Home > Cold Calling > Is the owner or decision maker available?

Is the owner or decision maker available?

I just answered a call where the salesperson asked, "Is the owner or decision maker available?" I'm not a business so I don't know how they got my number but it did make me wonder if that opener ever works. I don't think it's very good. What do you think? - by Thomas
I wouldn't use it.. How did you feel when he said it to you? It would make ME feel like that person doesnt want to talk to ME at all and is just trying to bypass ME. - by Jaron Watkins
Dont want to be a fence sitter with my response as its horses for courses............

Every call is a flip of the coin and some people can say horrific things and still get the appt :cu - by PiJiL
Dont want to be a fence sitter with my response as its horses for courses............

Every call is a flip of the coin and some people can say horrific things and still get the appt
How is every call a flip of the coin? :cu - by Mikey
How is every call a flip of the coin? :cu
Say the same thing to two people and get two completely different answers ;co - by PiJiL
I would say that every call is a roll of the dice, 1-3 beeing a good result, 4-6 ending with no result*. But with practice and learning we can change the odds, making 1-4 or even 1-5 a positive result.

*I wanted to edit this remark, it did say that 4-6 beeing a bad result but actually there is no such thing as a bad result with a cold call, just a no result.

Theodore roosevelt once said "In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst you thing you can do is nothing." - by Jaron Watkins
Well that kind of opening is pretty obvious what that person is trying to do and that is sell you something.stcktng; The thing is if they would have done their prospecting homework they would atleat know the name of the person they were contacting even if they did not have a first name. I always hear this, Is Mr. Smith home? Then I always ask who is calling and then if it is a company I don't wish to talk to I hang up. This saves eveybody time including the Salesmen. - by MoneyMaker
Thanks for all of the replies. thmbp2;

Say the same thing to two people and get two completely different answers ;co
Yeah but in practice good scripts do better than 50/50. - by Thomas
too right thmbp2; - by PiJiL
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.