Home > Personal Selling > any vacuum sales pros out there

any vacuum sales pros out there

Hello

I just started as a vacuum cleaner salesman, but unfortunately have no one in the area I'm working to train and build me up to be one of the greats in this industry. I've tried to go and canvass door to door but people just don't seem to be receptive to my message. Does anyone have any experience in this industry that can tell me if there is a certain way to deliver a compelling message at the door which will turn over good results...any kind of help would be greatly appreciated... - by jrvisa
Hello

I just started as a vacuum cleaner salesman, but unfortunately have no one in the area I'm working to train and build me up to be one of the greats in this industry. I've tried to go and canvass door to door but people just don't seem to be receptive to my message. Does anyone have any experience in this industry that can tell me if there is a certain way to deliver a compelling message at the door which will turn over good results...any kind of help would be greatly appreciated...
Hi jrvisa. A few questions:

1. How long have you been doing door-to-door vacuum cleaner selling?

2. When you canvas, what have you been doing? What do you say? When you started with the company, did they provide training for you? How many doors have you knocked on? How many people have you talked to? Please fill us in so we know where your starting point is.

Thanks (and welcome to SalesPractice!). - by Skip Anderson
Only for about three months part time. But because of the earning potential I want to eventually do it full time. I did have a someone that trained me for about a month and the then left. My demonstration I feel is okay but as far as getting in homes to do my demonstration is what i've been struggling with. When I canvass I just pick random street and go at it. I try to get in offering a free deep cleaning of carpet and furniture. I haven't got in with this pitch yet but If I do i've been trained to do the cleaning that was promised and kind of lean in to a short but sweet demo of our product. I'm out in the feild for hours at times and have failed to get in and can't think of any other way to interest people to let me in their home. The trainer that was here discouraged me from coming straight out and saying we are showing a cleaning system because I assume that just gets doors closed much quicker. I have not been keeping track of how many people I speak to, but thus far I have no ratio to look at being that this method hasn't given me good results as of yet. - by jrvisa
So, presumably, this company has other salespeople who are out canvasing and being successful at it, is that correct?

If so, there's got to be a reason why you are not experiencing success. Here are 3 possibilities:

1. You don't have it down yet. You need to work on your pitch and refine it until it works. Little things make a big difference, so are there little things you're not doing that you should be?;

2. There's something about you (appearance, likability, trust) that isn't working for your prospects;

3. You haven't been out on the street enough.

Does the company have figures about how many demos you'll get for how many prospects you talk to at the door? If so, what are those stats? - by Skip Anderson
The only stats that I know of is demos to sales. 1 out of three demos will buy. I do believe that there might be some things I could work on. The unfortunate thing is that I don't have anyone here to critique me to become better. I don't feel as if I'm being myself at the door. I was told to be really upbeat when talking to people. But generally thats not who I am. I am very enthusiastic about our product but I feel I may be over acting when talking to people. If I brought everything down to a comfortable level and just spoke as if they were good friends of mine, would that possibly help? By the way here is my script any kind of feedback on would help a great deal:

Hi! My name is ________ with ABC Industries! We're working in your neighborhood today because a lot of people in this area we've spoke to are having problems with dust coming from(highway,construction sites,....)
Do you notice the air in your home being dusty all the time?
(wait for response)
If yes....
We also notice that a lot of your neighbors have light colored carpet with significant amounts of damage caused from the dust and dirt entering the home.
Do you have light colored carpets as well?
If yes...
Would you mind showing me where you are getting the most damage?
If I'm invited in, I inspect the carpet then offer to deep clean one area in the house free of charge.
If that all goes to plan the homeowners will see the great amount of dirt our product collects and we then smoothly go into our demo.
An honest opinion on this process would be greatly appreciated - by jrvisa
When you ask "Do you notice the air in your home being dusty all the time?", what percentage of people say "yes" and what percentage say "no?" - by Skip Anderson
I would say about 60% say yes - by jrvisa
Maybe try....

