Home > Resistance > What would you do in this scenario?

What would you do in this scenario?

A new agent talked with me today about a scenario he is running into when calling homeowners who are selling without the aid of a real estate agent.

The scenario is quite common and goes something like this... the agent calls the homeowner and as soon as he identifies himself as a real estate agent the seller's attitude turns hostile (resistance) and let's the agent know in no uncertain terms what he/she thinks about real estate agents. Either that or the homeowner hangs up without another word.

I recommended that the agent simply move on to the next call. What would you do in this scenario? - by AZBroker
A new agent talked with me today about a scenario he is running into when calling homeowners who are selling without the aid of a real estate agent.

The scenario is quite common and goes something like this... the agent calls the homeowner and as soon as he identifies himself as a real estate agent the seller's attitude turns hostile (resistance) and let's the agent know in no uncertain terms what he/she thinks about real estate agents. Either that or the homeowner hangs up without another word.

I recommended that the agent simply move on to the next call. What would you do in this scenario?
Hmmm... I guess it would depend. If I was "very" interested in the property and/or the seller I would back off and try a different approach at a later date.

If I wasn't that concerned I might push my luck right then and there. ;) - by Jolly Roger
The Telemarketer Bash! (No, it's not an uproarious party :D )

I don't think it would be too far from the truth to say telemarketers across the board experience this type of behavior from call recipients. It comes with the phone. ;)

What a coincidence; I just now received a telemarketing call and as soon as she told me she was with a HVAC company (sales call) I told her I didn't take telemarketing calls, good bye and hung up the phone. (And I'm in a good mood. :) )

How would I respond to this type of behavior? First, I'd realize that people have common knee-jerk reactions, like mine above, to telemarketers. I'd also keep in mind that sometimes people's behavior just stinks. They may have their reasons but their behavior still stinks. Either way I would remember this and not let it get to me. (see... thick skin)

Second, I'd move on to the next call as fresh and sparkly as I was when I made the previous call and the call before that, and so on. - by SalesGuy
It looks like we are on the same page. Thanks guys for the great input. :) - by AZBroker

I recommended that the agent simply move on to the next call. What would you do in this scenario?
What is his purpose in making the call? If he's trying to "get the listing", then I'd say yes, move on, there's nothing to be gained because this prospect has already decided they are NOT interested in using an agent.

On the other hand, if he's calling because he has a possible buyer--he might want to say that FIRST and identify himself as a real estate agent SECOND. Of course if the seller doesn't even want to sell to someone represented by an agent, then it won't matter :( . In that case, though, trying back in 2-3 months might be more successful.:)

[not an expert in real estate--just thinking about this from the FYBO's mindset] - by Terri Zwierzynski
The Telemarketer Bash! (No, it's not an uproarious party :D )

What a coincidence; I just now received a telemarketing call and as soon as she told me she was with a HVAC company (sales call) I told her I didn't take telemarketing calls, good bye and hung up the phone. (And I'm in a good mood. :) )
This comment just triggered a memory for me.

I tried for a brief time selling my product completely over the telephone. I quickly learned that the only way to make progress was in "baby steps." Never ask for too much at any one time. On my first call I would only give them a 30 second teaser and ask if I could send them my brochure. Because saying yes is not any harder than saying no, many would say yes. On my next call, I would follow up on the brochure. Often this took several calls because the they had not looked at it, yet...etc. I would only ask for permission to call again. By the end of this process, they had spoken to me several times on the phone and began to feel like they knew me.

I don't really know if this has much bearing on the original question, but the reason I am reminded of this experience is by your reaction to this interrupting telemarketing call. One time, I was on the phone with a client (who had been recruited through this cold calling technique) and he put me on hold for a minute. When he came back, he was grumbling about those darn no-good telemarketers...

Apparently I did it so gradually (moving slowly