Home > Cold Calling > Is there such a thing as a warm call?

Is there such a thing as a warm call?

Calling on someone who doesn't know you and isn't expecting your call qualifies as a Cold Call. What qualifies as a Warm Call? - by Calvin
Doesn't know you, isn't expecting call - COLD
Doesn't know you, is expecting your call - LUKEWARM
Does know you, doesn't like you, isn't expecting your call - LUKEWARM
Does know you, likes you, isn't expecting your call - WARM
Does know you, likes you, is expecting your call, and really wants to talk to you - HOT - by jdedwa11
Nice examples jdedwa11. :)

Does anyone take the point of view there's no such thing as a warm call? - by Calvin
For general cold calling only the first contact is cold and subsequent calls are warm. - by Houston
To me a warm call is when the prospect has shown some type of hand raising activity, like read your email and went your website, or filled out a form on your website, or joined your newsletter, or gave you their business card at a tradeshow, etc,,,,,,, - by b2brep
What is the purpose of categorizing the calls? - by Ace Coldiron
I am not sure that I understand your question.

Are you asking why a warm call is better than a cold call? - by b2brep
I am not sure that I understand your question.

Are you asking why a warm call is better than a cold call?
No, I am clearly asking what is the purpose of categorizing the calls? I thought someone could provide an answer. - by Ace Coldiron
Calling on someone who doesn't know you and isn't expecting your call qualifies as a Cold Call. What qualifies as a Warm Call?
Calvin, in selling Cold and Warm are not "qualifiers". Ready, Willling, and Able are.

Cold calls can produce hot prospects. Likewise, whatever anybody wants to describe as a warm call can produce icy reception. Selling is a people game and the more people we tell our story to, the better chances we have for making sales. Chaos Theory plays a bigger part in the important events of our lives and careers than does Game Theory. It is often those things that we venture into, in which we don't know the probabilities, that can produce the best rewards.

In my view, spending a lot of time presuming hot, cold, warm, cool, cherry lead, etc, is the mental equivilant of paper shuffling. - by Ace Coldiron
Cold calls can produce hot prospects. Likewise, whatever anybody wants to describe as a warm call can produce icy reception. Selling is a people game and the more people we tell our story to, the better chances we have for making sales.

In my view, spending a lot of time presuming hot, cold, warm, cool, cherry lead, etc, is the mental equivalent of paper shuffling.

We can make a call warm by calling a sister company to one we sold, or; by knowing a person the buyer knows, or; by researching more about the company and being better able to talk knowledgeably. These things help.

Paper shuffling ... and time wasting, rather than staying focused and busy, these things are the enemy of productivity. And our mindset/attitude can help or hurt.

Great advice and an excellent post Ace. - by Gold Calling
Great advice and an excellent post Ace.
Thank you, Steven. - by Ace Coldiron
"Ace" the purpose of catergorizing calls is that I want to focus on calling warm prospects before I cold call. It makes sense to me to call the company that I have a higher probability of closing first.

Additionally, if I am flooded with warm calls all day, I will not have to cold call at all.

DG - by b2brep
For general cold calling only the first contact is cold and subsequent calls are warm.
I think that is an excellent comment Houston and a great way to offset the fear that generally comes with cold calling and the success factors around it. My company would hit the roof is they knew that I treated the initial call as finding who the Decison Maker is which sets me on my way and helps me gain an appointment perhaps not immediately but 3 months time is better than nothing. 1st contact should be to sell at that opportunity and that opportunity only. Pfffffft.

I shown this post to a team member who was really struggling with the fear around failing to sell on one visit only. Her mindset changed and now she's enjoying the role which in turn, i believe, will turn into success

Good selling - by krashslaughta
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.