My name is _________, I am in the home cleaning industry. This is a sales call. Would you have a moment to talk?

If No - Is there a better time for me to come back? This will usually lead to .... what are you selling. To which you can respond - I am not really sure. Would it be ok to ask you some questions about how you currently clean your your home?

If Yes - Would it be ok to ask you some questions about how you currently clean your home?

Then, keep them talking as much as you can about how they clean and whether or not their home is as clean as they want. Dig deep into what's missing. It has to be their idea to talk vacuums.

You might want to order Selling with Integrity by Sharon Drew Morgen from Amazon.com. - by jdedwa11
60% sounds pretty good to me! I'm surprised it's that high, but it's great that it is.

Aside from your 60% achievement of an affirmative response, my concern is that you're starting out with a closed question (yes/no)...it's too easy for a customer to say "no." (do you sell your product to people with dark carpets? If so, why ask them if they have light carpet? If they say no, it's difficult to go anywhere from there!).

It might be wise to only ask a closed question early in your calls only if you're sure the answer is going to be "yes."

I'm curious about why your opening question is about dusty air? - by Skip Anderson
I open with that question because that was supplied with the one and only script that I got, and that the dust in the air settles in carpeting and belongings which our machine can effectively get rid of. What would be a goo opening question? - by jrvisa
Good question! Before I answer it, why would a customer buy your product? Why would they buy from your company? - by Skip Anderson
jrvisa,

what you are doing is cold calling door to door. unsolicited selling is a numbers game, you will get a high amount of no's before you get a yes, but in your case a yes isn't a sell, it's a foot in the door, so out of the number of yeses you get, you will only close a small percentage of them, the actual ratios are up to you and the product that you are selling.

If you feel that your being fake, chances are great that you comming of too canned to your prospects.

IMO your getting discouraged too fast, you need to get a better script that's for sure, but also have fun with it, This is a crazy world that we live in so most people, exspecially ladies at home alone, aren't going to be to eager to let you in their homes, with that beign said, I wouldn't give up on the door to door as it seems you might need the confidence and practice doing so, also, you might have to knock on 75 doors just to get a yes. I would also sugest that in addition to the door to door, you try another way to generate more qualified leads, you could print up some flyers and canvas parking lots, offering a free deep cleaning of one bedroom, or something of that nature, that way the people that contact you are already interested in your wares.

Give me an idea of the pay structure that you are working with, how much money for a vacume? how much commision do you get per vacume? how many do you have to sell weekly to make ends meet? how many have you sold thus far? How many is the companies top producer selling weekly? how long has the company been in buisness? does the company do any of it's own advertising that generates leads, and if so do you get any of those in addition to the self generated ones? What product if any have you sold in the past?

~James - by Mr. Cesario
first of all...there just isnt a better piece of equipment for killing other vacuums...than the KIRBY....so if youre selling anything else...you should def take a closer look at the kirby....

now as for door scripts...forget all that complicated blah blah blah about clean air and cleaning a carpet and expensive door gifts...

remember first things first....its all about voice inflection, if you dont have the right voice inflection, you wont get anywhere....

I CANT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS..VOICE INFLECTION.

OK as for a script....well i sold 5 vacuums in day once....
my script..

VERY IMPORTANT: AS YOU START SCRIPT GENTLY HAND THEM EITHER A ROLL OF PAPER TOWELS OR A BOTTLE OF WINDEX AS A CHEAP BUT EFFECTIVE PREMIUM THAT IS A PRACTICAL GIFT THAT ANY RESIDENT OF A HOUSEHOLD WILL NEED. GIVING THEM SOMETHING TOO EXPENSIVE OR TOO NICE LOOKS LIKE BS, A CHEAP GIFT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE A QUICK DEMO

MAKE SURE YOU SAY "REAL QUICK" TWICE as in the script...

