing when to push and when to back off are something that you learn from your experiences.

You cannot blur the two. They are really one in the same." -- Paul

When intuition is used in the sense that experienced is internalized and becomes responsive to external stimuli it's one-in-the-same.

When intuition is used in the sense that living organisms in this case people are born with physical and action propensities that differ and vary sometimes to a large extent, they are not one-in-the-same.

That's been known for ages.

MitchM - by MitchM
Joe Girard who the Guinness Book of World Records named Joe Girard "The World's Greatest Salesman" says right on the back of one of his books, "Salesmen are made, not born. If I did it, you can do it. I guarantee it." - by Mikey
"Joe Girard who the Guinness Book of World Records named Joe Girard "The World's Greatest Salesman" says right on the back of one of his books, "Salesmen are made, not born. If I did it, you can do it. I guarantee it." -- Mikey

Of course Joe - I've got the book - was selling his book to the wanna be masses when he said that. Joe knows how to market!

What many people don't know is Joe didn't do it alone. He had a special arrangement with the car lot, his runners busted butt and he closed - his system did the work for him and he polished it off.

Can anyone do that? You decide!

MitchM - by MitchM
Hey MitchM where did you read about how Joe Girard sold cars is that in one of his books? I did not know that he had help selling cars I thought he was all on his own. - by MoneyMaker
A friend of mine in sales for his entire live knows the situation and it was contrived in the sense that a team of salesmen on the lot prospected and showed the vehicles then Joe did the closes. He had a deal with the lot and comissions were split in defined %s and the system put all the sales in his name even though runners did much of the grunt work.

That's the story as it's told believe it or not - that he did not do it on his own as in you or I might sell the number of cars he did in a period of time is what I am told by a reliable source is the rest of the story.

I am convinced that the rest of the seldom told stories are the real hear of most stories.

MitchM - by MitchM
Well that does make sense considering the amount of cars he sold, thanks MitchM is just learned some new ;bg . - by MoneyMaker
Joe createdan infrastructure - a system - that facilitated the process he closed, so it's told.

MitchM - by MitchM
"If they are not a "knife" you can't sharpen them!" - by Gold Calling
"If they are not a "knife" you can't sharpen them!" -- quote from Gold Calling

That's a good one. You may not be able to immediately recognize a knife from a fork or spoon or piece of tin foil but you find out in time.

Scientific research shows - in one study I just read about - that even DNA produced tendencies can be altered to some degree by our choices.

The knives sharp or blunt or unrecognizable can be improved - isn't that a marriage of DNA and experience?

MitchM - by MitchM
After they are born a knife, then they can be created.

In other words, the question is not whether they are "born or created" but, rather, as a statement, they are "born and created" ... and can only be created if they have a certain make up.

If it is not a knife, you can't sharpen it! - by Gold Calling
So Gold Calling are you saying not every salesperson can develop into a champion? - by MoneyMaker
I want to share two important points about Joe Girard's outstanding achievement in sales and his inclusion in the Guinness Book of World Records:
  1. Deloitte Touche, one of the Big Four auditors along with PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, and KPMG audited and certified every one of Joe's transactions. How many sales people can show that type of proof of sale?
  2. To become a Guinness World Record(TM) Joe's achievement was verified and elevated above all suspicion.
Both of these trusted sources attest that every one of Joe's sales were "one on one". My advice is consider the source. - by Jeff Blackwell

Salespeople who can sell anything to anyone, these individuals have a talent that I think is special. It's like stand-up training. Some people feel very comfortable standing up in front of large groups and providing a motivational seminar, and some don't. You may be able to learn how to speak in front of large groups, but unless you have that special talent inside, it may not come across as well.
I am in agreement. You cannot take a "numbers" person and expect them to be successful in sales. - by Susan
Almost everyone can sell, just that they will do it differently or even using different media. - by Max_Gwee
Top salesman are they born or created ?

It depends, is attitude born or created ? I sincerely think sales is 99% attitude.

Awesome attitude = Top salesman ;sm
Bad attitude = Bottom salesman :sa

And of course to be top anything, you surely have to have the inner desire to do so. - by rlggray
MAX - I disagree. If it is not a knife you can't sharpen it.

And - can I say .... is this thread still going on?????

LOL. - by Gold Calling
Almost everyone can sell, just that they will do it differently or even using different media.
Almost everyone does sell in one way or another. Selling isn't limited to the sales profession. Selling usually isn't rocket science and the skills can be learned by anyone with a desire and ability to learn.

It depends, is attitude born or created ? I sincerely think sales is 99% attitude.
I believe attitude is what makes the difference. thmbp2; - by Bulldog
For me, it's both..Even though you have the ability to be the best salesperson around, if you don't enhance it, you cannot achieve any skills in sales. One way to improve yourself is willing to be trained by the people around you especially your superior, and just keep gaining experience, and motivate yourself to be the best you can and attain excellence. - by ralphburns
For me, it's both
Wholeheartedly agree.

I will say it again, if he/she is not a knife you can't sharpen them. However, great Sales People are students of this, the greatest profession in the world! - by Gold Calling
Top salesman are they born or created ?

Awesome attitude = Top salesman ;sm
Bad attitude = Bottom salesman :sa

And of course to be top anything, you surely have to have the inner desire to do so.
Riggray I make you right. - by Alex1
No one comes in to this world with a book under their arms...meaning we learn and acquire our skills.
a doctor learns, studies and practices
A sportsperson trains
and a sales person is taught, and created.

Sure depending on your upbringing and personality that you form you may be more suited for different things however if you ahve the determination and persistence you can master ANY skill you want in life. - by Smile
Both

But I would also question if 'natural born salespeople' will become a thing of the past in our future landscape.

1) The current sales landscape relies on systems which many find hard to adhere too.

2) I have seen a marked reduction in natural aptitude in the younger sales people coming through the ranks. This can be overcome with good training and systems. I don't know why this is happening. This might be the subject of a different post. Perhaps the modern attention defecit brought about by sound bite living makes it difficult to concentrate on the fundamentals of questioning and listening. - by peter-odonoghue
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.