Home > Marketing > Which is best, Popularity or Exposure?

Which is best, Popularity or Exposure?

For real estate agents which would be the best route popularity or exposure? If real estate is a referral business then popularity looks like the best option so I'd work on cultivating friends but if exposure is the best option then I'd work on a marketing campaign. If you could only focus on one option which would you choose? - by Thomas
I can't speak from experience BUT I can speak from knowing many very successful people in real estate in my home town. All have been with real estate for a life time as a career. All get up every day and get to work. All are focused on their careers and work day, night, and weekend time to accomplish what they want.

Today they work in teams - broker "downline" (to use my network marketing jargon) teams of agents; those who show property; office staff. They also form teams with mortguage lenders, contractors, etc.

Individually, they meet lots of people, make contacts and friends, develope their relationships. Some do more networking than others - some do more mailings then others. Reputation follows you.

I don't have any inside information as I'm not in real estate but I thought I'd open up this thread to discussion. Anyone with experience can point to their experience and what I've got right or not about their business.

Popularity or exposure isn't an issue or point of departure - every thing works together.

What I've always attempted to do in what I've done is simplify, focus, do less smarter so I can have a lot of time left over, identify what I want and where to get it the quickest.

I don't always get it or get it right.

Any real estate pros to pitch in here?

MitchM - by MitchM
The answer is that you have to do both.

I know that doesn't answer your question, Thomas, but you must get referrals (or business) from friends and families and associates; and you also have to have a marketing/PR program (but marketing/PR almost always has a return down the road, not imediately).

What you do in the marketing arena (or "PR," since advertising isn't as effective as it once was) will probably help you one year from now (or five years or ten years), and help you less right now. What you do with your network can bring you business right now if your network is big enough and strong enough. - by Skip Anderson
For real estate agents which would be the best route popularity or exposure? If real estate is a referral business then popularity looks like the best option so I'd work on cultivating friends but if exposure is the best option then I'd work on a marketing campaign. If you could only focus on one option which would you choose?
I'd choose popularity defined as "well liked and sought after" which when well managed results in exposure. msnwnk; - by AZBroker
For real estate agents which would be the best route popularity or exposure? If real estate is a referral business then popularity looks like the best option so I'd work on cultivating friends but if exposure is the best option then I'd work on a marketing campaign. If you could only focus on one option which would you choose?
Exposure can fuel popularity.

Through exposure you can position yourself as an expert.

I'd think you can leverage exposure to cover more ground faster than if you tried to win friends and influence people. - by Mikey
It's almost a chicken or the egg argument isn't it? I don't think the TOP people could do as well as they do without both popularity and exposure. I think Skip was right on track when he said popularity gets you business right now and your marketing or PR efforts help you further down the road. One of the best ways to increase popularity is going to be by consistent high quality exposure. - by bmtrnavsky
I cold call a lot which I think of as exposure. If I worked more on the popularity side with my current clients I could probably get more referrals. So the way I'm doing it now first comes exposure then comes popularity. - by Thomas
One feeds the other but it is imperative to become popular one need exposure. For selling professionals and entrepreneurs exposure is vital so that the market understands and honors your expertise.

The method to create exposure is through marketing attraction. Exemplars are speaking, blogging, books, audio products, websites, articles, etc. There are a myriad of items to be conducted yet clearly the person with the most exposure is that which the market will be attracted, especially if there is differentiation.

Best - by Drew Stevens
One feeds the other but it is imperative to become popular one need exposure. For selling professionals and entrepreneurs exposure is vital so that the market understands and honors your expertise.

The method to create exposure is through marketing attraction. Exemplars are speaking, blogging, books, audio products, websites, articles, etc. There are a myriad of items to be conducted yet clearly the person with the most exposure is that which the market will be attracted, especially if there is differentiation.

Best
Thanks Drew. Those examples looked great for sales trainers but do you think those would help an individual sales person like a car salesman or a house siding salesman? - by Thomas
Most certainly. There is no difference between a real estate agent.broker, an automobilie dealership or even the physician that conducts laser eye surgery. All desire business. The gaffe I frequently see is people believing that different businesses require different selling approaches, untrue.

All require attention, conviction, desire and close. Simply put the essence of these four drive sales. That said and back to your original question, exposure will cost you money. Advertising and PR are expensive. Popularity is less expensive and sometimes even free. More importantly investors and RE clients desire agents that they can trust. Homes are liabilities and aside from automobiles are the largest investment people spend in life. You need to ensure you can that trust and are not always the one on the billboard in town. Exposure assists ego, popularity assists your bank account.

I am hopeful I answered your question.

Drew - by Drew Stevens
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.