Home > Social Influence > Social proof in marketing - Everybody's doing it!

Social proof in marketing - Everybody's doing it!

Social proof what a great idea to incorporate into your marketing. Monkey see monkey do. Have you ever used social proof in your marketing materials? - by Marcus
I don't, Marcus. I tell people what I got and ask them if it's something they want. Or I find out what they want and if it sounds like what I got offer it to them.

If after that they way they want it or there's a strong inclination they want it I give them real life person-to-person proof. I've built a business internationally doing that.

The best of success to you Marcus.

MitchM - by MitchM
MITCH; Try finding out what they need and then showing them that what you have answers such need(s).

This is what professional sales people do.

Social Proof - what is that, another new age sellign buzz phrase? - by Gold Calling
Maybe I'm not clear - that's what I do, GC. I find out what people say they need and want then tell them I got an answer - they tell me if they want my answer or they need to talk about it, find out more.

I agree with you - that's it!

MitchM - by MitchM
Social Proof - what is that, another new age sellign buzz phrase?
Wikipedia definition: "Social proof, also known as informational social influence, is a psychological phenomenon that occurs in ambiguous social situations when people are unable to determine the appropriate mode of behavior. Making the assumption that surrounding people possess more knowledge about the situation, they will deem the behavior of others as appropriate or better informed." - by Marcus
Social proof is contemporary jumping on the band wagon. Look at all the social networks. I read on network marketing forums people doing all this social networking social proofing - I just read one today about how someone wrote on someone elses wall a message validating something - and they get all excited. You see that happen on YouTube too.

MitchM - by MitchM
Social proof is a psychological strategy that can help prospects in making a purchase. This is particularly useful with an amiable person. Studies have shown that over 60% of the general public falls into this category. These are prospect who have a strong desire to be liked and they often have a hard time making a decision. They want it to be "ok" to move forward with a the sale, otherwise they will give you excuses like, "I need to think about it."

Social proof is way that help put them at ease as it allows them to open their mind to the possibility of making a buying decision. Showing them that, "everyone is doing it" and that they are not the first to move buy (they don't ever want to be a pioneer with your product or service) will help them feel at ease. Social proof is a powerful concept that will greatly aid you with all sales and marketing. Everyone is influenced by Social Proof at some level that is why we like to look at books that are "Best Sellers." Although Amiable people are not only influenced by it, but many times it must be present for them to make a buying decision.

On a side note that I find interesting. Studies have shown and experience has proven that the number one age group where Social Proof is most often seen as a strong influencer is among teenagers. Though the teenage years are often considered a rebellious period of life and that may be true to some extent, among other teenagers it is only the ones who have the fullest identity in self that can stand up to their peers and go against the crowd (social proof). - by Joeylean
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.