Home > Approach > How Do You Prepare For A Sales Call With A Major Prospect?

How Do You Prepare For A Sales Call With A Major Prospect?

Once you have identified a major prospect, made the initial call and successfully set the initial meeting, how do you prepare for the appointment? - by mnicksjr
Once you have identified a major prospect, made the initial call and successfully set the initial meeting, how do you prepare for the appointment?
What counts as a major prospect? - by Thomas
Once you have identified a major prospect, made the initial call and successfully set the initial meeting, how do you prepare for the appointment?
  • The "intitial call" that gained the next step, "the initial meeting", would have contained at least one promise made by me. Part of my preparation would be to collect the necessities, tangible or intangible, to deliver on that promise at the meeting.
  • Three (the number 3) is a magic number in selling. I would come prepared to discuss three pertinent issues of my choosing with the prospect.
  • I would have a list of questions for the purpose of fact-finding.
  • I would assume nothing with regard to how "hot" this prospect was.
  • I would approach the appointment with the attitude that this was going to be a very tough call. That is how I approach every call.
  • I would have researched the business if it was B2B.
  • I would review my product or service portfolio in the areas that would seem to be of interest to the prospect.
  • I would have thought out a commitment objective for the meeting. (Note: "commitment objective" is a term that I discovered is in use by Action Selling, a sales training program, and I use it here. I was familiar with the concept long before I ever had a label for it. That said, "purposeful call", a term I use more frequently, has always been paramount in my method of selling.)
- by Ace Coldiron
I agree with Ace and especially want to emphasize the Commitment Objective and Research and Questions.

Going to a meeting without knowing what you're going to get out it is pointless.

Going to a meeting without knowing who you're meeting, is pointless, or at least puts you in front of a client who is going to wonder what kind of a bozo he wasting his time with, especially if he has published information about his company..

Using public information to launch appropriate open ended questioning to gather insight into the man/woman you're sitting in front of gives you an edge in coming to understanding your client and where it is that you can be of service.

Much Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
Using public information to launch appropriate open ended questioning to gather insight into the man/woman you're sitting in front of gives you an edge in coming to understanding your client and where it is that you can be of service.
I like how you expressed that. Please say more about this from your perspective.

Some of these things can be so valuable to newcomers in sales. - by Ace Coldiron
I like how you expressed that. Please say more about this from your perspective.

Some of these things can be so valuable to newcomers in sales.
For example, if I see a company is family owned and 70 years old and the person you're sitting in front of is 40 years old, you have a wealth of information to mine.

There is a new generation, and you can seek information on how the transition may have changed how they do business. Has technology improved their business. Is the ownership balance the same. Have product lines changed. Has there been growth of the company since the transition. Has that growth accelerated any? How about Key People. Have there been any changes. How has their workforce changed. Has their employee benefit planning evolved with the changes?

This opens up lines of communications towards estate planning, disability planning, employee benefits, keyperson insurance, buy sell agreements, worksite benefits for employees, and personal insurance and income replacement plans, for example.

Much Aloha... Tom :cool: - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.