Home > Personal Development > How much of sales success is mental and how much is technique?

How much of sales success is mental and how much is technique?

Would you say sales success is more mental or more technique? - by realtor
Would you say sales success is more mental or more technique?
Everything you're going to do starts in your own mind first. Your actions are an extension of your thoughts. thmbp2; - by Marcus
Mental thoughts only have an impact if they change sales behaviors. If sales behaviors don't improve, sales won't improve. Selling is a skill. If skills are top-notch, performance will be top-notch. You can have the best mental game in the business, but if that mental game doesn't impact your sales behaviors, you're toast. - by Skip Anderson
Action/behavior is preceded by a long line of influences (beliefs, habits, values, etc.) that are often lumped together as "mental". If you get the mental part wrong don't count on technique coming to your rescue. - by AZBroker
Action/behavior is preceded by a long line of influences (beliefs, habits, values, etc.) that are often lumped together as "mental". If you get the mental part wrong don't count on technique coming to your rescue.
AZ, how do you feel about this statement: "If you get the technique part wrong don't count on the mental part coming to your rescue?" - by Skip Anderson
AZ, how do you feel about this statement: "If you get the technique part wrong don't count on the mental part coming to your rescue?"
I don't agree with that statement. I've seen too many new agents step all over themselves - poor technique - and still get a sale. - by AZBroker
Personal management is the foundation upon which all other sales abilities depend on, and are considered the most important areas needed for success.

Personal management abilities are; Self Mastery, Self Talk, Personal Planning, and Personal Health.

So much of what is needed for sales success is "mental".

Your thought processes drive your current feelings, emotions, actions, behaviors and ultimately the results you are creating in your life.

Those who take full responsibility for their thoughts and actions discover one of the greatest secrets of success, "the only thing we can control in this life is our thoughts".

Choosing to be in control of your thoughts versus letting your thoughts control your life is empowering.

You'll never close the deal (technique) if your thought processes think you can't (mental)! - by GlennB
Attitude effects your potential to succeed... there are a lot of great sales people out there with a poor attitude as Skip pointed out, but will they last long? Are these people with a poor attitude the people you want to rely on as a manager or business owner?

I'll go completely against Skip (for the first time ever) to say attitude is more important then behaviour. - by MrCharisma
Some interesting thoughts and comments. As always I guess the answer is it depends.

If you have both that is great. A great mindset is actually a behaviour as well. Being up beat and postive is one thing.

Having the beliefs is another ( this is what actually holds back most people and none more so than sales men and women)

If you look at the posts then some people have one belief...so therefore it is true for them and others have different beliefs so therefore their beliefs work for them! We experience what we see and expect.

As a sales coach I have to be honest and say that I have more success when I work with peoples beliefs and then work on their skills afterwards.

The classic 90% mindset and 10% skill set has been proven many times.

Nice to read something stimulating on my first day here.

Best Wishes

Denise;sm - by SalesManagersCoach
It is clear that both one's mindset and technique play a role in success. Both must be in developed as if you have a great mindset, but don't have good techniques or strategies then you will not be successful. However the opposite is true as well in that if you don't have a good mental framework that dictates your sales philosophy then you will not be able to utilize the techniques and strategies effectively as you will not understand how to adapt them to achieve the sale.

I believe the ultimate success comes about through mastering the below stated areas of ones life. First, there is the mindset (beliefs, values, purpose). Second, goals as they come out of one's mindset. Third, skills and this is where sales techniques and strategies would fall as would anything that aids one in their career. Finally, I teach that legacy must be viewed as well. As Stephen Covey said, "begin with the end in mind." What will really matter at the end of my life and what are the things I can do about that today. In my research this is seen in three distinct areas: Contributions, Relationships and Faith. At the end of most people's lives one or all of these things is what they think about. So therefore I teach that we live out our legacy now. There is much more to say on this, but again that is another post... - by Joeylean
It is the classic that thoughts are causes and causes result in effects.

The belief you have will propel you into action and repel negative thoughts which get in the way. The truth is having a positive thought about what is possible will lead to potentially a realisation that to get great at something I might need to improve my skills....etc....etc

The thought comes first followed by a feeling that leads to an action and leads to a result.

Best Wishes

Denise - by SalesManagersCoach
I am in agreement with Shad Helmstetter on this subject. He states in essense that our programming shapes our beliefs which shape our attitude which shapes our feelings which affects what we do and how well we do it (behavour). He claims it is our behavour (actions) which most directly affects our success or failure. Although I am not a fan of pop psychology, that progression makes sense to me.

