Home > Networking > Networking People

Networking People

During networking with people Should I ask them to take out life insurance policy from me . Please guide me - by dennis27
No, networking is different than selling. Networking is making connections with people, some of whom will be prospects and some of whom will be able to refer you to others. Part of networking is also being of service to the other person. - by Skip Anderson
Skip gives a good definition of networking.

I've been at chamber events - TGIF, networking events, etc. and have watched inexperienced or aggressive people abruptly try to sell and it's a turn off. AND reputation spreads.

The best of the best of networking to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Networking is 'building relationships' with people who as they themselves get comfortable with you, develop trust in you, will then refer people to you who need your services. The upside could be a person you meet, becomes a client themselves, but that is not the initial goal.

Networking to build your business takes time. You also have to be a 'referral giver' before you will find yourself, getting referrals from others in the group. - by Paulette Halpern
If you want to become a better networker, all you have to do is ask people questions about themselves. In fact, one of the best books about this (IMO) is Dale Carnegies "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Pick up a copy for about $10 at any bookstore or free at a public library.

Ask them what they do. Ask them what is the ideal referral to them. Ask them how long they've been in the industry...etc. Talk to them about them a lot more than you talk about yourself. I've been able to get tons of business cards and personal contact information this way. I don't offer them to buy or do any business with me...save that for later!

Thanks,
Nam Do - by nocci01
Networking has a potential strength in the creation of relationships which can lead to business. Likewise, networking has a potential weakness which can lead to dead ended relationships and no business. Much has to do with how you view and use networking.

Whatever anyone does to generate referrals and leads it still always get back to: do you want what I got?

Finding that out is the question regardless of how people are found - you don't want to waste time of course.

I've known people who network in networking groups for years collecting shoe boxes and web templates of full of business cards and yet never generate much business.

Knowing who/what you are looking for is half the game. The other half is finding those people who identify themselves to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
You have to find a good networking group to belong to and then GIVE referrals before you expect to get referrals in return.

You can waste lots of time networking, never getting business in some cases and in others spend very little time, and develop good relationships quickly that turn into business.

In too many networking groups, the people there go because they are being told to go from their sales manager or boss. They may be more busy socializing that 'caring to network' at all. It is very important to find a serious group that is 'intent on helping each other, rather than doing a lot of talking about the importance of networking'.

It is not easy, but it could be very rewarding when the right one is found. - by Paulette Halpern
;bg During networking with people Should I ask them to take out life insurance policy from me . Please guide me
Doesn't it depend on where the networking ends and the selling begins? Do you really feel that you could do a proper needs analysis as a prerequisite to an underwriting process (making a sale) at a networking function? Or maybe I should ask whether you believe such an analysis is necessary to provide proper coverage. - by Ace Coldiron
Doesn't it depend on where the networking ends and the selling begins? Do you really feel that you could do a proper needs analysis as a prerequisite to an underwriting process (making a sale) at a networking function? Or maybe I should ask whether you believe such an analysis is necessary to provide proper coverage.
There is no beginning or end to either Networking or Selling. You network in specific places like the Chamber of Commerce meetings or networking groups designed for that like LeTip or BNI or a Chamber 'Leads Group'.....but belonging to civic associations or synogogues and churches are networking opportuntities. You can network as a guest at someone wedding....whenever you are around people.

Having a 'sales antenna' up, as a 'radar scope' should be a 24 hr thing. Not to pounce on someone and hard line try to sell them your product, but if the opportunity occurs to meet someone who has a need for your service.....set an appointment to meet them and further discuss it. With electronic blackberry calendars, it is easier than every before to have your calendar at your fingertips all the time. - by Paulette Halpern
That's what we do - have the antenna up.

At a bridal shower two weeks ago my wife met a couple whose daughter had a serious health need our products could address. My wife heard this in a conversation and they agreed to talk when we got back home.

Back home they introduced us to their daughter. [My wife had asked them at the shower how certain they were that she was looking for an answer and they said they were very certain.]

So for a few days we presented the evidence, found out what her needs were, and as a family they purchased $1,700 worth of products for all three of them.

I'd say a good 50% of our business has come about like this - networking.

I've been in a BNI group six years and that's been a good and productive experience too.

Networking isn't for everyone.

MitchM - by MitchM
There is no beginning or end to either Networking or Selling.
That could be true of some people I have known. Others have sought and attained what they termed "a balanced life". Among those in both categories that I have observed over the years, I have not seen a higher level of sales success from one group over the other.

Many of the questions on a forum like this are phrased as if there is a general principle that will provide an answer. But because none of us walk on water, perhaps it's best to volunteer an answer according to what we would do. Skip said "no", and then explained why, which I think was probably helpful.

My answer would be no also, if the "networking" referred to attending a networking event. We still don't know for sure if that was the case. - by Ace Coldiron
;bg During networking with people Should I ask them to take out life insurance policy from me . Please guide me
I agree with Skip on this one: Networking and Selling are two different things.

Start with these questions to yourself:

"Am I a giver or a taker?"

and

"Do I present myself as a giver or a taker?"

Move into Networking with the right heartset, and the right mindset will follow. Use your genuine interest in others to get them comfortable with you.

One more thing: Which appointment will get less resistance from a prospective client, and is easier to set... Asking them for an appointment to sell them your product;

OR

"I'd really like to know more about what you do, and I know it can be difficult in this particular setting. I may not need your (service or product) now; but if I do, or perhaps know somebody else that does; I'd like to be in the position to refer you. Here's my card (or contact info). Feel welcome to contact me once you check your schedule, and we can set up a time to get together that's convenient for both of us. I'm glad I had the chance to meet you."

?

(When you look at Networking as the opportunity to give others referrals, you will get to experience first-hand the rewards that come form being a great networker.)

Build relationships and follow-up. You will position yourself to help a lot of people. Give, Give, Give.

Warmly,

Tobias

aka "FollowUpMaster". - by FollowUpMaster
I believe in networking you can't learn enough about a person to be able to recommend the right kind of life insurance policy. There may be times you will meet someone who has a need for your product and they will tell you but you get their information and make contact at a later date.

Networking is meeting and greeting and then you follow-up with phone calls and e-mails to see if there may be an interest in your product. You have to remember to e-mail and call the people you meet in the next couple of days to jog their memory in who you are and to remind them that they met you at the networking. This keeps you top of mind.

MP - by MPrince
Hi all, great thread indeed.. I'm also a newbie here studying sales because of my new position.

Wow... I learned a lot from this thread.. - by slightedge
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.