Home > Social Influence > Does too many choices cause resistance?

Does too many choices cause resistance?

In my experience in the real estate industry I have found that too many choices can cause resistance.

For instance, the more homes an agent shows a buyer the higher the chances that the buyer will become overwhelmed and not make a decision.

The solution... freedom within limits. Or put another way, reduce the number of choices.

What do you think? - by AZBroker
In my experience in the real estate industry I have found that too many choices can cause resistance.

For instance, the more homes an agent shows a buyer the higher the chances that the buyer will become overwhelmed and not make a decision.

The solution... freedom within limits. Or put another way, reduce the number of choices.

What do you think?
Here is a quote from Kevin Hogan that you might agree with:
Cognitive dissonance is what happens when you hold two or more beliefs or ideas and don't know which to choose. It makes you feel overwhelmed. People like to have choices; it gives them freedom. But if you give people too many choices they will simply freeze and do nothing.
- by SalesGuy
Here is a quote from Kevin Hogan that you might agree with:
When you give one piece of information at a time in a dialogue rather than issue a blast of encyclopediac proportion, you help people make decisions. When you find out what someone is looking for and wants by definition choices are limited.

Often the bombarding of someone with information and choices is the result of not paying close attention to the person you're dealing with and/or not knowing your product line well enough to fit specific needs. - by MitchM
When you give one piece of information at a time in a dialogue rather than issue a blast of encyclopediac proportion, you help people make decisions. When you find out what someone is looking for and wants by definition choices are limited.

Often the bombarding of someone with information and choices is the result of not paying close attention to the person you're dealing with and/or not knowing your product line well enough to fit specific needs.
It is true that a salesperson can increase the possibility of resistance by presenting too many choices. - by SalesGuy
It is true that a salesperson can increase the possibility of resistance by presenting too many choices.
When I've been out to buy something the salesman offering me choices I don't want is always the result of two things - one is I don't really have a clear idea about what I want so I'm rather vague OR the salesman isn't asking me questions to eliminate nonoptions and come to the limited choices I want. - by MitchM
... I don't really have a clear idea about what I want so I'm rather vague...
I don't think you're alone in this regard. ;) - by SalesGuy
I don't think you're alone in this regard. ;)
Even when someone isn't sure the skilled salesman will ask questions to find out what the potential buyer wants and not try to get him into something he doesn't want - usually people have a clear enough idea to know what they don't want BUTare not aware of the options - that's where the salesman's asking questions and paying attention to answers comes in.

That's my experience. - by MitchM
Thanks everyone for the great input. :) - by AZBroker

What do you think?
;wlcm No question about it. When I worked in the TV department, that was the most frequent complaint I got. - by Wonderboy
Absolutely,
I think that the more your mouth is moving the possibility to loose your client becomes higher.

Like I said in one of my threads - You have two ears and one mouth - Use them like that. If the customer is fine knowing as little as they know - SHUT UP. - by Snowboy
Too many good choices makes it hard to choose. - by Marcus
Too many good choices makes it hard to choose.
I agree - K.I.S.S - Keep it Simple Stupid. - by Snowboy
Excellent, excellent observations, all of you...you guys are good! - by Dougd55
Sorry, I have been away for so long, started a business and been dedicating 500% in that direction.

Ok, I think it is true that a salesperson can give too many options.

But, here is the question: How many choices should be given?

I know a great deal of it depends on what kind of product or service is being presented, but let's look at the difference between them.

1. Two Choices - the easiest goto becaue it is black and white, red and green. But remember, there is gray between black and white and yellow between red and green. I think 2 choices is not the way.

2. Three choices - I think it is perfect. Why? Well, the name of this section is called persuasion - which can clearly be defined as control - the single most important tool in sales. Here is the question - do you really want to give a choice or do you want them to choose what you want? Adding the third choice strengthens the control by giving them an obvious wrong choice to make the choice you want to pick stand out better.

That's all I have to say about that... - by Ed Callais
Also, here are the choices

1. The one they do not want
2. The one you think is best
3. The one they wish they could pick - by Ed Callais
2. Three choices - I think it is perfect.
My gut feeling is that one or two choices feels limiting somehow and choosing from the top three choices feels right. - by Marcus
Many highly successful life insurance agents offer a range of choices. They show the projected results of a minimum premium (cost) insurance policy and a maximum premium policy.

The agent tells the prospect that the projected results will vary proportionally to the premium amounts. Then, they work together to decide how much premium the prospect wants to pay in order for him/her to get the results that amount of money will buy. - by JacquesWerth
The large amount of choices is great when you are considering insurance - a general low cost item. I think if you are dealing with higher end items, yes - you want choices - but the more choices you have, the easier it is to lose the customer. Time spent a customer, to me, should be focused on a limited amount of quality choices because I personally think if you have too many, then they start finding fault in little things. - by Ed Callais
The large amount of choices is great when you are considering insurance - a general low cost item. I think if you are dealing with higher end items, yes - you want choices - but the more choices you have, the easier it is to lose the customer. Time spent a customer, to me, should be focused on a limited amount of quality choices because I personally think if you have too many, then they start finding fault in little things.
In the example that you are referring to, I suggested a wide price range, and focusing on three choices within that range. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. Or, maybe it is clear and you disagree.

Many of the agents that we train are earning average commissions of $3,500 to $7,000 per sale, and they close 3 to 6 sales per month. Is that what you mean by "a low cost item?" - by JacquesWerth
Ah, you are doing corporate sales in insurance. That would apply with the choices for them. But on one sidenote - I think because of the results of a wrong choice in that field, more are better.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ed - by Ed Callais
Ah, you are doing corporate sales in insurance. That would apply with the choices for them. But on one sidenote - I think because of the results of a wrong choice in that field, more are better.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ed
The insurance agents I referred to are selling Life, Long Term Care, and Annuities to high net worth individuals. - by JacquesWerth
The problem I've seen with too many choices is that sometimes prospects want to pick and choose between proposals. The prospects wanted the 'one best thing' from all 7 proposals. Which couldn't be done. I saw another rep doing this and consistently losing business.

I always found 2-3 options worked best. This was selling to the super affluent (net worth over 20m).

Susan - by susana
The problem I've seen with too many choices is that sometimes prospects want to pick and choose between proposals. The prospects wanted the 'one best thing' from all 7 proposals. Which couldn't be done. I saw another rep doing this and consistently losing business.

I always found 2-3 options worked best. This was selling to the super affluent (net worth over 20m).

Susan
I can't agree with you morethmbp2; Prospects want to have the best of each pick and that can be real stress for a salesman. - by Kwame
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.