Home > Closing > One Call close

One Call close

Does anyone have a recommendation of a book that covers "one call close" techniques?

I'm surprised to not find many (or any) sales book on one call closes. I know there must be a ton of info out there, but it is only a chapter or two in another book. That makes it hard to find.. at least for me.

Thanks - by tbeezy
TB...

What type of product do you sell?

Just curious.

Sell4alivn - by Sell4alivn
windows, siding, doors, gutters - by tbeezy
I think the best thing you can do for learning a one call close is to master the sales process. That coupled with an unwavering belief in your product and a desire to put the prospects needs ahead of your own, you can't help but close the sale on the first call or disqualify the prospect and move on to the next. - by Jim Klein
I think the best thing you can do for learning a one call close is to master the sales process. That coupled with an unwavering belief in your product and a desire to put the prospects needs ahead of your own, you can't help but close the sale on the first call or disqualify the prospect and move on to the next.
yes but that is true with any kind of sale. i am more interested in techniques that are specific to this type of sales situation (one call). - by tbeezy
When you speak of techniques I get the feeling you are looking for a magic bullet or short cut. If you go through the steps of the sales process and you truly have a prospect who is ready, willing and able to buy the close should happen without the need for techniques other than asking for the order. - by Jim Klein
When you speak of techniques I get the feeling you are looking for a magic bullet or short cut. If you go through the steps of the sales process and you truly have a prospect who is ready, willing and able to buy the close should happen without the need for techniques other than asking for the order.
I am INDEED looking for a short cut. By definition, the sales process in a one call close is much more condensed than if I met with the customer 3-4 times before asking for the order. It is a lot like comparing a screwdriver to an electric drill. Both do the same exact job, but the process is different.

So, a short cut (electric drill) isnt always bad, right?

By techniques, I mean ways to achieve need/want/trust/afford in 2-3 hours.

I agree that closing a sale is only possible when a prospect is ready, willing and able to buy. I sell top end home improvement products. Our stuff is 3-4x more expensive than what you would pay at Lowes or Home Depot.

I need to convince prospects to buy my siding for 35k when they know they can get it done for 8k.

My product demo lets people see that the product is worth the investment, but it is hard to get a commitment for 10-50k after just a few hours. - by tbeezy
Few salespeople have the skill to sell in a one-call close environment as you describe. I applaud you for wanting to learn more about it.

I spent quite a few years doing that kind of selling, so I know about the challenges you face. Here are some quick suggestions (which you already are probably doing):

- Prospects agreed to see you because they had an interest in your product. Your job, in a nutshell, is to turn that interest into revenue.

- You must build trust through your likability and your sincere concern for the prospect.

- You must anticipate objections in your presentation to knock them down before the prospect discloses any false or real objection. Prospects love the status quo and they get paralyzed by it. You must unparalyze the prospect.

- You must get the prospect to agree to minor closes throughout the process, which build sales momentum to the final close. If they can't agree on minor points throughout the process, they'll never agree to purchase.

- You must close flawlessly with no hesitation.

- Even though you knocked down objections in your presentation, you still have to be prepared for them because they'll be there 99% of the time. Know what to do and what to say for every common objection ahead of time (we need to think about it, it costs too much, etc, etc.) so when they come up you're well prepared to handle them.

- You almost always have to ask for the business several times, or until a real objection disqualifies the prospect.

Obviously, volumes could be written about one-call close selling, so this is just a brief discussion of some of the basic concepts.

Btw, I recently had a conversation with another sales trainer (corporate guy) who implied that B2C selling was not real selling (you can read the story on one of my recent blog posts if you wish). Some of the most highly skilled salespeople in the profession do the kind of selling you do, tbeezy.

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson

Obviously, volumes could be written about one-call close selling, so this is just a brief discussion of some of the basic concepts.

Skip Anderson
Thats what I thought, but I can't find ANYTHING that has more than a few pages on the subject.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some great ideas!!

Tyler - by tbeezy
I am INDEED looking for a short cut. By definition, the sales process in a one call close is much more condensed than if I met with the customer 3-4 times before asking for the order. It is a lot like comparing a screwdriver to an electric drill. Both do the same exact job, but the process is different.
why is the sales process more condensed? you're still doing the same things, identifiying needs, meeting them, dealing with objections, etc. there IS no short cut, in my experience, if you follow the process and do the job right, then the close is effortless.

