Home > Jobs > Which Kind of Selling Do You Do?

Which Kind of Selling Do You Do?

Which kind of selling do you do? Please take the poll. Then share with the SalesPractice community what you like or don't like about your particular type of selling.

Newbies, here's a perfect chance to become a new member of SP, or if you're already a member, post your first response.

Of course, non-newbies are encouraged to respond, too!

Skip - by Skip Anderson
I work in manufactured housing sales. What I don't like about it is working with Buyers who call or visit and don't have any idea of what they want. That drives me nuts. What I do like about it is working with Sellers. They are easier to find and easier to work with. - by Thomas
Thomas, dont you find that working with a buyer that doesnt know what he/she wants gives you the best chance to flex your sales muscle? - by Jaron Watkins
Thomas, dont you find that working with a buyer that doesnt know what he/she wants gives you the best chance to flex your sales muscle?
How so Jaron? - by Thomas
well, If a client doesnt know what he/she is looking for I find that it gives me a better chance to show Everything I have to offer. Find out how they wish to use the product and go from there. instead of a customer that is looking for something I dont have - by Jaron Watkins
well, If a client doesnt know what he/she is looking for I find that it gives me a better chance to show Everything I have to offer. Find out how they wish to use the product and go from there. instead of a customer that is looking for something I dont have
There are hundreds of homes for sale in our area so showing everything isn't an option. - by Thomas
What I sell can be put in many ways as the guy or gal who doesn't sell drills but rather sells a way to make a hole for an electrical outlet so new lighting can be installed around the pool so a July 4th party can be arranged celebrating Independence Day. So it's a drill, I guess. Well it is a drill.

I sell nutrition specific to health needs and they are called "functional formulas" for example one product clinically shown to improve healthy joint functions and in many cases give the body what it needs to repair connective and joint tissue. In that case I may be selling back to playing tennis or golf, spending time with family and friends more frequently, and so on.

I also sell a business opportunity sometimes called selling a dream or offering a home based business opportunity with the potential for earning immediate and residual income. That can be called selling the ability to put time freedom and financial freedom in one's life.

So I help those who enlist my help feel better, live better and do better. What I like about what I sell is watching the results people get from using our products and building their businesses; also, I like the personal freedom my twelve year career now gives me having the freedom of creativity and not having to report to a boss or job. I love that!

I also love working with my wife and having built an international business watching exponentional growth and the power of leveraging massive time and energy into the creation of a distribution network, I'm still amazed at how this happens and the continual potential.

What I don't like is watching people fail in their commitments to achieving something they say they wanted to achieve. Although I can only walk away from that situation and understand that, it still maks me feel badly for the person. Yet people get what they want and that's always going to be true.

Also, I don't like some of the communication problems we have to untangle when people fail to communicate clearly and fail to be teachable and coachable and to learn the A, B, Cs of how our business model works. Working sometimes with people on different levels of distribution who are brand new is challenging when they either haven't been given good guidence or neglected to get it.

I don't like the attrition but it happens in every industry in every business.

Overall, there's nothing I can say I dislike with strong emotion and I believe those who come to be very confident in what they do, love what they do, and continue to learn from what they do never really see much they dislike that isn't quickly put into the "another learning situation" opportunity box.

MitchM - by MitchM
I sell dreams.

If you have dreamed of a better life it is really my job to show you how to get that life. And I show as much patience as you need me to show to get you to the point where you not only understand it is possible but know how to go about making your dreams come true.

It is the most rewarding of all careers. Not only the juice or excitement from the success of making the sale but watching other bloom and change their lives. - by Gold Calling
I sell aftermarket auto parts. The business has some funding issues at the moment, which are extremely damning, but my only other complaint would be that it seems our target market is made up of low-income, poseurs. Our most popular items are of the cheapest quality and are unmistakable in the industry as being bootleg knock-offs. (It's a common trend in this industry.)

Assuming management can clean up the funding issues here pretty quick, it would be nice to begin expanding our offerings to be more performance oriented and to the upper spectrum of the automotive enthusiast communities. $300 in cheap fiberglass garbage for the average $1000 Craigslist Honda with the $50 Ebay muffler gets old really quick. I would LOVE to speak with more performance-minded individuals about the selection, installation and benefits of quality components.

I'm on the fence, though. Only time will tell. (And it's running out.) - by D.M055
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.