"Oh hello, my name is micah, im with the kirby co of wherever right down on blah st. and I just popped by real quick for a real quick demo and i brought by a free gift...now is your husband/wife home today, cuz thats the only way i get credit for these?"

"OK great, that's how i get credit like i said, (hold up Shhhhh finger) so if you just hold on a moment, ill be right back with my equipment"

No matter what they say as an objection...just say

"Oh, well youre not interested...ok well thats fine, you know i just credit for doing these stupid demos, in fact i dont even care if you watch....and ill just like clean a quick traffic area or something...so like i said just dont mind me, if you just hold a sec ill be right back with my equipment"

WE DONT HAVE TIME....

"Oh, well, hmmm, in that case, ill just vacuum till you kick me out and then ill just tell my boss you werent interested"

MY WIFES NOT HOME, or husband

"Oh, ok, well i do have to be in this area tommorow and then again next week and when im back, after im done talking to a bunch of your neighbors and i have a quick moment, ill just pop by and clean a traffic for you real quick and that would get me the credit i need this week, now are you all usually home on the weekdays or is it better to try on the weekends?" - by coolmtn
once youve learned how to get into the door to get a demo, now you got to sell the thing, now how do you do that....

by acting like youre not expecting much, like i say

tell them they dont even have to watch....i mean seriously how many people will let you in and then not watch you? they will always watch and if they dont it can only ad to the effect youre wanting to create...

get in to the house, pull out one of your biggest punches immediately to get their attention, dont save your best for last...that just strings things out....

get in, pull a freakload of dirt as fast as possible.... if youre not able to, youre probably not selling a KIRBY, cuz they always pull a ton of dirt.....

start with the upright for a quick moment, then when you get the first dirt sample, act completely and utterly shocked....dont show them, just act shocked, not overly, just very surprised, like

"WOW, now that is incredible!"

they will ask what....whats so incredible...

"well, when was the last time you vacuumed again....?"

"wow, ok, well i dont know what to think about all that, but uh.... well let me try that again"

show the dirty sample and if done well, they will be like wow too

you say " this is amazing, your floor looked pretty clean to begin with, i dont know what to think about that. How old is this carpet?"

Now you are creating a sense of surprise, like wow, sure if you knew about this problem you would have done somehting about it by now...

youve only been in the house a few minutes and youre already ready to ask the big trial close question...

But ask 2-3 YES questions first....questions that can only be answered yes 99% of the time

"well im sure you could see the benefit to keeping all that dirt out of the home right?"

"surely if you had of known about all this in the carpet, you probably would have done something about it by now....right?"

"I mean, honestly, if it was affordable, is something youd like to have?"

THERE YOU HAVE IT....

I ALWAYS RECOMMEND SHOWING PRICE EARLY....it implies that youre not like other salespeople, youre not typical....

and whats better is if you have your price on a sheet witha basic plan layout for cash and finance say, then give it to them pretty quick, that way they can THINK ABOUT IT..

I mean you dont want to get to the end of the demo and not have any idea how much value they place on your product. you have no idea of how much resistance there is to the price till you show it.

In the beginning of your demo, imply or allude to the price...

say "these machines are extremely expensive, but they last forever and as you can see they do a far superior job, im sure youd agree with that right?" (point to your dirt samples)

THEY SAY "Expensive....well how much is it?"

thats a question you want.
joke with them, say "well dont worry, its less than $4000 ...so its still affordable for just about anyone"

hold a straight face a moment and when they sounds shocked or they laugh, then you laugh just kidding, theyre not quite that much, just 3999! no but seriously like i said they are very expensive....and then give them your price sheet and say the price outloud....get em thinking....

99% of the time, if they hold on to the price sheet through the rest of the demo, they will or at least very much want to buy.

