Home > Cold Calling > Direct Peddling AKA Street Hawking

Direct Peddling AKA Street Hawking

Shirley - my wife - and I spent five months in Malaysia and Singapore when our company opened an office in PJ outside KL - we went in two and a half month segments four months apart - and direct peddling or sidewalk hawking was rampant and mostly allowed anywhere outside and in open aired stalls [ouside eating areas].

Probably much of what these peddlers sold was bootleg - CDs, designer purses, T-shirts, you name it.

Sitting outside drinking tea or juice or coffee with plates of local sea food, frogs -whole frogs minus heads - in rice, crock pot rice & meat dinners, noodles, jungle veggies, etc. peddlers would go table to table offering their wares.

They never tried to talk us into buying anything, never made a pitch for what they had other than show us and ask us if we wanted it, and when we declined they smiled, said OKAY and moved on.

Is there anything to learn in that for the sophisticated kinds of sales many of you do in your jobs?, or not, and if so or not what is it? - by MitchM
Is there anything to learn in that for the sophisticated kinds of sales many of you do in your jobs?, or not, and if so or not what is it?
Wow that is an interesting scenario and question. I can't say that I have a comment, at this time, only that it reminds me of the tourist restaurants in my area, where women walk up to your table and model their stupid outfits and tell you about the clothing shop around the corner. As you might have guessed by my tone, I get irritated by it, but that is in the U.S. in OUR culture (we generally do not eat decapitated frogs either). - by RainMaker
Wow that is an interesting scenario and question. I can't say that I have a comment, at this time, only that it reminds me of the tourist restaurants in my area, where women walk up to your table and model their stupid outfits and tell you about the clothing shop around the corner. As you might have guessed by my tone, I get irritated by it, but that is in the U.S. in OUR culture (we generally do not eat decapitated frogs either).
I found it entertaining and because they didn't harass us there was no displeasure other than the question of authenticity of what they were selling.

Also, I was told this is what many do around the world to survive - not bootleg necessarily - which I've seen in other countries - so the idea of selling on the streets for a living if that's your only option is appealing to me.

I watched teenage girls peddle in Mexico - hawking cheap bracelets on the streets - thinking these peddlers with little hope for more than money for food and clothing may be destined to a life of hand to mouth.

It also caused me to reflect on my fellow Americans who scorn working minimum wage when they have no other skills as if it's below their dignity - or creating a job such as cleaning the gutters of the elderly, etc.

That's anothe topic - having taught high school ten years I know the biases of public education.

BUT any lessons here for sales in general? - by MitchM
I found it entertaining and because they didn't harass us there was no displeasure other than the question of authenticity of what they were selling.

I watched teenage girls peddle in Mexico - hawking cheap bracelets on the streets - thinking these peddlers with little hope for more than money for food and clothing may be destined to a life of hand to mouth.

BUT any lessons here for sales in general?
First, it is very sad.

Regarding your actual question, I would say it makes a statement about working the numbers and perseverence. Also, it makes me appreciate the fact that I have the ability to further target my prospects beyond the fact that they eat lunch. - by RainMaker
we generally do not.......
Obviously you two have never had GOOD decapitated frogs. You ever come to Buffalo....I'll take you to a place.... - by Gary Boye
Obviously you two have never had GOOD decapitated frogs. You ever come to Buffalo....I'll take you to a place....
You are too funny, Gary!LOL Someday I'll visit and ask you to take me to that place.

The frogs I ate were whole - minus the head - in a spicy rice porridge. - by MitchM
Obviously you two have never had GOOD decapitated frogs. You ever come to Buffalo....I'll take you to a place....
My brother in law owned a restaurant in Buffalo...funny, he never mentioned his frog dishes to me. - by RainMaker
My brother in law owned a restaurant in Buffalo...funny, he never mentioned his frog dishes to me.
It figures. A lot of people think we're really into chicken wings--but that's strictly for the tourists. - by Gary Boye
It figures. A lot of people think we're really into chicken wings--but that's strictly for the tourists.
You upstate New Yorkers are a crazy lot!! (I have a reliable source on that...) - by RainMaker
Is there anything to learn in that for the sophisticated kinds of sales many of you do in your jobs?, or not, and if so or not what is it?
How about... get out and see the people. :) - by SalesGuy
its Street selling and a lot like that in NY they dont try to convince you to buy anything they show you and if you buy you buy - by Sanddollar
My business is network marketing which I've been doing with one company ten years - with my wife - we have a love for the products and the company itself - and typically we promote an opportunity to work from home validated by the company history and products.

