Home > Technology > What is the point of Twitter?

What is the point of Twitter?

I can't figure out what people see in Twitter. What value does Twitter hold for a salesperson? - by Frankie
I can't help with this. I've seen Twitter in the news but I don't know how it would apply to selling. - by realtor
I resisted using twitter for a long time, but as so much of my network kept talking about it, I guess my herd instinct took over.
I'm far from a Twitter expert.

But I've found it to be pretty useful to send folks to my various blogs, Squidoo pages, and to update many of the Social networking profiles I'm part of, via RSS.

As far as a sales tool goes, I've yet to find a ton of sales directly linked to twitter itself, but the fact that it puts eyeballs on my work (getting me comments on blog posts, getting Dugg on Digg, etc.) and links me closer to my network, and grants me easy exposure within my target market, it's worth the 30 minutes or so I spend on it weekly. - by Jesse B.
How does that work exactly Jesse? How do you use it to send people to your blogs? - by Houston
Good question. There's one big caveat though, I'm assuming that you have built a responsive network before you ever start trying to push people toward your blog.

Twitter is basically "microblogging," it's an element you use to supplement a larger blog(s), website, social network, a system you use to drive presold traffic deeper into your lead generation system.

I think that's the #1 question people have about social networking, social marketing, web 2.0, whatever you want to call it: "how do you get traffic, and make sales?" You build and nurture the network first, once you've established yourself as credible people want to interact with you. When you've built the network to a point where you're interacting with tons of people daily, something really cool happens, your content becomes viral, because your network has so much energy within it you start bring in people from the outside.

I wish there was an easier and faster way, but there isn't. The reason most people find it so difficult to build traffic via any social networking platform is they attempt to sell first forgetting that people don't like to be sold, but they like to buy (from people they know, like, and trust).

Try this: build a twitter profile, spend 10 minutes a day finding people who have "tweets" that interest you, go to their posts and comment, add them as a friend, and you'll find that many of them return the favor. Always treat socialnetworking as a discussion rather than a sales pitch and you'll be okay.

I hope this helps.

Jesse - by Jesse B.
WOW! Thanks for shining some light on the Twitter topic, Jesse! Real helpful advice. I'm definitely going to give Twitter a shot and see if it helps my marketing efforts.

Thanks again,
-Gina - by ginac84
Thanks Gina, I like using twitter now. It's simple, takes very little thought, but it's more personalized than just a regular RSS feed. ~jesse - by Jesse B.
You're saying the value of Twitter is keeping people in your network updated on what you're doing or what's new on your webpages? - by Frankie

If you want to boil it down to an absolutely base level, yes. . . but I don't.

The point of twittering (if there really is a "point") is so "like-minded" folks can share snippets, thoughts, web-pages, etc. with one another. It may or may not be your own stuff, it might be a friend's, it might be something silly, funny, enlightening. It's all dependent on what you find interesting, and "attracting" an audience that also finds the same stuff interesting.

It's a relationship building tool, that can be broadcast to many different places via RSS. For example, you can update your Facebook account status via Twitter, you can update your Twitter status via Squidoo, you can aggregate all of these RSS feeds on your Netvibes page.

Effective marketing on the internet comes when you've built a web of content that grows in strength when you publish anything. For example, when I post to my blog it also shows up in no less than 75 places on the Internet (via RSS). Twitter gives you one more arrow to put into your quiver to build a responsive network, drive traffic, and publish content effectively.

Hope that helps, Jesse - by Jesse B.
That does help. You're describing Leverage and I like leverage. If the people you're trying to connect with visit the website you're leveraging and they do find you when they're there then goal achieved. - by Frankie
thmbp2; Agreed, you are leveraging the power of your network. The real "leverage" part of Web 2.0 takes over when your network begins distributing your content, then their network does the same. . . and the traffic snowball takes over.

But this viral traffic effect never lasts.

True Internet marketing leverage comes when you've built enough consistant "targeted" traffic to your site via the search engines, and you have a clear V.P.P. (valuable preselling proposition), meaning the eyeballs that are looking at your website are, more than likely, eyeballs that have a need for exactly what you're offering. (I'm getting off topic so I'm going to stop.) ~Jesse - by Jesse B.
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.