I have always believed that a failure to close is MY fault, not the fault of the customer. It means _I_ did something wrong somewhere.

remember there are no low probability prospects, only low probability sales people

Pat - by toolguy_35
Sell It Today, Sell It Now — Mastering the Art of the One-Call Close™ CD #16283

The book & the CD Set..............

I help businesses in Telecommunications and 70% all of the purchases are on the first call, clients spend between 12-70K in 40 minutes.

The other 30% are 70K plus and require more time.

I love this CD set and it uses a very simple thermometer to register degrees of resistance and dominant reasons to buy.

Hope you enjoy its sucess as much as i have thmbp2;

BTW: I dont werk for Hopkins lagh2; - by PiJiL
Try Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale.
I too am a one-close sales professional and yes it is a learned skill that can not be learned with one book or video tape. This book will help you with that closing ratio, but do not expect to be closing anything over 25% right away. ( the most accepted closing ratio on one sits is around 30%). It took me 20 years of B2C learning and selling to have a consistent 50-55 percent ratio.I commend you on wanting to learn this side of sales and welcome to the race.

sellin4alivinthmbp2; - by sellin4alivin
Try Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale.
I too am a one-close sales professional and yes it is a learned skill that can not be learned with one book or video tape. This book will help you with that closing ratio, but do not expect to be closing anything over 25% right away. ( the most accepted closing ratio on one sits is around 30%). It took me 20 years of B2C learning and selling to have a consistent 50-55 percent ratio.I commend you on wanting to learn this side of sales and welcome to the race.

sellin4alivinthmbp2;
Conversion rate in this type of sales is effected by lead generation source. If the lead comes from a direct response marketing campaign such as print or broadcast advertising, 50-55 percent would be modest for a skilled professional. If the lead is generated by a call center or by a give-away program, conversation rate would be considerably lower.

In any event, in front of qualified, ready-willing-able propects, a good closing rate can be above 85 percent, even in the face of competition.

Skip's advice on this topic is very sound. However "You must close flawlessly with no hesitation." would benefit from further clarification. - by Ace Coldiron
Conversion rate in this type of sales is effected by lead generation source. If the lead comes from a direct response marketing campaign such as print or broadcast advertising, 50-55 percent would be modest for a skilled professional. If the lead is generated by a call center or by a give-away program, conversation rate would be considerably lower.

In any event, in front of qualified, ready-willing-able prospects, a good closing rate can be above 85 percent, even in the face of competition.

Skip's advice on this topic is very sound. However "You must close flawlessly with no hesitation." would benefit from further clarification.

I do agree with you Ace, but, windows and doors are a very competitive field and we deal with a slew of people whom have no idea of budgets or have unrealistic price expectations. Marketing is always hit and miss with being able to generate qualified buyers. I have a 90% closing ratio on inbound appointments and referrals. Give me anyone who says they can achieve an 85% constant closing ratio on cold called telemarket leads and I attach myself to their hip for a week. - by sellin4alivin
Read Brian Tracy ,Zig Ziglar,Tom Hopkins
They are apliicable to one call closing. Your closings you use today can be used in the one call closing by simply adding a closing statement concerning moving forward today.
What is stopping you today from moving forward .Do you have concerns about my proposal that is making you hesitate today.etc. - by rich34232
Oh boy, I give those a lot of credit for wanting to learn the one call close. I've done that in the past for 2 years selling home improvements with no base salary and commission pay only. However it was highly rewarding and life changing. Imo, if you can create a sense of urgency and develop an attitude to not take no for an answer, you'll do just fine. Good luck and keep learning! - by Polysquared
Oh boy, I give those a lot of credit for wanting to learn the one call close. I've done that in the past for 2 years selling home improvements with no base salary and commission pay only. However it was highly rewarding and life changing. Imo, if you can create a sense of urgency and develop an attitude to not take no for an answer, you'll do just fine. Good luck and keep learning!
Share with us examples of how you create a sense of urgency and the behavour reflected in not taking no from a customer--so that others can understand.

I'm wondering why there would be an urgency from one day to the next--unless of course the home had suffered crisis-type damage, - by Gary A Boye
Share with us examples of how you create a sense of urgency and the behavour reflected in not taking no from a customer--so that others can understand.

I'm wondering why there would be an urgency from one day to the next--unless of course the home had suffered crisis-type damage,
This was one of the many sales tactics I've learned in the past and please forgive me for those that experienced such case.