Two things happen - one is a conversation through meeting someone [or a person from the past] and the conversation leads to what do you do, etc.

The other thing that happens - that we do - is offer people an opportunity to look at a business from home. We also offer the products.

I've gotten away from trying to overcome objections or resistance - it's pretty much a yes or no situation - like the street peddlers I've met, not the pesty ones.

MitchM - by MitchM
I've gotten away from trying to overcome objections or resistance - it's pretty much a yes or no situation - like the street peddlers I've met, not the pesty ones.
Yes or No? What are you labeling as Objections or Resistance? - by fred
In any conversation when the other person objects to anything - price, ingredients, the business of network marketing - by that I mean makes a statement indicating a question that might be interpreted as negative or argumentative or one of resistance - I ask quesitions to clarify the questions BUT wanting to second guess or assume the reason behind the question.

As long as the questions are answered honestly and the conversation is clear and moving in an intelligent and thoughtful direction it continues. BUT when my questions are met with negative answers, resistance or vague and incomplete answers - that indicates someone who really doesn't want to continue the dialogue - I'll end it.

After reading many books on overcoming objections and using different approaches and systems to do that I threw most of it away because I didn't like that way of doing business, fred. Obviously I ask and answer questions out of a genuine desire to move forward - "Fred, if the answer is satisfactoy will you want_____________?" BUT, if the answers are objections and resistance that I hear as argumentative, I end the conversation.

So what I'm labeling as Objections and Resistance are really what I decide are argumentative, negative statements or questions.

Jacque Werth's "High Probibility Selling" has been a great help to me.
MitchM - by MitchM
In any conversation when the other person objects to anything - price, ingredients, the business of network marketing - by that I mean makes a statement indicating a question that might be interpreted as negative or argumentative or one of resistance - I ask quesitions to clarify the questions BUT wanting to second guess or assume the reason behind the question.

As long as the questions are answered honestly and the conversation is clear and moving in an intelligent and thoughtful direction it continues. BUT when my questions are met with negative answers, resistance or vague and incomplete answers - that indicates someone who really doesn't want to continue the dialogue - I'll end it.

After reading many books on overcoming objections and using different approaches and systems to do that I threw most of it away because I didn't like that way of doing business, fred. Obviously I ask and answer questions out of a genuine desire to move forward - "Fred, if the answer is satisfactoy will you want_____________?" BUT, if the answers are objections and resistance that I hear as argumentative, I end the conversation.

So what I'm labeling as Objections and Resistance are really what I decide are argumentative, negative statements or questions.

Jacque Werth's "High Probibility Selling" has been a great help to me.
MitchM
Mitch your post seems at odds with your previous statement;

"I've gotten away from trying to overcome objections or resistance - it's pretty much a yes or no situation - like the street peddlers I've met, not the pesty ones."
I have to ask Mitch, what is it with you and the High Probability remarks? In the past it looked like you couldn't post in a thread without posting a link to HPS or saying something about how HPS saved your life or something along those lines. Now in this thread, out of the blue and out of context, you do it again. Do others a favor and give it a rest man. - by WobblyBox
If want to mention a book in a post that helped me and it's relevant to the post I'll mention it - same for you or whatever you want t post what's your problem?

MitchM - by MitchM
what's your problem?
Mitch, as I pointed out your recent praise for HPS was out of the blue and out of context at least from my perspective. I question your motives.

And since you're asking... many of your posts seem at odds with each other like the one I commented about. I question your motives on those too. - by WobblyBox
You must be someone who mistrusts people - I don't look at things that way but understand it. Why would I have motives? I don't know Mr. Werth personally and have never taken his courses - my motive was to say something about what I do - everything has a motive - that's it.

I'm at odds with no one.

MitchM - by MitchM
I think I understand what Wobbly is saying about your posts Mitch.

A few of your threads came across as "I don't do that-it either happens or it doesn't" but through later questioning it seemed that you did. I remember seeing a few recent threads about closing, referrals, and objections where this happened. - by Agent Smith
At this point, Mitch, we may have to bring you in for further questioning.

Make sure you have your facts straight. - by Gary Boye
I may or may not have my facts straight - any one of us keeping our truths and facts separate and remembering what they are in some order is sometimes challenging and there are many much better that then I am.