99% of the time, if they lay the sheet back down on the table or hand it back to you or put it on your demo kit say....they are not likely to be a sale.... unless you build that value in their mind, but if you aint done that with that quick major dirt samples right away, then it probly aint gonna happen. - by coolmtn
seriously dont ever let anyone talk you into thinking theres a better way to sell a $2000 vacuum than door to door....

canvassing parking lots is a complete waste of time... you want to target your prospect ...that means working in certain neighborhoods. places where theres money and good credit....

theres different ways to get in....i suggest the short, i know nothing other than doing a demo type of approach...

no matter what the prospect ask you about the vacuum or anything technical or how they can buy one of if youre selling something...just act new, play dumb and dont have answers to those kind of questions, because youre way too naive to sell a thing....thats what you want them to think about you...

the first impression is everything, voice inflection and body language are the two most important aspects.

Ive sold 20 vacuums in 2 weeks.... 24 in a month 5 in a day

i now sell insulation door to door tho...much easier...in fact i made $3,000 today...one deal....much more lucrative.... - by coolmtn
canvassing parking lots is a complete waste of time... you want to target your prospect ...that means working in certain neighborhoods. places where theres money and good credit....
Coolmtn,

The OP was getting frustrated, and I just gave him one example of a way to generate leads for himself.

Is it the best way to get leads? No, The idea was to get him thinking there are other ways to get appointments that will lead to him getting in the door.

Your opinion is that canvassing parking lots is a complete waist of time, I would think that anything that eventually leads to a sell would be lucrative, would you not agreee?

The OP was obviously not comfortable talking to people door to door unsolicated. I simply gave him one idea of a way to get someone to contact him that is actually interested in what he is selling, giving him more qualified people to demonstrate with, thus building his confidence level with his product.

He can have the best script out there, but if not delivered properly, it wont do him any good.

Reading between the lines in his post It was my opinion that his confidence level was the biggest thing that he needed to work on, followed by the script, but I am in no way a sales Guru like yourself, I'm just simply trying to make it.

~James - by Mr. Cesario
the reason this guy is getting frustrated is because hes focused on just the sale....

forget the sale...just focus on 10-15 quick little demos for the week....qualified ones where they have a descent middle income or more...

i mean in the beginning just do the demos like you dont get paid until you do 10 for the week, and then youlll get sales..

canvassing a parking lot to sell a $2000 vacuum cleaner would be like shooting at the moon....

that would only build the frustration and waste time.

NOW if you are having a hard time getting in the door on the spot..just make a little door appointment....real simple...but like i said voice inflection and body language is the most important part of it....

there are not better ways to get into a person house than to knock on the door with a smile on your face and a good technique....

what he needs for confidence is a sale... not a waste of time in parking lot asking some random street twacker if he can come over for an appointment....like someones gonna just give you their address after meeting you for the first time in parking lot....lol - by coolmtn
what he needs for confidence is a sale... not a waste of time in parking lot asking some random street twacker if he can come over for an appointment....like someones gonna just give you their address after meeting you for the first time in parking lot....lol
We are just going to have to agree to dissagree, you are turning my words around to your benefit, I gave 1 idea of how to try and generate other leads, my idea was an example, and only that and was intended for the OP.

How you get passing out flyers in a parking lot to randomly walking up to people and asking for their address is beyond me.

I will admit that I am no expert in the "unsolicited door to door sales" but a sale is a sale regardless of it's structure, he was uncomfortable with his approach, and IMO was getting frustrated to the point of giving up. My intention was to give him hope and an 1 of many options of lead generation.

If 100 flyers are past out on parked cars stating xyz and 1 persons call's inquiring about xyz, that 1 person is his target. He can hone his people skills on that 1 person. Do that in addition to door to door, not as a substatution.

