Home > Cold Calling > How to turn cold calls into hot leads

How to turn cold calls into hot leads

Do you know how to turn a cold call into a hot lead? What tips can you share on how to turn a cold call either in person or on the phone into a hot sales opportunity? - by Calvin
Read Sales on the Line by Sharon Drew Morgen. She will teach you how to call using a "call partner" approach that will blow away anything you use now. - by jdedwa11
Read Sales on the Line by Sharon Drew Morgen. She will teach you how to call using a "call partner" approach that will blow away anything you use now.
How would you sum up using a "call partner"? That's a term I haven't read before. - by SpeedRacer
Do you know how to turn a cold call into a hot lead? What tips can you share on how to turn a cold call either in person or on the phone into a hot sales opportunity?

The way I do It is ,(and I sell final expense life insurance by the way) between appointments. I knock on the door and when they answer it ,I say hello, my name is_____, I've got several appointments with people in your neighborhood this week concerning the supplement to their social security benefit of $255 and I wanted to see if I could set up a time to visit with you about it tomorrow,(now I open my appointment book and before they can say anything, I say) I've got a 10:30 in the morning and a 4:00 in the afternoon available, which would be more convenient for you? I am looking at my appointment book with my pen on the 10:30 time and waiting to write the one that they pick.

I find this to be very effective and set a ton of appointments this way. And I do only work by appoinment. I even go so far as to refuse to go into their home if they say "well I've got time right now, come on in." I say, i'm sorry, but I've got an appointment with Mr. and Mrs.______ in 15 minutes, but I can pencil you in for 10:30 or 4:00 tomorrow, which would you prefer?

I think this makes you look more professional and alot less desperate. It also makes them realize that you value their time (and yours)and your not just peddleing something door to door.

You've got more than a hot lead now, You've got an appointment.
thmbp2;

"sometimes we are limited more by attitude than by opportunities" - by rlggray
Do you know how to turn a cold call into a hot lead? What tips can you share on how to turn a cold call either in person or on the phone into a hot sales opportunity?
The keyword here is Positioning.

Cold calling tends to make you look more "Seeking" in nature. The key point here is to turn youself into a "To Be Seek" sales pro.

So the general concept that you carry in your cold calls should not be "I am here to seek the appointments or sales."

The concept should be "Appointments and sales are linning up, but I do have one more slot for you"

You have to come up with a high positioning set of actions and script according to your industry.

A gentle shift of actions, words and phrases can make a world of a difference. - by Max_Gwee
That is the 'Alternative Event' close....and you are probably never 'porched' when you show up for that appointment?

But then again, being 'porched' in your industry generally happens quite a bit....or you're the exception if it never happens to you?

You don't have a 'hot lead' really....and you may have an appointment (if they don't porch you), with a 'not qualified' person.

If your strategy works for you, that's fine. - by Paulette Halpern
That is the 'Alternative Event' close....and you are probably never 'porched' when you show up for that appointment?

But then again, being 'porched' in your industry generally happens quite a bit....or you're the exception if it never happens to you?

You don't have a 'hot lead' really....and you may have an appointment (if they don't porch you), with a 'not qualified' person.

If your strategy works for you, that's fine.

Your right Paulette, I do get 'porched' from time to time. But not as often as you may think. On average, about 2 out of 10 times. And as far as not having a 'qualified person' , that is not true. Remember, I sell final expense insurance, Everyone is qualified because everyone is going to die, would'nt you agree ? And most people have family or loved ones that they do not want to burden with their final expenses. And if they already have life insurance, thats great, I suggest they use that for what they intended to when they bought it, usually to leave for family mambers. This way they are not taking $10,000 away from them. This is for their final expenses. (funeral home, cemetary, medical bills, emergency, ambulance, medicare deductables, doctor fees, taxes, attorneys, creditors, probate or whatever) And if they have health problems that may have prevented them from getting life insurance, thats okay to because I have a guaranted issue policy in my bag. So as you can see everyone is a qualified 'hot lead' for what I sell.;sm - by rlggray
Here is a little bit of the philosophy I train.....a qualified opportunity is one that has a 'problem' that they believe they need to resolve, a willingness to fix it and are the person who can make the decision to act and say "yes" not at best, "I have to think it over or ask someone else".

And yes, everyone is going to die, but NOT everyone believes they need your service, nor wants it.

I have worked with insurance agents over the last 20 years, who have cut their 'porched' situations down to less than 10%, which leaves them more time to sit down with better qualified opportunities with have a need and willingness to have their service. - by Paulette Halpern
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.