I don't mind being questioned - it gives me a field of information fascinating enough in itself: study of questions and what they might mean and why. BUT it's an exercise I don't spend much time doing these days, Gary. Once I was in a line-up circa 1965 at the tender age of twenty - I was hauled in for being drunk and they struck me in the holding tank downtown Detroit then ushered me into a line-up - there I was standing with this line-up or really creepy men standing against a pealing gray wall with red height lines - we were staring into bright flood lights and a voice had each of us step up and say something.

Another time younger I was in an interrogation room under the bright lights - that time I was sixteen and was put on probation for six months having to report to a probation officer who told me to get a job in a girls shoe store so I could look up their legs. Quaint advice to a sixteen year old's ears.

Agent & Co. one of my bard buddies Walt Whitman boasted and reveled in contradictions - well, I don't do that but if someone feels I do and I do [or don't do] there are worse crimes in this world to go under the bright lights for.

Wobble, did AZ get it right? I like aout of the blue - I know some don't - but one man's out-of-the-blue is another's fit-right-in to me.

So it goes and the enemy - or best friend, sometimes, is us.

MitchM - by MitchM
Make sure you have your facts straight.
Do you see this differently Gary? - by Agent Smith
I may or may not have my facts straight - any one of us keeping our truths and facts separate and remembering what they are in some order is sometimes challenging and there are many much better that then I am.
Mitch, considering you're still actively selling, the inability to remember if you "Do or Do Not" ask for the order, "Do or Do Not" handle objections, etc. during your sales calls might signal a more serious problem. It's something to think about. - by Agent Smith
Nah - it'a not a problem.

You take care - keep your facts straight.

MitchM - by MitchM
Do you see this differently Gary?
By "this", I'm assuming you mean Mitch and/or his posts.

It's difficult to address your question if it means talking anout Mitch in the third person mode. I think he has less of what he has termed a "cyber perona" here, and I like that about him.

Most people that post on this forum share next to nothing about themselves or their beliefs. He does.

So if I see things differently, it would probably because I place much more weight on the thoughts of those who reveal more of themselves. Mitch sometimes talks in words that I don't understand, but I do find him credible.

When he talks about his affinity for High Probability Selling, I do believe in the sincerity of his edification. But I don't think his comments are of that much interest to others here about that subject. Thus, I can honor WobblyBox's annoyance.

However, I tried to make a subtle point that nobody is really under any obligation here to undergo questioning by anybody else. Your comments regarding that made you sound like a city desk reporter.

Once I read on another thread some statistics about your own activities, and simple math would show that you were buying and selling distressed properties at the rate of over one per week. I assume the margin on that would put you in a relatively enormous income bracket--if what you said is true.

Now Mitch tells about his success with network marketing. And he talks about a method he learned which happens to be out of a book. He frequently mentions that book. I think he does it to contribute something here---not to promote someone else's business.

It would be wonderful if others here who are successful also share what they believe has brought them success. How about yourself? How do you buy and sell over fifty distressed properties a year and make that much money? How would your methods differ from from what Mitch has shared? Specifically.

Of course, as I've said, you are certainly under no obligation to answer. - by Gary Boye
By "this", I'm assuming you mean Mitch and/or his posts.
I was referring to a few of Mitch's posts. Here is what I wrote:
A few of your threads came across as "I don't do that-it either happens or it doesn't" but through later questioning it seemed that you did. I remember seeing a few recent threads about closing, referrals, and objections where this happened.
However, I tried to make a subtle point that nobody is really under any obligation here to undergo questioning by anybody else.
I assumed Mitch would already have known this.

Your comments regarding that made you sound like a city desk reporter.
Which comments regarding that sounded like a city desk reporter?

Once I read on another thread some statistics about your own activities, and simple math would show that you were buying and selling distressed properties at the rate of over one per week. I assume the margin on that would put you in a relatively enormous income bracket--if what you said is true.
Are you referring to my comments in this thread http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-1951.html - by Agent Smith
Gary posted a good picture of my motives and why and what I post here - it was honest and clear. I agree with Gary that learning something about what yu feel makes you the successful person you are would be of value to me - maybe you've posted that elsewhere, AS.

I come here to pass the time away, learn something, maybe give someone else food for thought - that's it.