In your theory he should only focus on door to door sales. So if he was getting gas at a gas station and overheard the attendent expresing a need for xyz, should he ignore that and continue with his door to door, or would it be allowed for him too "waist his time" with that attendent? Also if he was at a gathering and was meeting new people and passed out his buisness card and someone said oh...xyz... my friends neighboor has used xyz for years tell me more... What should he do then? These are just elementary examples of ways to generate more income. But to suggest these or anything else capable of lead generation is a waist of time is just missleading at best. In addition it's also your opinion and not a proven fact. If you are comming to this site to help people I would sugest you have a more open mind approach to things.

~James - by Mr. Cesario
ok my cesario....look i wasnt trying to make you mad....i guess i jumped the gun in sounding a little more cynical than i should....

im just being completely honest with you....because i sold the $2000 vacuum for 6 years....

i sold 5 in a day...a very rare feet in that business any experienced vacuum guy will tell you.....ive sold 10 in a week...multiple times...

now if that aint enough credibility on the subject i dont know what is...

now if you were talking almost any other product like say home insulation or new cars or insurance....sure you might get some successful leads from people you meet once in a while escpecially if youre a big networker type...

as for $2000 vacuums....sure someone might know a friend who owns one....and sure they might refer you...

its hard enough to get a demo.. which should be your only first intention in this kind of business....

i sell insulation now...and make about $5-10 grand a week going door to door....so im just saying whos advice do you think this guy should take.... i just made 11k this last week and a half.

as for a flyer.....well like i said someone might call about an insurance flyer or something of that nature...

but NOONE ABSOLUTELY NOONE WILL EVER CALL FROM A FLYER TO SEE A VACUUM CLEANER.... they will simply go inside the wal mart that you found their car at and just buy a hoover for $150....

in fact in 6 years of thousands of vacuum demos...i had one single person call me back...to buy the vacuum after i left the house..... now keep in mind those thousands of demos were quite strong.....with very heavy dirt samples that would surely convince anyone in their right mind to buy one....but at $2000 ....on a vacuum within an hour or so...noones gonna be self motivated to buy or even see one....

in fact in the 6 years of selling managing and training people to sell vacuums...out of the many many thousands of doors that ive personally knocked.....I can recall ONLY ONE TIME that a person answered the door with a genuine interest in looking a kirby vacuum with intentions of possibly buying it.... i wrote that paperwork up in about 10 minutes after getting in the house....that was because he was demoed by some other guy who missed the sale for whatever reason... so that should attest to the motivation level of a $2000 vacuum prospect..

now once again you are talking about flyers and you say i jumped to actually talking to peopel in the lot....well yeah..i mean how many leads would you get from a flyer...? lol

flyers in general are lucky if the get a response rate of 1 out of a thousand...... .01 percent...... 1 out of 100 is practically unheard of with any kind of flyer ad....much much less an flyer for a vacuum......when people think new vacuum....they think target or wal mart or sears....

NOW....even if you somehow did get that unheard of response rate of 1 out of a 100....then how many of those people do you think would be likely homeowner that are in a position with enough cash or credit to buy a vacuum for $2000...??????

Thats why you have to go target a neighborhood....thats what kirby has done for over 90 years now....I GUARANTEE NOONE EVER SOLD A KIRBY WITH A FLYER INA PARKING LOT....OK MAYBE ONE...BUT ID BE VERY SURPRISED.

when people think home improvement or new car.....then its more likely that they conjure images of a salesperson.....

so im just trying to save the guy a complete waste of time....thats it.....

in fact i hate to say guy...but you say those are "elementary methods" well yeah id agree with that....
im trying to teach some more advanced methods....because believe me ...in order to sell those vacuums with any frequency, youre probly gonna need them.

