Home > Cold Calling > Cold calling mistakes

Cold calling mistakes

What are some of the more common cold calling mistakes you know of? - by Thomas
Not having a customer focused benefit in you initial approach.

If you make your approach statement and the customer is still wondering why they might want to speak with you then your success rate really drops off.

An example for me is.....

My name is Sell4alivn with XYZ and I help anesthesia providers manage difficult airways. How do you currently manage your difficult airways?

I know that one of the key concerns for customers is managing difficult airways and that because it can be a life or death situation then they will want to know what I have.

Okay...maybe not everybody has a product that can save a life and prevent a multimillion dollar lawsuit but I think you get the general idea.

Good Selling!!! - by Sell4alivn
What are some of the more common cold calling mistakes you know of?
Not being prepared, not knowing what you want to happen and not knowing what you want to say. - by Seth
Thanks Sell4alivn and Seth.

I'm still looking for cold calling mistakes if anyone knows of any. ;bl - by Thomas
Most people who cold call, don't know how to effectively get to the 'real decision maker' they need. Then, IF they get to them, don't know how to effectively 'minimize the pressure of the first 5 seconds' to GET to deliver their value statement.

If they get this far, the salesperson, doesn't create a REAL good reason for the prospect to WANT to have a conversation with them, because they sound 'just like all the other bad sales people who cold call them from their industry'.

You can't blame the prospect, when the salesperson did not give them an important reason to WANT to talk to them, in the first 30 seconds.

Most people who will read this probably don't agree with me. - by Paulette Halpern
You can't blame the prospect, when the salesperson did not give them an important reason to WANT to talk to them, in the first 30 seconds.
This is an excellent point! It isn't that cold calling doesn't work it's that so many salespeople aren't doing it very well. - by Houston
As a sales trainer in S. Florida, I do 'No Pressure Prospecting Workshops' quite often; lots of the skills we cover, can be converted into easy use for networking settings.

The term 'cold calling' is more offensive to people than anything else and its 'negative' connection to 'boiler room telemarketing' is no help. However, if you have a professional business like way to get past the 'gatekeeper' and to the 'top officer' in the company you need, you are 50% there.

The next 50% hinges on what you say next to convey an 'important reason' for them to want to talk with you. - by Paulette Halpern
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.