MitchM - by MitchM
I agree with Gary that learning something about what yu feel makes you the successful person you are would be of value to me - maybe you've posted that elsewhere, AS.
MitchM
I'm not in real estate. But I have to say that anyone that consistenty sells over 50 properties a year with only 1.5 appoinments a week would certainly have something that would be of great benefit to many of the real estate people here.

The amazing thing is that, in spite of all the real estate people here, nobody has asked him questions about how he does it.

As a matter of fact, more people seem concerned about what YOU do, Mitch, and you're in network marketing selling nutritional products---not real estate. - by Gary Boye
My local friends in real estate have given me lots of insights into our local market - a buyers market now - and what's makes them successful. Four in particular are very successful - three residential and one commercial.

All four are committed to their professions - three have worked in real estate for at least twenty-five years and the other who is really doing well twelve very intense years [in residential]

The three in for the long haul have lots of long time community relationships and sales leading into future sales with referrals and kids. The one in twelve years pumps out the hours, has a superb staff, and works target numbers every week - very organized.

All four use systems - systems include their staffs with specific duties.

That's the little I know - what do you do AS?

MitchM - by MitchM
My local friends in real estate have given me lots of insights into our local market - a buyers market now - and what's makes them successful. Four in particular are very successful - three residential and one commercial.

All four are committed to their professions - three have worked in real estate for at least twenty-five years and the other who is really doing well twelve very intense years [in residential]

The three in for the long haul have lots of long time community relationships and sales leading into future sales with referrals and kids. The one in twelve years pumps out the hours, has a superb staff, and works target numbers every week - very organized.

All four use systems - systems include their staffs with specific duties.

That's the little I know - what do you do AS?

MitchM
Mitch, have they ever shared how many appointments they do a week to be successful in their system? And what their closing ratio is? - by Gary Boye
No! I've never asked them but I could - I know they are on the job every day - I'll ask at least two of them closest to me, Gary.
Mitcham - by MitchM
No! I've never asked them but I could - I know they are on the job every day - I'll ask at least two of them closest to me, Gary.
Mitcham
I was just curious. I have had family in real estate. One flopped. The he became a top producer in financial planning. - by Gary Boye
Lotsa homes on the market here - too many but good for buyers if sellers will meet their prices - my friend Ron says they wait for calls from ads, mail outs and get fifty+ weekly [wanting to buy, wanting to sell], accept ten to fifteen weekly to work with, and will close on five to seven of the ten to fifteen - this season.

MitchM - by MitchM
I passed on going to the other thread.
That's too bad. I think you would have liked it. ;bg - by Agent Smith
I looked at both - very generic and not especially revealing or instructive - but appreciated for what they're worth.

The best to you.

Mike - by MitchM
Wobble, did AZ get it right? I like aout of the blue - I know some don't - but one man's out-of-the-blue is another's fit-right-in to me.
Mitch, I didn't see AZ's post but Agent Smith's hit the mark.

... Thus, I can honor WobblyBox's annoyance.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

That's too bad. I think you would have liked it.
I enjoyed your post on strategy. - by WobblyBox
Hi WB - I really don't pay attention to who hits a mark here - so much is passing fancy and marks get lost, perspectives get twisted by creative cutting and pasting like a lawyer does - anything out of context can make sense when you use it. Yea, sometimes I get a name wrong too - is that what I did.

It't much more important for me that I might pick up something of interest or learn something here - I'm not here for splitting hairs or proving you're right and I'm wrong and visa versa - just conversation in passing.

I've been on lots of forums and it still amazes me - but I'm not surprised any more - that people actually come into a public place and through the posting of threads get angry, argue, and go through all kinds of emotions that you might expect sometimes face to face with people. I understand it as in the past I did that a few times.

I also understand the desire to want to understand - I do the best to post clearly so people understand what I have to say - they can agree or not - but I don't spend much time going over and over. This is already too much.

Gary - did you get the numbers I posted from Ron's Real Estate?

The very best to all.

MitchM - by MitchM
Ten Bucks says Gary read the other thread. ;st - by SalesGuy
Ten Bucks says Gary read the other thread. ;st
I wouldn't take that bet. ;bg - by Agent Smith
I wouldn't take that bet. ;bg
I don't blame you.

On a different note, no offense but 50 homes a year doesn't sound too difficult (depending on the homes) for a seasoned agent. Are you working part time or something? - by SalesGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.