i mean comon.....the gas station attendant ???? interested in a $2000 vacuum.....able to afford one????? sorry but LMAO

youll get their address toshow up for a quick demo...you end up in a trailor park or an apt where you chances of selling have plummeted to probably about .00000000001 %

so im just saying , you may have an opinion on this topic...but that is a quite undereducated opinion that i was simply trying to correct..nothing personal its just that you have no frame of reference...on this topic... in fact you sound like youve hardly ever sold a thing....no offense...just saying! - by coolmtn
i mean comon.....the gas station attendant ???? interested in a $2000 vacuum.....able to afford one????? sorry but LMAO

youll get their address toshow up for a quick demo...you end up in a trailor park or an apt where you chances of selling have plummeted to probably about .00000000001 %

so im just saying , you may have an opinion on this topic...but that is a quite undereducated opinion that i was simply trying to correct..nothing personal its just that you have no frame of reference...on this topic... in fact you sound like youve hardly ever sold a thing....no offense...just saying!
You crack me up. I'm so glad there are naive salesmen such as yourself out there. Good luck to you. - by Mr. Cesario
Quick question, would you get in everyday using this method and if so how many doors would you hit before getting in? - by jrvisa
The lady above me is right about the first step being to just get to the decision maker...

I sell health benefits...in order to get a prospect lead....i simply open up with a direct cut to the chase...

"Hello this is mike with ABC benefits and I was just calling REAL QUICK just to give you a little bit of free information about a special program sponsored by local health care providers. Now, may I speak to the person who handles those decisions"

"oh hello bob, yes, my name is micah, now i was just calling REAL QUICK to give you a little bit of free information on a special program sponsored by local health care providers. There's a good chance your company may qualify, its only for businesses with BLAH BLAH BLAH... now you are one of those companies right?"

"OK Great, well then this would actually lower your monthly overhead for health care by as much as 50% blah blah...

so once again, my name is mike and my job is just to let you know i have a partner whos not available right now (or im busy getting back with a ton of people right now), but later on when its more convenient, me or my partner will just give you a quick call back (or we'll just pop by your business real quick when hes in the area talking to people nearby anyways) and just see if you are even a good candidate or if you even qualify for the program real quick before leaves the area!? Fair enough?"

IF YOU SAY ALL THAT REAL SMOOTH AND NON CHALANT AND "TAKE OR LEAVE IT" "NO BIG DEAL" "EVERYONE ELSE QUALIFIED, JUST WONDERED IF YOUD CARE FOR THE INFO.....COULD REDUCE YOUR OVERHEAD BY 50% OR MORE....NOT SURE IF THAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU OR NOT" "ID SAY YOU COULD EVEN GET EVERYONE IN YOUR BUSINESS SET UP ON THIS NEW LOWER COST PROGRAM AND INCREASE YOUR EMPLOYEE RETENTION IMMEDIATELY AT THE SAME TIME. IN FACT, IF YOU SAW THE BENEFITS TO OFFERING THIS TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AS YOUR COMPANY BENEFITS BEFORE THE END OF PROMOTION WE"RE HAVING, WE EVEN PAY THE $X REGISTRATION FEE ON EVERY ONE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES....WHICH WOULD ACTUALLY SAVE YOU A TON OF MONEY....BUT LIKE I SAID EVEN IF YOU MISS OUT ON THAT PROMOTION, DONT WORRY, even with the $X reg fee, its still a great program, in fact a lot of people prefer to wait and do this program later. WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE IF GIVES YOU TIME TO MAKE SURE that our $x monthly premium will be lower than what your current company plan is..."

PROSPECT "Well that would def be lower. So you say that the cost would be $x for the program?"

YOU "Well yeah, but thats on the promotion which is ending soon, so like i said the cost will actually be $X....the other price you mentioned...thats only if your able to get started like right away....which like i said, most people arent in position to take advantage of that discount...not everybody's in position to start the benefit right away, so like i said this pricing over here is good anytime....so even if you cant get in on this promotion, not worries, because you can always do it later for this over here..."

PROSPECT " SO YOU MEAN to say that if i call you later its gonna be $X and not $X...?"

