Home > Cold Calling > question about the cold calling is a waste of time book

question about the cold calling is a waste of time book

is the never cold call again book the same as the "cold calling is a waste of time"(in the information age)?

basically ive decided to give the system a try even though i dont mind cold calling and i have good success with it some of the techniques caught my eye and i would like to give it a shot...

however one book is like 12 bucks and the other is 97 bucks... so i just wanted to see if they were the same deal not including the extra bonus stuff... - by bigb3433
Do not waste your time or money on the Cold Calling is a Waste of Time ($97) book.

It is nothing more than anecdotal tales of one salesperson's experience. There is nothing in that book that can't be learned by subscribing to a couple of sales magazines, reading the sales blogs (like this one) and using common sense.

I was curious about the pitch for the book and figured that the money-back guarantee protected me. I ordered it, read the online version that you are initially linked to. When I got the book (sent via FedEx 2nd day - their choice, not mine), I never even unwrapped it. The return instructions are cryptic and involved and they charge a fee to recover shipping charges.

Selling the book is a great business, I'm sure. Buying the book is not. - by jcundiff
I have the product and found it to be excellent. It is similar to but more comprehensive than his mass-produced book on Amazon. My interpretation of it is that it's step-by-step how-to material backed by real life tales from the author.

It's endorsed by Gitomer and you have to figure it's good if he's selling it on a 30 day free trial and people aren't sending it back. Yes, jcundiff, most of the material can be learned for free by scouring the internet, but isn't that true of most books? You're paying the cover price as a service for all of the relevant information in one place.

I'd recommend it, even if you learned only one new technique it's still paying for itself. - by JThorley65
JThorley65,

I'd be curious to know one thing you got out of that book that justifies the price?

Although I have a lot respect for Jeff Gitomer, I don't consider him the be-all, end-all of selling. - by jcundiff
It's endorsed by Gitomer and you have to figure it's good if he's selling it on a 30 day free trial and people aren't sending it back.
I won't comment on the material but I will point out that... considering how much authors and trainers engage in cross-promotion... an endorsement from another author and trainer doesn't carry that much weight. As for a 30 day free trial... that is marketing 101... and to be expected. - by SpeedRacer
... considering how much authors and trainers engage in cross-promotion... an endorsement from another author and trainer doesn't carry that much weight.
These days most "Bonus Offers" are nothing more than cross-promotion and list building. You know the drill - buy this book/cd/whatever and get thousands of dollars worth of free bonus material from leading experts/trainers/whomever. You buy the book, hit the landing page for the bonus offer only to find out that to get the bonus materials you have to subscribe to a newsletter/list or that the bonus materials are something you could have downloaded off the Internet.

however one book is like 12 bucks and the other is 97 bucks... so i just wanted to see if they were the same deal not including the extra bonus stuff...
Did you ever see the extra bonus stuff? Did it match my description? - by Houston
yeah ive seen the bonus stuff some of it seems appealing but ive decided im just gonna go to B&N and pick up the print copy... just looking for new insights and opinions

im cold calling with decent success but some of his discussions about not chasing prospects and not spending my time with people who are just pulling my chain i know i can find info online but just to hear my own advice in someone elses perspective can be good... - by bigb3433
yeah ive seen the bonus stuff some of it seems appealing but ive decided im just gonna go to B&N and pick up the print copy... just looking for new insights and opinions

im cold calling with decent success but some of his discussions about not chasing prospects and not spending my time with people who are just pulling my chain i know i can find info online but just to hear my own advice in someone elses perspective can be good...
Go for it. Read the book. If you can find anything in the book that hasn't already been written a thousand times somewhere else maybe you can share it hear. Kind of like cliff notes or something. msnwnk; - by Marcus
Yeah they all cross-promote each other but I mention Gitomer because he certainly doesn't need any other author's help at this stage in the game. They all need him. So for that reason I think his endorsement carries a lot of weight.

With all due respect to all the negative nellies here, if you can actually read a book like that and get nothing out of it, you might as well just pack it in and call it quits because you're too close minded to succeed.

The only reason I responded to the post in the first place is because jcundiff's reply was really suspect since his website suggests he is a competitor to the Never Cold Call Again author. I thought it was very unprofessional. I get a lot of newsletters (Gitomer, Never Cold Call, Parinello's), and not one of them ever, ever bad mouths another author.

In all I'm pretty disappointed as a newb to this board and am afraid I won't be spending much time here anymore. - by JThorley65
JThorley65,

I'd be curious to know one thing you got out of that book that justifies the price?.
I can name a lot but for me it was the sections on carrying yourself with power and influence, and how to present profit-justified solutions that were the most valuable to me, more so than the lead-generation techniques although they're valuable too.

Like I said, if you can read that book and honestly say it wasn't worth the $12 you paid on Amazon then you are seriously deficient upstairs. - by JThorley65
With all due respect to all the negative nellies here, if you can actually read a book like that and get nothing out of it, you might as well just pack it in and call it quits because you're too close minded to succeed.
Only one person posted anything that might be considered negative and that person is entitled to his opinion about the author's work.

If my memory serves me right wasn't one of the author's book titles "Selling Sucks" or something like that? What about the author's blog, isn't it called "Scottsdale Sucks" or something like that? Am I right about the book and the blog? - by Houston
About this and other cold calling doesn't work discussions, has anyone ever noticed how those who liked the material made a few posts about it but never stuck around the discussion it when it came under scrutiny? Weird. - by Mikey
gotten about half way through the book so far.. and i must say im highly impressed with the message and what it has to offer... he talks about a lot of things ive wanted to do and gives some really good guidance on how i could make them work better...

if anything its got me excited and i honestly cant wait till monday to get out there and start working and using some of these techniques... ive been in college and working part time but now im pretty much done with school and monday marks the first day of me truly beginning my sales career

hell ive got a conference in Cincinnati tomorrow i may even do some work up there just for fun.. - by bigb3433
... he talks about a lot of things ive wanted to do and gives some really good guidance on how i could make them work better...
That's awesome, you sound excited! Which techniques do you plan to use? - by Marcus
im going to give the flyer/newsletter a try however after reading id like to redesign what i originally started using a few days ago... basically im somewhat torn between a true promotional flyer and a newsletter... i think im going to do both and i will be having a personal website built next week which will then give me a channel for my newsletter....

My industry is full of misinformation and ill informed customers and the only sources for info are the companies themselves which provide only a sales pitch and high pressure im trying to be more of a true source of info and built my rep as a true consultant by teaching people about things they didnt know.. - by bigb3433
im going to give the flyer/newsletter a try however after reading id like to redesign what i originally started using a few days ago... basically im somewhat torn between a true promotional flyer and a newsletter... i think im going to do both and i will be having a personal website built next week which will then give me a channel for my newsletter....
Just curious... what is your strategy for driving traffic to your website and which list building methods do you believe will yield the highest return? - by AZBroker
I get search engine optimization with my website but im going to use several online sources like craigslist etc... but mainly when im out passing out flyers and things like that i intend to collect peoples emails when ever possible.. - by bigb3433
I can name a lot but for me it was the sections on carrying yourself with power and influence, and how to present profit-justified solutions that were the most valuable to me, more so than the lead-generation techniques although they're valuable too.
Ok, you needed a book to tell you to walk in with confidence and to have solutions to people's issues!?!?!

That's sales 101 folks

Pat - by toolguy_35
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.