Home > Networking > Networking Open Ended Questions.

Networking Open Ended Questions.

Can anyone please provide me with a list of open ended questions that I should ask people to know about their dreams, vision, goals, fears, business, family, likes and dislikes, liesure time, hobbies, friend circle, business associates etc.;bg - by dennis27
Tahe these words:

what
how
when
if
can
do

and make up three questions for each of your words. That will mean more to you than any anyone here can write for you.

I wish you much success, dennis27.

MitchM - by MitchM
Can anyone please provide me with a list of open ended questions that I should ask people to know about their dreams, vision, goals, fears, business, family, likes and dislikes, liesure time, hobbies, friend circle, business associates etc.;bg
dennis

When you are networking treat it just like you were at your favorite event. How do you act when you are among friends? That is the same way you act when you are networking. Just carry on a conversation. Talk about things of interest. It could be the SuperBowl, it could be Daytona, it could be whatever you are comfortable talking about and then very casually begin to ask what type of business they are in and let them start talking about themselves and their business. You could ask, "how long have you been in this type of business, what made you decide to go into this field, what has been your biggest challenge,"? Everyone LOVES to talk about themselves...all you do is listen and be interested. JUST RELAX!

MP - by MPrince
In networking, it's NOT about you as much as helping the other person. If all you do is "take" from your network, your network will soon become limited. Networking is about helping others and this can't be done until the issues are understood.

I've found these open ended question particularily valuable:

“Tell me more about…”
“Would you elaborate on…”
“Give me an example of…”
“What else should I know about…”
“What else would help me understand…”
“Talk to me about…
“Tell me your experience with…”
“How do you handle…?”

Asking good questions provides the road map to helping others. Doing so, the "Law of Reciprocity" kicks in... In social psychology, reciprocity refers to responding to a positive action with another positive action.

Help others and they will help you!

Rollie
Helping you help others... - by rolliemerrick
Dennis,

Having an absolute list of questions won't necessarily be helpful, especially if they come out of the blue. Networking is about having a casual, relaxed conversation that helps you build a relationship.

I typically start with the easy ones - especially if I'm at a networking event, like "Who are you here representing?" "What do you do for them/what does the company do?"

From there, ask questions about them that arise from what they just told you. That shows you're interested in them, listening to them as they speak and taking the conversation further.

It gets easier with experience...
Stephen - by sfrenkel
When you listen to people with an agenda to understand them and gain clarity on what they have to say the questions follow that intent. That's as simple and as genuine as it gets if you want to be successful.

The best of success to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
My favorite....

I am really curious to know... how did you decide to get into [whatever their line of work is]?

And then keep the conversation going by asking them to share more details about what they say etc. - by jdedwa11
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.