YOU " WELL I MEAN YEAH, cuz this promotion is ending, in fact, we have so many people on the waiting list, i cant guaranteed wed even have time to get you into the system before that promo ends...i mean unless of course you were taking the application right away i could put you on the waiting list for that and see if you can still get in on that.... but like i said, most people arent in position to do that... but dont get me wrong, im sure you can see why so many companies are on the waiting list for the promotion pricing...i mean its only $x to get started as opposed to $X later... so im sure you see why theres such a big response to that...PAUSE"

PROSPECT " YEAH IT SOUNDS GOOD"

YOU "YEAH, well like i said thats only if youre participating in that promotion before it ends.... i mean if you see the benefits to starting the coverage/benefits before the promotion ends and getting all the extra discounts/bonuses and taking the application today.... then what they would require is blah blah...(like your mailing address and a little bit of basic information from you)"

THIS IS WHAT I CALL BAITING THE TRAP....YOU GIVE THEM A LITTLE BAIT AND IF THEY TAKE IT, YOU CLAMP DOWN WITH A GOOD ASSUMPTIVE AND SMOOTH CLOSE SUCH AS "IN ORDER TO DO THAT PROGRAM, ALL WE WOULD NEED IS A COPY OF THE GAS BILL!!" "DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE GAS BILL?????"

IF THEY GET THE GAS BILL....YOU GOT THE SALE...

IF THEY GIVE YOU THE BASIC INFO, YOU GOT THE SALE....

IF THEY REPLY, YOU GOT THE SALE...

thats how you want it....close with statements like

YOU "well the only problem with that program is we would need a copy of a valid drivers license..."

THEM "Oh well i have that....a drivers license, i can supply that"

YOU " Oh really, ok...well then theres a chance you may still get in on it"

another example

YOU "well yeah this program is great, but its only for those with established credit that are prepared to get on the waiting list right away" ( ONLY IF YOURE SURE THEY GOT GOOD CREDIT)

THEM "WELL WE GOT GREAT CREDIT..."

YOU " OH ok well in that case if you see the benefits to the promo/discount/special then all we would need is a little basic info from you, whos name would you want to put on the application first?"

another example

YOU " Well those little discounts are great and all but thats only for people that are in position to pay using a major method of payment such as check or credit card...."

THEM "well we use credit cards..."

YOU " OH well in that case you may qualify, but in order to participate in that program I would need a little bit of basic info from you"

another example

YOU " Well that program is great and all, but were pretty much at the deadline on that and besides thats only for people that are in a position to pay cash, and not everyone is able to do that so this other program is great because you dont have to pay for a whole year up front and its just less money up front and the finance charge is low"

THEM " WELL WE ONLY PAY CASH for everything....we dont like to finance..we dont pay interest/we dont like monthly payment, we would only pay cash...YOU GOT TO HAVE SOMETHING FOR US...CASH BUYERS THAT WANT TO SIGN UP RIGHT AWAY....CAN YOU DO ANYTHING FOR PEOPLE LIKE US...WE DONT WANT TO SEE THAT OTHER PROGRAM, WE JUST WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE ONE WITH THE PROMOTION"

YOU " Oh, hmm, well ....i see, in that case i could try to get you in on the promotion pricing before its over, but, i mean, if you did participate in that promotion, how would you handle the $X?"

THEM " Well, we probably write a check/use credit card"

YOU (BLANK STUNNED, MIFFED, INNOCENT LOOK ON YOUR FACE) " Oh, ok, well then you may still have a chance to get in on that, but in order to get in on it at the lower price, I would need to have the two forms of ID including your ID #, do you have an ID # you can supply?!"

THEM " OH well we can come up with that, i have a DL and a passport."

