Home > Cold Calling > Materials left behind when cold canvassing

Materials left behind when cold canvassing

It has always been my belief not to mess with leaving much behind when I pop into a business and the owner is not in. I don't like to waste materials and I just don't think people take the time to read them.

I have recently added a free report to my website to pull leads into my funnel (to quote bald Dog.) I was thinking about making a postcard (to which my business card would be stapled) to leave behind instead of simply leaving a card. The post card will have a headline stating a problem and a simple offer of the free report (that will provide a solution).

Here is my dilemma. My company name IS my website name: WithCoupon.com. So, of course, there is a large logo on my business card announcing: WithCoupon. However, I want to lead this visitor directly to the page that offers the free report, but the free report is not on my homepage because the home page is for consumers not business subscribers. I don't however want to complicate the offer by making them go to a sub page with a longer name. Or I don't want to have to tell them to click the link for Small Business Owners to get to the page with the free report.

I decided to create a couple independent domains to link directly to the free report page (depending on the slant of the card. ie: FlopStopper.com, CutAdvertising.com etc.).

Here is my question: Is it bad marketing to send them to a domain (used as a doorway) that does not reinforce my company name? Or would it be confusing to say the report is available at: CutAdvertising.com when my business card has withcoupon.com plastered all over it? - by RainMaker
I was faced with that a few years ago. I had separate business cards printed that, like you, had my domain name in big letters. But I put a blank underscore after it. Then--I could direct people to the exact page by just writing in the word. The effect was interesting, because before I handed them the card I would be penning something which drew their interest, influenced them to actually look at the card, and hopefully, to follow up. It looked like this:

WWW.THEDOMAIN.COM/___________

In your case, after the logo-like domain, you would simply write in a word like "free" or "report". Create a subweb for that.

The nice thing is that you can use the same card for multiple offers contained on different free-standing pages. You could even password protect them and hand out "secret passwords" to obtain the FREE report. - by Gary Boye
Interesting idea. I especially like the password...But then I might feel obligated to make that page the actual report as opposed page with the box asking for name and email address to received free report by email. That would defeat the purpose.

How did that work out? Do you still do it? - by RainMaker
You wouldn't have to. In effect, you're accomplishing the same thing that you started out with. The only difference is that you maintain your brand on the card. All you're adding is a blank line. No matter how they get to the page with the email box, you're still doing the same thing. It's still a two click process.

It worked well--but I did not use the idea for purposes similar to yours. - by Gary Boye
I meant if I used a password...which is an interesting effect. But it might seem strange to password a page that has a box asking for name and email address..(as opposed to passwording the report itself. I would think adding a password might add intrigue - by RainMaker
Rainmaker, I wouldn't consider the concept "bad marketing" or "confusing" to send a potential buyer to a different domain. As for reinforcing your company name you can still accomplish that on the different domain. For instance, "Sponsored by, Provided by, etc." - by SalesGuy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.