Home > Approach > converting incomplete web orders?

converting incomplete web orders?

Between inbound calls, my team and I go through the list of incomplete orders taken by our website after hours. This entails adding an item to your cart and entering your address and contact info for an accurate shipping quote. For whatever reason (*cough*tire kickers*cough*), they do not complete the purchase and a list of incomplete orders is generated.

As I know what few product lines are actually shipping at the moment, I find these incompletes to be of particular interest. The guy who, for whatever reason, did not complete his online purchase of a set of Goodyear tires might be very interested in hearing how the Vredesteins I offer are not only superior in grip and the most widely requested tires on the market right now, but that they are also 25% less expensive than the Goodyears. This example is to say that, in the quiet night time hours, prospects are visiting the site and telling us what they want to buy. Good stuff, right?

So we go through the list of incompletes as we call them and attempt contact. Often we have to leave voicemail and send an email, but I have something of an informal script that I use when leaving the message. Your thoughts?

"Hi, ______. This is Dave Moss from ABC.com. I see you were on our website last night looking at (product), but it shows up as incomplete at this end. I wanted to give you a courtesy call to be sure there were no issues with the website or questions about anything. Please give me a call back when you get a chance so I can be sure these ship to the right address. Talk to you soon!"

I don't want to be shady and lead them to believe that they have to call me to prevent me from shipping them a bunch of product they may not want or be able to pay for, but I want to sort of take the fear out of calling away by mentioning concern about the functionality of the website, while maybe suggesting that they should call, even if to make sure I don't ship anything out. It's something of a trial close and I'm fairly content with it, but I'm always open to advice.

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks! - by D.M055
I'm not a fan of the "Please give me a call back when you get a chance so I can be sure these ship to the right address" part of the script because you're not starting off on the path of trust.

Do you have an alternate script? - by Mikey
I'm not a fan of the "Please give me a call back when you get a chance so I can be sure these ship to the right address" part of the script because you're not starting off on the path of trust.

Do you have an alternate script?
Interesting... I would have felt it wasn't ideal as it seems less than confident, although I can see what you mean by the trust factor now that you mention it. If someone thought the website had issues, then got a call thinking the address was wrong, they might think we're too far gone, eh?

At one point, I had considered the margin on the item(s) they had in their cart and, if I had room to play, would mention calling me back directly as we can beat other published prices. After about five people called back with links to other sites beating the prices, the CEO got a little bent and nipped that one in the bud.

I'm open to suggestions. Like I said, I realize my goal is to get them to call me back. Given most of them are random visitors, it doesn't seem that I should follow up beyond that to press the issue. Or should I?

How might I alter this script for better results? I'm open to trying something different and seeing what becomes of it. - by D.M055
Since you have their telephone number you could treat it like a cold call and run an offer by them like you would anyone else. Do you have a cold calling offer? - by Mikey
Since you have their telephone number you could treat it like a cold call and run an offer by them like you would anyone else. Do you have a cold calling offer?
Don't have a cold calling offer off hand. If I have to leave a message, I want to get them to call back. Can't sell someone something without really speaking to them.

Just looking for input, really. Any suggestions would be welcome. - by D.M055
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.