Home > Marketing > They say 4, but there really are 5 P's to marketing..

They say 4, but there really are 5 P's to marketing..

Time and time again I've heard from both individuals, in the classroom, and in textbooks alike that their are four P's to marketing.

1. Price
2. Promotion
3. Product
4. Place

But what about the driving force that will make all this happen??

5. People!

Without the people, then it is impossible to move anything through the pipeline.

What do you think? - by msanti85
My impression has always been that "people" were accounted for in "promotion". - by AZBroker
1. Price
2. Promotion
3. Product
4. Place

5. People!
Maybe there's six, Matt. How about pstrategy? - by Gary Boye
Time and time again I've heard from both individuals, in the classroom, and in textbooks alike that their are four P's to marketing.

1. Price
2. Promotion
3. Product
4. Place

5. People!

Without the people, then it is impossible to move anything through the pipeline.

What do you think?
In my view,I think it is suitable for the "5p",because the customer is the source of profits.we should focus on the customer than any time .
and do you agree with me ?welcome to communaction with me . - by allen
In my view,I think it is suitable for the "5p",because the customer is the source of profits.we should focus on the customer than any time .
and do you agree with me ?welcome to communaction with me .
A definition of "Marketing":
"The process of planning and executing the conception, pricing, promotion and distribution of ideas, goods and services to satisfy customers."
- by SalesGuy
A definition of "Marketing":
Gary - would you say something about pstrategy in relation to the other or any of the other p words ppplease? - by MitchM
Gary - would you say something about pstrategy in relation to the other or any of the other p words ppplease?
No. But I'll add another word that coincidentally begins with P and is used often in marketing discussions: Positioning

I forget who pointed it out--it might have been Roy Williams--that we really can't position a product in the market--only the market itself can do that for us. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I agree. I think if one really knows a market, such things could be somewhat predictable. Of couse, business history is filled with stories about companies that really did not know their market. Sony, with the Beta recorders, comes to mind as a famous example. - by Gary Boye
No. But I'll add another word that coincidentally begins with P and is used often in marketing discussions: Positioning

I forget who pointed it out--it might have been Roy Williams--that we really can't position a product in the market--only the market itself can do that for us. The more I think about it, I'm not sure I agree. I think if one really knows a market, such things could be somewhat predictable. Of couse, business history is filled with stories about companies that really did not know their market. Sony, with the Beta recorders, comes to mind as a famous example.
I should have known there was a phat chance of you doing something expository on pstrategy - that sounds more like a book.

Which came first - the position or the market? I think they both came second simultaniously. - by MitchM
Which came first - the position or the market? I think they both came second simultaniously.
I would have to say that the market came first. An unserved market perhaps, but a market nonetheless. ;) - by Houston
I would have to say that the market came first. An unserved market perhaps, but a market nonetheless. ;)
First comes the perception [or existing] of a market someone fills and he was right.

First comes something someone got lost in dreaming about and creating and then someone else said: the world needs to know about this.

Many years ago I saw a market for a vegetarian franchise but I didn't want to be the one to do it. Marketing people see markets all the time they just don't always get it right. - by MitchM
First comes the perception [or existing] of a market someone fills and he was right.

First comes something someone got lost in dreaming about and creating and then someone else said: the world needs to know about this.

Many years ago I saw a market for a vegetarian franchise but I didn't want to be the one to do it. Marketing people see markets all the time they just don't always get it right.
What do you mean they just dont always get it right? - by Sanddollar
What do you mean they just dont always get it right?
I was a little lug headed on that one - what did I mean? I think I meant to say that identifying a market isn't the same as putting something to fill it - marketing people can identify a market but not put the right stuff together to fill it.

I'll leave it at that - I'm not sure what I meant. - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.