Home > Advertising > Subliminal advertising effectiveness

Subliminal advertising effectiveness

Do you believe that subliminal advertising is effective? - by Thomas
I think they work. Product placement has become HUGE in the past few years because it's effective.

Remember Reece's Pieces in ET? That made sales of the candy SKYROCKET! ET didn't tell anyone to buy the candies, but just about everyone did because they were in that amusing scene.

Anyone else remember other products successfully placed in movies that caused a frenzy? - by ginac84
I think they work. Product placement has become HUGE in the past few years because it's effective.

Remember Reece's Pieces in ET? That made sales of the candy SKYROCKET! ET didn't tell anyone to buy the candies, but just about everyone did because they were in that amusing scene.

Anyone else remember other products successfully placed in movies that caused a frenzy?
I forgot about that. Do you know of any other subliminal advertising techniques that people can use today? - by Thomas
I don't remember (Send money to Sell4alivn) any other ads that worked.

I am sure that (Send money to Sell4alivn) some subtle insertions in normal messages may work.

shds; (Send money to Sell4alivn)shds;

Good Selling!!!

Sell4alivn;bg - by Sell4alivn
How do we know if it is subliminal? - by MPrince
How do we know if it is subliminal?
We know it's subliminal only if we find ourselves telling someone about our purchase and referring to a specific ad. in which we saw it. The other 90% of the time we simply justify our purchase based on either emotion or extensive research (or both). In which case we may deny sublminal hypnosis (for lack of better words), and simply justify our purchase in two ways: 1) do we feel guilty? If so then buyers remorse is evident which is a by-product of subliminal influence or 2) we smile and go on with our lives which include the new product. - by TSizzle
Do you believe that subliminal advertising is effective?
Subliminal by definition consists of messages delivered below the threshold of conscious sensation.

Most advertising consists of less obvious covert and recognizable overt symbolism. If you are consciously aware of the symbolic message, it is not subliminal.

Years ago, theaters would have the word "hungry" flash on the screen so fast your eye could not see it. Theoretically, your unconscious mind absorbed the meaning.

Another way to use subliminal messaging, was to display several layers of symbolic meaning from the obvious to messages so abstract they were beyond conscious awareness.

True subliminal advertising however, has been outlawed in many jurisdictions and corporations found the influence too vague to measure and generally abandoned the technique. - by John Voris
How do we know if it is subliminal?
Excellent question!

If it is subliminal it has escaped conscious awareness so how could you know? - by John Voris
Excellent question!

If it is subliminal it has escaped conscious awareness so how could you know?
The only way to really know if it's subliminal advertising is if you ask the person creating the ad. What was their intention? What was their technique to influencing people? Sometimes subliminal advertising could be classified as blatantly obvious solutions given, and people don't rationalize them until it's time to purchase. Example: Burger King showing their new product of a jalapeno and cheese burger. It's not subliminal in any way, BUT it sits in the sub conscious waiting to be recalled when they place their order. - by TSizzle
The only way to really know if it's subliminal advertising is if you ask the person creating the ad. What was their intention? What was their technique to influencing people? Sometimes subliminal advertising could be classified as blatantly obvious solutions given, and people don't rationalize them until it's time to purchase. Example: Burger King showing their new product of a jalapeno and cheese burger. It's not subliminal in any way, BUT it sits in the sub conscious waiting to be recalled when they place their order.
I appreciate your observation but the question remains; how do you know if you bought because of the subliminal ad?

Even if the advertiser told you that subliminal techniques were used, there is no way to ascertain if you in fact bought it for that reason. There are just too many unknown and unknowable variables to account for, to stage a legitimate double-blind test environment. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.