Home > Education > General vs. Job specific sales training

General vs. Job specific sales training

I was having coffee this morning with a lady who works for a food distributor. I asked her about the sales training and she said the company conducts the sales training for the new reps in-house. Is that common? - by Thomas
I think it is, until that company Is sold on a process. the last dealership was in house, until the three owners got sold on a process called cardone.

the company I work for now Is all self training, which is why I troll here,. - by Jaron Watkins
Yes, it's common. However, it's almost as common for an employer to contract with a provider to provide that training. The most common practice of all is, as Jaron pointed out, to have NO training (unfortunately). - by Skip Anderson
I was having coffee this morning with a lady who works for a food distributor. I asked her about the sales training and she said the company conducts the sales training for the new reps in-house. Is that common?
From what I've noticed larger companies have dedicated in-house training maybe like the distributor you're talking about where others like a small business have their own brand of loosely put together or non-existent training. - by Houston
I wonder what percentage of salespeople who don't receive sales training at work go looking for it elsewhere? - by Thomas
My current company conducts in house sales training but our company has trainers that have been to train the trainer for programs like Strategic Selling and S.P.I.N. Selling.

My previous two companies didn't do any sales training just product knowledge. They only hire reps who had some formal sales training in their previous position.

Good Selling!

Sell4alivn - by Sell4alivn
My previous two companies didn't do any sales training just product knowledge. They only hire reps who had some formal sales training in their previous position.
Do you think they just wanted to know you had some type of training or specific formal sales training like Sandler? - by Thomas
Those two companies primarily hired from copier and B2B sales and counted on the fact that their was some type of formal training like the Xerox program.

I have seen the Sandler franchise ads but have no idea what their program is like.

Good Selling!

Sell4alivn - by Sell4alivn
Those two companies primarily hired from copier and B2B sales and counted on the fact that their was some type of formal training like the Xerox program.

I have seen the Sandler franchise ads but have no idea what their program is like.
I don't know anything about Sandler but I know they are big. The same with Xerox. Do you think there is a list somewhere of all the big sales training programs? - by Thomas
I am a partner in a Sandler Franchise in S. Florida, so if you want to learn more about it, you can.

We offer a 'methodology' that includes everything from cold call prospects techniques/skills to closing.

In addition, since it is a systematic approach you can replicate it and monitor its success. Then it is easy to see the areas of weakness and work to continue to sharpen the skills you struggle with.

The key to Sandler is that you will not sound like other sales people who sell for your competition, and you will close more sales. It will help you differentiate yourself from the competition who is also 'trying to work' your prospect. It gives your prospect more confidence in YOUR ability to actually 'help him with the problem that he has, that your product or service can solve'.

I don't suppose, these things make sense to you and others. - by Paulette Halpern
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.