Home > Referrals > Deception: Fake Referrals

Deception: Fake Referrals

Twice now that I can remember someone called our department saying they were asked by a referral to call us. I took both of these calls and asked who was the referring source and both times the caller couldn't come up with a name.

Starting off a call with deception is not a good idea! thmbdn2; - by SpeedRacer
Twice now that I can remember someone called our department saying they were asked by a referral to call us. I took both of these calls and asked who was the referring source and both times the caller couldn't come up with a name.

Starting off a call with deception is not a good idea! thmbdn2;
Oh yeah, I've received those calls before. They're never good, always bad. ;thd - by Jolly Roger

Starting off a call with deception is not a good idea! thmbdn2;
I don't remember seeing anything like this take place but it doesn't surprise me. Desperate times father desperate measures. - by Liberty
Yes, as you point out, it's not a marketing ploy, but a deceptive trick. Good luck to them. - by MaxReferrals
I am reminded of the story of a new business owner asking a client for referrals. The client told him he would gte back to him. When he did he gave the sales person 10 referrals. The salesman closed 7 of them. The salesman came back and asked for more referrals. The businessman handed him the phone book and said pick them as that is what he did. There is a more detailed story to this but for shortness I am paraphrasing. - by rich34232
I am reminded of the story of a new business owner asking a client for referrals. The client told him he would get back to him. When he did he gave the sales person 10 referrals. The salesman closed 7 of them. The salesman came back and asked for more referrals. The businessman handed him the phone book and said pick them as that is what he did. There is a more detailed story to this but for shortness I am paraphrasing.
Even blind pigs find acorns once in a while. sn; - by Liberty
NEVER USE FAKE REFERRALS....EVER - by Sales Zombie
Have any of you ever heard of 3rd or 4th level or tier referrals? This past year I have been networking through several different mediums. Some of the groups are; the Chamber , BNI and other individual networking groups plus on line. This does not include my customers who refer me to their friends and to their friends.

I am wondering why sales people are so quick to suggest the customer is lying or trying to deceive the sales person. I have many customers call and ask for me and when they are asked who referred them they do say they cannot remember. I can understand a 4th level or tier person not remembering who referred me or gave them my business card. When you really want to probe more to discover who the referring party is ask questions that may jog the clients mind. After all isnít the main point that the person call you?
- by rich34232

I am wondering why sales people are so quick to suggest the customer is lying or trying to deceive the sales person. I have many customers call and ask for me and when they are asked who referred them they do say they cannot remember. I can understand a 4th level or tier person not remembering who referred me or gave them my business card. When you really want to probe more to discover who the referring party is ask questions that may jog the clients mind. After all isn’t the main point that the person call you?
Rich, I believe the topic here regarding fake referrals is about a deceptive practice among some salespeople, NOT about customers.

It references salespeople who call someone to introduce their product or services and say falsely that they were referred by a mutually known third party. - by Gary A Boye
That makes more sense .Thanks Gary - by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.