Home > Personal Selling > Those that are Sales Gods

Those that are Sales Gods

Do those people who are the best at what they do willing to give up there secrets? I have a hard time believing what people write in books about selling. The reason is because a lot of it sounds good and its a way for them to sell you the book. So really they maybe good at sales but, they are only selling there tips that do not work in order for you to buy the book. What do you all think? Are sales books a waste of money? This kind of leads into my thread about whether top saleman are born or created. - by MoneyMaker
Why on earth would knowledge of any type (books, seminars, articles, mentoriship, etc.) be considered a waste of money? Knowledge is out there; all you have to do is go get it.

That doesn't mean that everything ever written on sales is accurate or true, of course. - by Skip Anderson
Idk i guess i did not understand my point clearly my bad. - by MoneyMaker
You're not bad.

IMO, sales learning is no different than any other kind of learning. There's a body of knowledge out there, and some of it is conflicting depending upon who you listen to (do any two golfers agree on everything? Or any two basketball coaches?).

Individuals who want to better themselves by learning need to dig in and start somewhere. Eventually, one will learn to filter out unhelpful information and focus on the helpful information.

And yes, there are books out there that are horrible, and trainers that are trying to make a quick buck, and contrarians that try to stir up the pot by suggesting strategies that are opposite what the best minds in the field know. But that dynamic exists in any endeavor, right? - by Skip Anderson
What is your point, MoneyMaker? - by Jim Klein
I guess i really don't have "a point" i just wondered how some of you felt, about trying to learn how to sell. I know there is a lot of good information out there but, i have also found poor information. I guess trial and error is the best way to go early on. - by MoneyMaker
I guess i really don't have "a point" i just wondered how some of you felt, about trying to learn how to sell. I know there is a lot of good information out there but, i have also found poor information. I guess trial and error is the best way to go early on.
Yes, MM, there is definitely both great sales info out there and terrible info out there.

For a newer person in the sales field, I would recommend that they select someone (author, trainer, mentor) that seems to make sense to them, and listen to what he/she has to say by reading his or her books, or listening to recordings, or watching DVDs or whatever. When a person is starting out, it's easy to get overloaded, but picking one or two people to follow is a great way to start.

With additional learning and experience, the learning plan can be expanded.

That's my two cents. The best to you. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.