Home > Personal Development > Vision - The first step on the road to success

Vision - The first step on the road to success

The first step on the road to success is without a doubt a crystal clear vision of what you want to happen. Most of us have heard this a hundred times but still haven't take that first step.

Have you taken the first step and written out specifically what it is you're wanting to achieve? What do you think stops most people from taking this all important first step? - by Gilbert
I completely agree. A great exercise that can help you with this is when you understand what you want (your goal). Write it down and think of and write down eight things that if you could do would help you accomplish your goal. Once you have done that, go back over the eight things you wrote and pick the one that if you did it would have the biggest immediate impact on achieving your goal - then do that immediately.

This works, try it! - by Joeylean
Great words of wisdom there!

I agree 100%. Figure out what the goal is, then write down all of the little tasks that need to be done in order to reach that goal. - by ginac84
What do you think stops most people from taking this all important first step?
My guess is that most people just don't want it, whatever it is for them, bad enough. That's not harsh, just reality. - by Frankie
The first step on the road to success is without a doubt a crystal clear vision of what you want to happen. Most of us have heard this a hundred times but still haven't take that first step.

Have you taken the first step and written out specifically what it is you're wanting to achieve? What do you think stops most people from taking this all important first step?
Nice thread

Do I have a crystal clear vision of where I want to be? Yes
Have I written it down? No

Everything in life is like a chess game, you need to take it one step at a time and if you go into it with a planned strategy, you'll get stumped when it doesn't go your way.

I know what I want, how to achieve it... but what's stopping us from getting to our desired state: my skills. To get where we need to be, we need to go back and refine our skills. - by MrCharisma
Ask yourself this, why do so many people have to hit rock bottom before they move up or how about what happened when those people hit rock bottom that assisted them in moving up? Hint: Clarity of Focus.

I support the idea that a crystal clear "WANT" is essential to manifesting outcomes. Goals come next, they are milestones to measure by.

'To know and not do is to not know' - those who do not have a clearly defined WANT, in my humble opinion, clearly do not 'know' how vital a role this plays in manifesting outcomes.

Have you taken the first step and written out specifically what it is you're wanting to achieve? What do you think stops most people from taking this all important first step?
- by SalesCoach
Great responses everyone. Anyone else want to share an opinion about this?

My guess is that most people just don't want it, whatever it is for them, bad enough. That's not harsh, just reality.
Does that refer to no vision or not writing it down? - by Gilbert
Wanting a goal is important and without a firm commitment (wanting it bad enough) it will not happen. Those who work the hardest also seem to have the most luck. However, I must also say that desire is only part of the equation, though a vital part. Knowing strategies for achieving goals is also very important. Someone who has both a burning desire and has done enough homework to know how to take appropriate action to make those dreams a reality is very likely to achieve his or her goals. I have known people who had a lot of desire yet without knowing how to use that desire as fuel to accomplish their goal setting strategy they have a lot of activity, but little results. - by Joeylean
Success comes to those who want something so bad that it drives them to take action until they get what it is they want. Success will come faster when you know which actions to take. - by Liberty
To be successful without setting goals is to wander near aimlessly through the fog. Do you want to summit this mountain or that one, or maybe that other one over there. It is important to not let your eagerness to stand at the top and admire the gaze distract you in the beginning. Otherwise you will waste precious time and energy headed up the first path that looks promising, yet leads to the wrong summit.

Imagination, dreams, vision. Imagination is the garden of creativity, where the sensible and absurd can mingle right through the walls of that box everyone is so excited to think outside of. Dreams are the dealership, which sells us on deciding to move forward or forget about specific ideas we've imagined. Take them for a test drive in your mind. See how they handle. But vision is taking the ideas you've imagined, which have stuck with you as being that which brings you the most joy, and clearly marking the path to exactly where you want to be.

"Vision" is like an IFR rating for life. When you can't see the finish line, you fly by your instruments. - by D.M055
I was watching an interview with Will Smith on TV last night in which a response to a question of "what motivated him to be so hard working", his answer was very simple. He responded that at the nadir of his life when he was dispossessed of all his belongings and house, he realised that this was a place that was unacceptable to be and vowed never to be in that position ever again.

In some success stories, goals and objectives have been set not only with the idea of where a person wants to be, but also where a person doesn't want to be. I don't know if any of you have seen the film "The Pursuit of Happiness" (I'm not Mr. Smith's publicist, honest), but that was a very powerful portrayal of a person whose goals and determination were magnified strongly by the terrible personal circumstances he was in and the motivation to live a better life.

My guess is that most people just don't want it, whatever it is for them, bad enough. That's not harsh, just reality.
My guess is that a lot of people have never been out of a certain 'comfort zone' in which to strive for better things. The reality is that complacency, even from a position of percieved safety, is the most dangerous place to be. - by nesh thompson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.