Exactly, the home is under severe damage and it needs immediate attention. Unfortunately, it can't wait any longer, the cost of repair is unimaginable. If this was my house, I would've got it done today.

However, you've got some great news! I've just checked with my boss and it's only going to cost you a fraction of what it normally would cost. And here's why, you're going to love this part! This week, four of our installers got no projects going this week and that's a fixed cost for the company. So what he had decided is that instead of our installers moping around and doing nothing, we're just going to start on your house. How do I spell your last name? - by Polysquared
However, you've got some great news! I've just checked with my boss and it's only going to cost you a fraction of what it normally would cost. And here's why, you're going to love this part! This week, four of our installers got no projects going this week and that's a fixed cost for the company. So what he had decided is that instead of our installers moping around and doing nothing, we're just going to start on your house. How do I spell your last name?
In those cases have you really just checked with your boss? Do you always have four installers who "got no" projects going this week?

Or are you just making it up to create a sense of urgency? - by Gary A Boye
Here is my question.... whether or not you've got 4 installers sitting around, is there really a savings and are they going to benefit by a true discount to get work started.

Aloha... :cool: - by rattus58
There seems to be a lot of discussion here about one-call closing home improvement sales, and much of that seems to involve false methods of creating urgency.

Please understand that methods of creating false urgency work only on very unsophisticated consumers, and that that pool of prospects is becoming increasingly smaller every day.

There are real and credible ways of creating sufficient urgency close sales on the first call, and that has been the focus of my career as a sales trainer over the past 10 years.

Over the years before that I made a substantial income doing what I teach today. So, I speak from experience when I say that the essential element of being able to close on the first call is to have selling system in place that considers the entirety of the buying decision from the prospects perspective.

There are many such systems, mine and many others. The key is to learn that system and devote your attention to mastering it. - by thesalesgiant
There seems to be a lot of discussion here about one-call closing home improvement sales, and much of that seems to involve false methods of creating urgency.

Please understand that methods of creating false urgency work only on very unsophisticated consumers, and that that pool of prospects is becoming increasingly smaller every day.

There are real and credible ways of creating sufficient urgency close sales on the first call, and that has been the focus of my career as a sales trainer over the past 10 years.

Over the years before that I made a substantial income doing what I teach today. So, I speak from experience when I say that the essential element of being able to close on the first call is to have selling system in place that considers the entirety of the buying decision from the prospects perspective.

There are many such systems, mine and many others. The key is to learn that system and devote your attention to mastering it.
Excellent post. The part I put in bold is critical. - by Gary A Boye
Ok, let me start out by saying that I spent most of my sales days selling bigger ticket items B2B and the lead time could be long due to manufacturers needing to test our products in production trials.

Having said that some of my customers would commit to a trial on day one if the product solved a pressing problem they had.

I recall that Rackham said in SPIN Selling that he proved the questioning approach is superior in selling big ticket items. He also wrote in that book that a more directive approach seemed better for selling smaller ticket items. (what's small ticket and what's big?)

Earlier someone mentioned getting people to string "yes"es together and that is a more directive approach. Closed versus open questions to some extent.

The book I would recommend would be "Persuasion Engineering". It's written by Richard Bandler who modeled Ben Feldman's selling to create a lot of what is in the book. I believe Ben was a legendary door-to-door insurance salesman. The book is really a transcript of a course that Richard runs in Orlando which makes it an unusual read but there's good info in there. - by Greg Woodley
Thanks Gary.

Closing sales on one-call is difficult and there are no shortcuts. One must satisfy the prospect on every aspect of the buying decision and do so very thoroughly. They can have no reservation, however minor, or they will not buy.

I think, to a degree, extra time for the decision after the first sales call can allows sales to be made with slightly less than 100% certainty, but to overcome the inertia of procrastination and the hesitancy to make decisions on the first visit, the customer has to be absolutely certain. - by thesalesgiant
I am INDEED looking for a short cut. By definition, the sales process in a one call close is much more condensed than if I met with the customer 3-4 times before asking for the order.
A one call close starts with the way, and with whom, the the appointment is set up.

Top sales producers do not "ask for the order." Their prospects offer to buy. Whether of not they accomplish that in one call or several, depends on the type of product or service they are selling.

It's easy to sell a car or a $1mm annuity in one call. It's very difficult to sell $50 million of capital equipment in less that 3 calls. - by JacquesWerth
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.