SEE IM just giving some basics....obviously you may have to tailor these methods to your specific product....but i guarantee the fundamentals are the same....

ive lost my train of though several times throughout this posting so its a real general approach to closing...that you should be able to apply to almost any product if you can be creative enough....

you got to sit and think through each sentence, not only what youre gonna say, but how youre gonna say it...how youre inflection is gonna be....

remember you are an actor...i dont care what you say...any good salesperson is just an actor...

acting as if hes the new guy who used to work in customer service or service dept...who was brought in to help the sales dept for a couple of days because the companies getting such a huge response to your "promotions" or "programs" or whatever....

you cant wait till the "stupid" promo is over because you want a little more time off and you dont like doing sales anyway, you just want to get back to doing customer service...since you dont make much money selling these "promo packages" or whatever since the are so "low cost"..... you have no desire to even sell one to them since you are not even normally a salesperson and you dont get any significant commission anyways.....and you dont even want to sign them up cuz you kinda want to just get home, so youre really doing them a favor by signing them up now....youre gonna be the helpful service guy that goes out of his way to stay a little later that night to help them since they happen to be getting in at the "last minute" ... help them get in on a discount cuz youre one of those family oriented types that aint real crazy about the "sales people" in your company so you're almost a "rogue" employee going against the company to help out "the little guy" the customer who happened to straggle in on the car lot right before the sale ended and you just got caught up helping them.....

this is the feel you want to give to every sale.....

take away....take it or leave it...most people cant qualify for this and that.... - by coolmtn
ok just me late night reading on some of the postings here....

for starters, if you want to become really confident of your abilities, you will buy a little notebook, a small pocket size notebook with the spiral on the side...just a mini notebook if you will...cheap..get it at like a walmart or something...small...always have pens on you, i suggest using a polo shirt with a pocket ...just right for sales but not overly nerdy or sale man like for selling a vacuum cleaner...

in that notebook....write down the name of each street at the top of a new page...and its palm size so its easy to deal with....just map the street house numbers in the notebook..

ie... start with a cross street to signify starting area..

8/7/08
Poplar Ave X Baker st.
1301 NH (blank)
1303 NI
1305 CB
1307 CB Tue 8/11 after 5 pm Cindy + mr.
1309 NH (blank)
1401 Demoed
1402 SALE - JOHN AND MARLENE SANDERS
etc

now just keep track of everyone in a neighborhood fairly easy this way, that way you dont "torch" through a whole neighborhood... that way you dont get burnt out going back to neighborhoods and what not...you just work one neighborhood at a time...

NOW VERY IMPORTANT...you want to maximize your sales

YOU IMPLEMENT THIS NOT AT HOME TRACKING METHOD and always use everyone name whenever possible...so when i knock on a neighborhood door....i can say

"Oh hello, yes hi, my name is micah, i was just popping by real quick... I dont suppose you know John Williams, you know, john, your neighbor next door (Point to the house)? Well he just qualified for a special program sponsored by the local the local ABC company and since i have to speak to everyone in the neighborhood anyways, i figured id just pop by real quick for a real quick demo while im still in the area, and i brought by a free gift ( HAND GIFT WITH STRONG INTENTION), now you are a head of the household here right?"

"OK great and is your husband or wife home today by any chance, because thats the only way I get credit for these!?!"

REMEMBER ASKING IF THEY ARE THE HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD is a way to for one thing, qualify them as a decision maker and secondly to get them in to "yes mode" because if they are the head of household, typically if you come across as real non chalant, not nosey, just curious, just making sure you get the proper credit, because otherwise youre not gonna get some guaranteed wage unless you at least just do X number of demos a week, so you really appreciate the help just getting a demo credit... however...dont waste your time if the prospect clearly is not qualified for whatever reason....

if the situation is pretty questionable....ask trial questions quickly...dont waste a ton of time..just be quick....pull dirt sample and ask if they would see the benefit of keeping all that dirt out of the carpet and furnishing

then ask if they would have a ABC product if it was affordable if they say yes or maybe...then spend a little more time....

if you need to, be more direct, ask , would you get one of these if it was affordable...?

theres direct ways and indirect ways to ask.... - by coolmtn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.