Home > Personal Development > The importance of goals

The importance of goals

For all who want to play along, how important are goals to you? Do you set daily, monthly or yearly goals? - by BossMan
I have quarterly and yearly targets for my various businesses. I am a firm believer in writing down goals, and that by the very fact of writing them down, you are more apt to achieve them.

Terri Z - by Terri Zwierzynski
I have quarterly and yearly targets for my various businesses. I am a firm believer in writing down goals, and that by the very fact of writing them down, you are more apt to achieve them.

Terri Z
I call them goals or tasks [the tasks I take on are goals to get me to other goals] - sometimes outcomes or the results of my actions of intent and purpose, we've all used many words to describe what it is we want to achieve today and tomorrow.

Without them I flounder all the time and have no direction. With them I flounder only some of the time. So to keep from being in a constant state of floundering, I need them badly.

Also, my goals are connected to things and concepts, to people and reasons I value highly and am either passionate about or strongly convicted in so they aren't artificial thus they aren't difficult to step into and move toward.

The topic of goals is fascinating because it can mean so many things from concrete to abstract - from the larger-than-life to the steps required to achieve them.

What interests me the most isn't the necessity of goals but what people mean by them and how they go after them.

That's the kind of discussion I'd like to see, people not afraid to open up themselves to what goals mean to them, their importance. - by MitchM
For all who want to play along, how important are goals to you?
Goals are crucial. Without goals, a person wanders aimlessly through life. - by SalesGuy
Do you tend use goals outside of work too? - by BossMan
Do you tend use goals outside of work too?
I didn't in the past, but I'm starting to now. I realize that the same principles apply in life as in work...if you really want to get to some place in your life, you need to write it down! - by Terri Zwierzynski
I didn't in the past, but I'm starting to now. I realize that the same principles apply in life as in work...if you really want to get to some place in your life, you need to write it down!
How important are goals was the question - everyone naturally has daily goals in life: to arise, to shower, to eat, to do something between meals, to read a book, to watch the news. So we're never without goals and they are simply the things we intend to do or toaccomplish each day - all of them fit into a vision of ourselves in our own lives. We have goals and vision.

Most of the time these goals grow on us and we never fully look at them objectively to see if they are productive or nonproductive, benificial toward what we want to accomplish or not.

So how important goals are also has to do with the attention we give them with the intention of answering: what are these goals and why do I have them? what purpose do they serve in my life? and are my dailyactions in step with my goals and the outcomes I want?

Daily goals, whether we see them or not, direct what we do every day - that's their importance. Aware of them or not, we wake up with them and go to sleep with them and what happens in between is the result of our goals - the tasks, goals, and vision as a composit - that we accomplish or do not. - by MitchM
For all who want to play along, how important are goals to you? Do you set daily, monthly or yearly goals?
"Goals"... such a broad stroke. :)

I like to think in terms of a "Desired Outcome" (with "Milestones").

How important is establishing a "Desired Outcome"? A day without a "desired outcome" is a day without "direction". - by Milton
How important is establishing a "Desired Outcome"? A day without a "desired outcome" is a day without "direction".
Or maybe a day without a desired outcome is a day of vacation :D .

For some of us workaholics, it is probably good to take a break from having a plan once in a while -- just to see what happens. - by Terri Zwierzynski
I read Brian Tracy's book on goals this past summer. It was inspiring. I have always had goals in my head, but they can quickly find themselves in the back recesses of my mind if I don't keep focused on them. I have never been one to consistantly write down my goals, but after reading that book, it bought a journal and started writing them down. Sometimes keeping your goals clear is the most difficult step.

Kathy - by TheWildBonBon
I think financial (at least) goal setting is essential for sales people.

How many times do you go into a supermarket to buy a few items you need and come out with three sacks of shopping but forgetting to buy half of the actual items you went in to buy? I believe that in sales you often get distracted in life in this same way.

If you had gone into the store with a written shopping list you would not have forgotten anything.

It is the same in our sales lives, you start the beginning of the month with good intentions but in no time lifeís distractions take over and you are just living day to day and you loose focus.

So goal setting becomes a shopping list for your life. Your written wish list for life.

For me effect motivating goals are not the how much you want to earn this month but what you will actually use the money for, what it means to you and your family.

Then make the benefits of this real and exciting and believable many times a day.

(As has been said before, many people complain that the motivation achieved from goal setting does not last; neither does the affect of bathing thatís why you should do it daily)

Tell your peers/family/ Manager what your goals are and stand up and be measured against them.

Reward your success when you achieve it. - by louie66
Yeah, what Louie66 said. ;sm - by WobblyBox
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.