Home > Technology > For better or worse? How has technology changed the way you communicate?

For better or worse? How has technology changed the way you communicate?

For better or worse? How has technology changed the way you communicate? - by Frankie
Well it's a lot easier to get in touch with somebody... it really hasn't changed me, for the worse at least... I know where and where not to use my (lol, lmfao, etc.) abbreviations, and "slang"... - by MissJackson
There are two main ways that technology has hurt sales;

(1) "What is your website?"

This can end up being a road block to a face-to-face meeting. And, after all, if a website could make a complex sale, then there would have been an end to our profession already. But the issue is - sales people think that asking for a site and then saying "I will look it over and call you back" or; "I will look it over and call me back" is the same thing as a hot prospect. In almost all cases it should be treated as an objection.

(2) Email

We spend far too much time during 9 - 5 sending email, answering email and generally playing computer jockey rather than selling. It is a distraction ...

Cheers! - by Gold Calling
The irony is that we are using a technological means of communication here as we speak. I am currently answering a question from Frankie and am reading and debating with the others around this forum post. The fact that I have never met you face to face seems to be neither here nor there, though maybe you wouldn't be able to judge the validity of what I write until you have based a clearer understanding of my character which you can't do as effectively as you would face to face or over the phone.

I have been able to communicate through internet based communication quite effectively because I understand the limits and drawbacks and don't substitute it for real communication. The positives are that I can communicate without geographic boundaries and access the wisdom and knowledge from an unlimited source. The drawbacks are as suggested by Gold Calling the distractive and loss of focus that using those technologies entails. - by nesh thompson
Technology has helped me communicate with friends, family, and potential clients better, but nothing can replace traditional face-to-face time. Non-verbal cues are REALLY important, so speaking with someone face-to-face definitely helps me feel someone out correctly instead of guessing over instant messages. - by ginac84
Here's one example: today I emailed the distributors in our network that tonight we (my wife and I) would be doing a conference call. We did this because we were on our monthly leadership conference call in the morning with one VP and the CEO of our company making some announcements before our international conference in August.

Then this evening we used a conference line to do the conference call with distributors from eight or ten states and Bermuda.
We've also used cams for video conferences - only a few - and we use power point programs for online training and presentations.

MitchM - by MitchM
There is a downside--many portions of that are mentioned above. On balance, though, it's been a huge positive.

Sure, it's required some learning and getting used to (managing email, etc.) in the beginning. But now, it's a primary method of communication with multimedia capability.

Obviously, it's my "thing". A big thumbs up here. - by fredgreen111
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.