Home > Cold Calling > Do you recommend cold calling to your clients?

Do you recommend cold calling to your clients?

In your professional sales training practice do you recommend cold calling to clients? - by Thomas
In your professional sales training practice do you recommend cold calling to clients?
For those who need to prospect, sometimes yes, but some of my clients do not typically prospect for business as part of their normal selling process (seller of backyard play systems, for instance) - they leave prospect generation to marketing/promotions to do that. It really depends upon the details of the product/service, and the way the company has chosen to do business.

In the type of market I serve, sometimes boosting efforts in referrals and repeat business, etc., is more beneficial than cold calling. Keep in mind that my clients are mostly B2C companies (I think you sell B2C, too, Thomas, right?). - by Skip Anderson
For those who need to prospect, sometimes yes, but some of my clients do not typically prospect for business as part of their normal selling process (seller of backyard play systems, for instance) - they leave prospect generation to marketing/promotions to do that. It really depends upon the details of the product/service, and the way the company has chosen to do business.

In the type of market I serve, sometimes boosting efforts in referrals and repeat business, etc., is more beneficial than cold calling. Keep in mind that my clients are mostly B2C companies (I think you sell B2C, too, Thomas, right?).
Backyard play systems - how do you sell those do you just advertise and hope that someone comes in and buys?

I forget ;pi that everything isn't sold the same way. In my own defense about forgetting I'm not the only one. Darn near every book I read on sales tells me to do this or that without ever knowing my industry. - by Thomas
how do you sell those do you just advertise and hope that someone comes in and buys?

I forget ;pi that everything isn't sold the same way. In my own defense about forgetting I'm not the only one. Darn near every book I read on sales tells me to do this or that without ever knowing my industry.
Most sales books are intended for B2B salespeople and are written by people with B2B selling experience; although there's a lot of valuable information in those books, often times a good deal of it doesn't apply to B2C salespeople, and there's information for B2C salespeople missing in many of those books.

Many products and services are sold out of showrooms and retail stores and in customers' homes, and leads are generated through advertising, promotions, home shows and other trade shows, and self-generation. - by Skip Anderson
For someone who is new to sales or someone who needs to generate new business, cold calling is direct, targeted and it works. Study after study, (The Direct Marketing Association, MarketingSherpa.com...) have shown that picking up the telephone and speaking with prospects is the best way to quickly develop new business.

The problem is that most sales representatives don't do it very well. To be successful, cold calling must be targeted (no opening the phone book and calling people at random), consistent (every day) focused (understand the goal of your call) and have a compelling offer. Bottom line, this is a communication skill and like any communication skill it can be learned and improved upon. - by Wendy Weiss
Backyard play systems - how do you sell those do you just advertise and hope that someone comes in and buys?

I forget ;pi that everything isn't sold the same way. In my own defense about forgetting I'm not the only one. Darn near every book I read on sales tells me to do this or that without ever knowing my industry.
The first thing you need to do is to identify your target market. Once you have a thumb nail sketch of your target market you will be better prepared to find them and to sell to them.

You can purchased targeted list make calls or send mailing pieces. A mailing should never be a brochure. It should be a sales letter targeted to their specific needs and the benefits of your product. - by Jim Klein
Thanks everyone. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to this question. :hu - by Thomas
Cold Calling can always be an viable option for Surveys, Prospecting, Appointment Setting and even Selling. However if it's BtoC and not BtoB be aware of your Do Not Call Lists and Laws.

Stan Billue, CSP - by Stan Billue
Cold Calling can always be an viable option for Surveys, Prospecting, Appointment Setting and even Selling. However if it's BtoC and not BtoB be aware of your Do Not Call Lists and Laws.

Stan Billue, CSP
That is a good point Stan. What I do is B2C. I haven't worried to much about the Do Not Call list but I probably should. - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.