Home > Personal Selling > How does one find a good sales mentor?

How does one find a good sales mentor?

Hello to all,

I've recently started a game development outsourcing company with myself and a partner. As CEO and frontman, I am also by default the Chief Sales Officer and lead salesman.

I'm now starting on my first few sales, and loving the process thmbp2;, but I've really not had too much sales experience in the past and know that there's much room for improvement.

As part of this, I've bought Jeff Gitomer's sales bible and taken great sales advice from that.. but I need more training, and mentors are a great way to do this.

I need a sales mentor to help give me good sales heuristics
and coach me on my sales correspondances and overall sales processes.... but I'm very much at a loss to where to find one, especially since I'm on a limited budget.

Does anyone have any advice on where I could find a mentor, perhaps via networking organizations or online? Any insight from the voices of experience on this forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Mike. - by Gamer Mike
As you have found out buying a book can give you some guidance and advise, but it doesn't give you the 'one on one interaction a coach/mentor can do' to help you internalize and customize items for your company.

Find a mentor, by talking to them and decide if their philosophy is something you share and then can work with them. They don't have to be local to you, either.

In todays world, tele-coaching which I do to help my clients customize the Sandler Selling System into their business world, works very well along with our OnLine-Web Based training program to learn our selling system.

But to learn if that is what will be good for you, at an investment you can handle you need to call. - by Paulette Halpern
It's a challenge because you find thousands who will tell you they are the coach/mentor with the answers. So you start sorting.

What did I do on a limited budget? I picked the brain of our sponsors in the business I'm in and also talked with a couple hundred top producers top earners - putting it all together I learned. I also went to study online reading reading reading.

BUT I know what you are saying, Gamer Mike - you want that one person perfect for you and perfect with the information you need. Maybe someone else here can answer that more specifically.

I wish you well.

MitchM - by MitchM
What you have learned has been a good lesson....buying books and getting good advice from them is just not enough. Reading a book, doesn't give you someone who can help you 'intergrate' what you have learned into your business environment and keep you on track doing it.

You need to talk to potential mentors and make sure their philosophy and your philosophy can meld together for you to make the most of the experience.

But you are going to have to invest in a good mentor. Like anything else, if you think it will be free, you will find that you got what you paid for it....very little.

Sales trainers, coaches, mentors are what help you stay at the top of your game and business....but make sure it is a mentor that 'does' what they tell you to do, not just 'talk' about doing it.

Make sure they 'walk their own walk' not just 'talk the talk'. - by Paulette Halpern
One of the primary reasons people seek a mentor (or coaching) is that there are things they want that they have not been able to achieve on their own.

Jeffrey Gitomer is a great sales technique author and a good start. I own many of his books and I've seen him live a few times. I really like his style, I think its because we're both Jersey guys.

I can tell you from my own 15+ years of successful sales and sales management experience, technique is only one piece of the puzzle.

Personal management abilities play a very key role in sales success as well. These abilities include; Self Mastery, Self Talk, Personal Planning, and Personal Health. These abilities are the foundation upon which all other sales abilities depend upon, and, are considered the most important areas needed for success.

With this said, look for a sales mentor/coach that can provide for you a multi-demensional model that produces transormational results in the areas of achievement, development, and discovery.

I'll break them down for you.

Achievement, coaching to help you' learn to set specific measurable goals... ie; earn or sell X amount of $$ by a specific timetable, etc.

Development, coaching to help you become better at something like time management, self mastery, comminucating effectively, or other personal develeopment areas like self talk, personal planning, personal health.

Discovery, coaching to help you accept and embrace your intrinsic value. This will help you find true satisfaction in anything that you do.

Good luck to you and I hope you find this information helpful.

GlennB - by GlennB
Hello to all,

I've recently started a game development outsourcing company with myself and a partner. As CEO and frontman, I am also by default the Chief Sales Officer and lead salesman.

I'm now starting on my first few sales, and loving the process thmbp2;, but I've really not had too much sales experience in the past and know that there's much room for improvement.

As part of this, I've bought Jeff Gitomer's sales bible and taken great sales advice from that.. but I need more training, and mentors are a great way to do this.

I need a sales mentor to help give me good sales heuristics
and coach me on my sales correspondances and overall sales processes.... but I'm very much at a loss to where to find one, especially since I'm on a limited budget.

Does anyone have any advice on where I could find a mentor, perhaps via networking organizations or online? Any insight from the voices of experience on this forum would be much appreciated.

Thanks - Mike.
Mike,

Go to this site www.salespractice.com
It's a great reasource, and there is a ton of people there that are willing to help you. All you have to do is make a detailed post explaining your situation and letting us know what exactly your looking for. The really cool thing, is it FREE.

Ok all sarcasim aside, this is why this site is here. Be more specific on what exactly your looking to gain? Where do you feel you need the most help? You state in your post that your loving the sales process, what part of the process are you loving? With a more descriptive post, I'm sure most of what your looking for is readily availible to you here, Good Luck.

~James - by Mr. Cesario
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.