Home > Prospecting > Sales scripts or wing it?

Sales scripts or wing it?

Hello.

Should a successful telesalesperson approaching prospects using prepared and well rehearsed scripts and objection handling or should every call with a prospect be unique? - by sales_ace
Your sales language should be well prepared. This doesn't mean the calls won't be unique but it does mean that you'll have the best questions and answers at your fingertips. - by Houston
Scripted until the salesperson can afford to be unique with each prospect. - by Skip Anderson
If you're getting the same objections over and over again you might as well come up with a really good answer to each instead of trying to shoot from the hip. Plus if you don't have to come up with a new response each time you're free to modify your standard response to the individual or the situation. - by Gilbert
I agree with Skip. - by Jim Klein
Your sales language should be well prepared. This doesn't mean the calls won't be unique but it does mean that you'll have the best questions and answers at your fingertips.
True and the fact is many salespeople use scripts every day and don't recognize it. For example they answer the phone the same way, they have favorite replies to frequently asked questions, they even ask the same or similar questions during sales calls. Predetermined questions, answers, talking-points, yeda-yeda... looks like scripts to me. ;co - by Frankie
I think having a general script is good to start the call off with and to reference back to, but it's always good to cater towards each person you call with a unique statement/conversation starter. You don't want to sound TOO robotic! - by ginac84
When I cold call I use the same scripts with everyone. Not always in the same order but word for word, except when I flub, with everyone. The scripts are from Jerry Bresser, they are like 30+ years old and work like magic. :yi thmbp2; - by Thomas
Your words can be well prepared (scripted) and still allow for a flexible dialogue. ;) - by AZBroker
I think the general opinion is to script. I would have to disagree. Always have a list of things you MUST say, points you have to get across about you product or service, questions you MUST ask (fact finding) the bits in between are all about rapport. You can't script that.... - by 6Consulting
All talking points should be scripted and learned to word perfect recall [aka; Unconscious Competence] to give your sales call dialogue maximum effectiveness and free your mind so you can focus on listening and responding appropriately to the customer. - by BossMan
All talking points should be scripted and learned to word perfect recall [aka; Unconscious Competence] to give your sales call dialogue maximum effectiveness and free your mind so you can focus on listening and responding appropriately to the customer.
I agree that selling is a process, follow steps one through ten etc. But you can not be robotic about it. There has to be the human element, rapport. Following an exact script every time is just wrong and leaves you no room to adapt or be flexible.

In every sales call ask questions (fact find), in every sales call explain your product. Understand these questions and your product, have multiple variations of them. Ask open questions, never give the prospect the chance to answer YES or NO unless it is in closing! Build rapport, find commonality, take notes. These are all basic elements of sales, but please don't sell like a robot, be yourself, adapt your pitch to you so that you can be natural with it.

When I receive sales calls (phone) and it sounds scripted I usually ask them to post me the script and if I am remotely interested I will call them! - by 6Consulting
Should a successful telesalesperson approaching prospects using prepared and well rehearsed scripts and objection handling or should every call with a prospect be unique?
When approaching prospects you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Do you really want to ad lib your opener or does it make more sense to use a well crafted, field tested opener that consistently achieves the results you desire? - by Jolly Roger
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.