That said, I believe that the mind is infinitely more complex than that. - by Ace Coldiron
I have worked with some truly great salespeople.

The truly great ones were quite similar.

They all had a good mental approach AND good technique as many salepeople do but........combine those two elements with good old fashioned stick-at-it-ability and you generally have a great sales person.

In summary

1. Good techique + poor mental approach + lazy = yuk

2. Good technique + good mental approach + lazy = so so

3. Poor technique + good mental approach + hard work = Excellent

4. Good technique + good mental approach + hard work = The Greats

Notice how even a poor technique can beat good technique if you work hard. - by helisell
The highest levels of achievement are difficult to reach without a practical method (technique) yet even the most skilled will fail miserably without control of their thoughts and actions (mental). Have you ever seen a newbie sales rep sell like a madman with nothing but belief and enthusiasm? - by Seth
attitude/aptitude??? interesting.....

I know a top performer with a terrible attitude, brings the rest of the force down with her. MOST top performers I have worked with have great mental attitudes which means they want to be the best at what they do, which means they are open to training and new ideas, which means they have great techniques.

And if you value the idea of relationship selling.... - by tmiller
A salesperson with a terrible attitude and great sales technique will drive away potential customers. People don't like to buy from people they dislike.

A salesperson with a great attitude and terrible sales technique, as long as that sales technique doesn't drive away potential buyers, will makes sales just not at the level that could be made with both a great attitude and great sales technique.

The question didn't ask about "action" or sales "behaviors" so I'll leave those out and say that within the framework of the question, I would estimate sales success to be 84% mental and 16% technique. - by Vito
Mental, which encompasses learning, awareness, knowledge, aptitude, and operacy, among other things. "Techniques" can follow, and produce better results if they are in line with a well thought out strategy--but again, strategy is in the mental capabilities realm. - by Ace Coldiron
I think this issue breaks down to a matter of perspective because the word "mental" is too vague and broad in application and many interpretations are possible.

However for us, our behavior is the manifestation of our mental states whereas, mental states can be manifested by our behavior from the perspective of the observing prospect.

In sales, behavior is what the prospect experiences and responds to with having direct knowledge of our actions as observables but who cannot observe our inner mind. The prospect therefore buys the technique.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Only for the really curious :)

There is a deeper correlation.

The way we think reveals our reasoning and our reasoning gives structure to our techniques which can translate into behavior.

Positive attitude is not having a thought just as enthusiasm is not a thought rather they are both feelings. You cannot use a state of "feeling" to counter a state of reasoning in a discussion.

Two sales people can have great attitude with one selling and the other not. Two sales people can have poor attitudes with one selling and the other not.

The difference is the one doing the selling is engage in effective reasoning while the other has yet to learn how to apply his or her thinking capacity to generate similar reasoning results.

It would be a poor idea to have an engineer write a love poem to your significant other for you, just as it would be a poor idea to have a poet design your house.

The point is, reasoning techniques ultimately dictate behavioral techniques which is why sales is based on mental criteria first followed by technique which the prospect buys.

After all, the sales training industry does nothing other than teach sales techniques but history proves (high failure rate) that using proven techniques alone does not guarantee a sale.

Rather, techniques assists the fertile mind. - by John Voris
You cannot use a state of "feeling" to counter a state of reasoning in a discussion.
My own experiences are that you CAN if you express or demonstrate the feeling.

I'll add that we should never completely put our skeptic state away when listening to anyone in a "state of reasoning." That includes our own "reasoning." That doesn't mean we should doubt. We should be prepared to doubt - by Gary A Boye
My own experiences are that you CAN if you express or demonstrate the feeling.

I'll add that we should never completely put our skeptic state away when listening to anyone in a "state of reasoning." That includes our own "reasoning." That doesn't mean we should doubt. We should be prepared to doubt
Nice to hear from you.

The question asked if sales is more mental or a matter of technique.

I was analyzing each as a closed system 1) of mental cognitive capacities being separate from 2) technical processes.

Both by definition, excludes attitude as an emotion failing to belong to either faculty.

As to your observation I agree. Reasoning and Feelings are often used as counterpoints.

Also, I approach my skepticism as being "Cautiously Optimistic." - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.