Home > Personal Development > Attention With Intention Creates Success

Attention With Intention Creates Success

Paying attention with the intention of understanding what's being said can create success for everyone getting what they want. Learning what it means to be attentive is an acquired and quite complex skill that can be simply summed up as: quieting the mind to listen without interruption and with clarity.

Establishing a relationship of trust and respect, discovering mutual expectations, identifying points of difference, and providing information that fits specific concerns comes through paying attention with the intention of understanding clearly what's being said and asked. Likewise, asking appropriate questions is absolutely essential.

These are the skills that can never be sharpened enough and ones we work on every day for ourselves and with distributors we coach. Personality differences, mental distractions, past undiagnosed habits, and cognitive variations in learning can be huge challenges to individual and team growth.

Attention and intention are worthy of serious thought.

MitchM - by MitchM
Those are two important areas definitely worthy of serious thought. Thank you MitchM for bringing up the topic. I am interested to see if anyone else agrees or disagrees. - by Gilbert
If not they're probably not paying attention.;bg MitchM - by MitchM
I agree that we never truly learn everything and are always learning. I am very pleased to hear building trust and respect are big on your agenda. I think in sales we can sometimes forget those important needs.

Cheers to you.

Smiles, - by lrobertson
I have a friend who has been learning for decades and he's as frustrated as ever every now and then. Between the now and thens he is convinced he has learned important truths that are helping him better his life YET those who know him see he's not changed a thing.

What is learning that makes a difference in our accomplishments and how do we measure that; how do we distinguish different qualities of learning and know when it's not important to us; what do trust and respect mean and how are they immediately established and retained? These are not simple or easy questions to answer.

Paying attention to one's conclusions with the intention of understanding one's life is the study of a lifetime. The same is giving that attention to others and in the context of this forum improving sales.

That's what I make my living doing and helping others do.

MitchM - by MitchM
My mother once told me "You Respect others until they give you a reason not too"

I think it goes without saying that when we place our cold calls we should respect the prospects as human beings and the very fact that when we call them we are interrupting their lives and what they are doing.

We should show them that we know and honor that...Also let them know we have something worth interrupting their time with. Something that can help them with their current struggles. I think if we show them that in the beginning the trust will start up on its own.

I know trust is a big thing and it is hard to give even after a few years but building trust has to start somewhere.

Just my thoughts.

Smiles,
Lisa - by lrobertson
In our business (and lives) we have to live by being people who can be trusted and respected immediately. When you know your intentions and live honestly that's easy. You just talk straight and with commitment.

It becomes clear the other person we might do business with also has to be respected and trusted by virtue of his or her actions and words. That can be established fairly quickly. Obviously sometimes people change and don't keep their word down the road.

Being trusted or not begins immediately in every conversation. In sales it's about delivering expectations, keeping our word, not hiding things, and putting everything on the table that's required.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
In our business (and lives) we have to live by being people who can be trusted and respected immediately. When you know your intentions and live honestly that's easy. You just talk straight and with commitment.

It becomes clear the other person we might do business with also has to be respected and trusted by virtue of his or her actions and words. That can be established fairly quickly. Obviously sometimes people change and don't keep their word down the road.

Being trusted or not begins immediately in every conversation. In sales it's about delivering expectations, keeping our word, not hiding things, and putting everything on the table that's required.

The best to you.

MitchM
That is right mitchM! We all have to do our part and being forward and up front in the beginning will help them see that in you. Building Trust starts at "Hello".

To Your Success!
Smiles,
Lisa - by lrobertson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.