Home > Cold Calling > what to say

what to say

I'm not afraid to pick up the phone.. just havent any idea what to say. The typical response i'm getting from the other end is can you call me back next week or later or something like that which i take as "i dont really want to talk to you but i cant come out and say no"

I'm new to selling commercial insurance. I'm working on building my network through different organizations but I cant rely on them right now.

can someone help me with a "script" As an organization, we try not to focus too much on price. We really do offer many benefits to clients. primarily risk management, contract reviews... annalyzing self insurance gaps, website reviews.. We can help put into practice safety training, pre-employment screening. We also have a very large network with other professionals and can put our clients in touch with whomever, whether it be legal or accounting ect. The agency has been serving our community since 1892.

These are the things we do to differentiate ourselves from every other insurance agency we compete against and once im in front of a prospect i can easily convey these items. What can i say to find out what would be a value to them.. or grab there attention and get the appointment? - by nxn459
Try....

Hi, this is [your name] and I am with [name of agency]. We specialize in [insert your unique selling proposition or value statement here].

For receptionist, continue by saying...

We are not currently doing business with your company and would like to change that. Who do you suggest I talk with to begin that process?

If talking to the decision maker, say....

We are not doing business with you now and would certainly like to change that situation. I would like to sit and talk with you about your business and some of the protection gaps that you might not know you have [or whatever problem statement you want to put here]. Perhaps one of these days we can do business together. Would you be open to that possibility?

If no....

Oh? They will explain why. If it because they already have insurance, say....

I'm impressed. I rarely come across a business that is FULLY COVERED. [let them talk from here]

If they feel they are covered and don't want to meet with you, ask for a referral - someone they know that may not have everything covered.

If yes....

When would be a good time to talk? First of the week, end of the week? Morning or afternoon? What's best for you? - by jdedwa11
As a rule, insurance companies have extensive training. Why don't you talk to the more experienced and successful sales people within your organization and find out what they say.

I have worked with many insurance agents, but before they seek outside help they exhaust the internal resources. Many insurance companies are unhappy when an agent, doesn't sell using the 'company approach'. - by Paulette Halpern
I have two replies and I have never sold insurance of any kind so I'm speaking from observation.

The first is this - a man joined the BNI franchise I belong to and he sells all kinds of insurance mostly home owners and auto BUT he has almost everyone in the group now because he offers quality/quantity coverage with a good company and in most situaitons savings for the customer. His pitch is usually about better coverage less cost.

Secondly, I believe in the high probability selling model which is from the cold call stand point is to dial up three and a half hours a day and with a 45 or less word count offer name yourself, what you do, give two features, and ask if that's what the person wants. Also, call back every 4 - 6 weeks with two new features.

MitchM - by MitchM
people are teaching how to sound like a salesperson on this site...thats not cool

id rather sound like some random happy go lucky guy that is just happy to supply a little free info...

you want a good script for calling on insurance...

ok well dont use any of those other lines people have written here...they sound like salesperson lines....like when a guy uses an obvious pick up line....its too cliche

how about this:

"oh hello, my names blah with blah blah and i was just calling real quick to give you some free info a special program sponsored by local health care providers, now my i please speak just real quickly to the person who handles those decisions?"

be authoritive....
when you have decision maker say

"oh hello, my names blah with blah blah and i was just calling real quick to give you some free info a special program sponsored by local health care providers and theres a good chance that you and your staff may qualify, now once again my name is blah and my job is just to let you know that i have a partner who is not available right now but sometime when its more convenient and he has a quick moment, hell just give you a quick call just to give you a little more info and just see if you even qualify for the program.....fair enough?"

said with the right inflection, this will get a yes almost every time...

they say ok....you say

"ok great now im sorry once again my name is blah, may I ask you name?"

"Ok (their name) well like i said sometime as soon as we have a moment will give you a quick call to give you that info and in the mean time ill send you alittle basic info by email/mail/fax, do you have a way to receive on of those?"

from there you can set a definite call back time if youre like in a dedicated situation where youre always working that one business.... on the other hand you can just put them into your lead database and call them as needed...when you call back you go into a more in depth pitch about your product which by then has been reviewed by email or fax or whatever, so you dont have much credibility problems....cuz thats the biggest prob with insurance type products....people wont spend a dollar on it if they arent confindent it will really work. the pre pitch info by email or fax helpts to build your credibility....and takes away the excuse that they want you to just send info... you already did...

if they say that already have insurance....just agree with them..

"oh ok, well thats great, ill bet thats a great plan, anyways like i say, my jobs just to give you a little free info i get credit for sending it out to you, even if youre already covered well"

i mean think about it...the more bad things you say about a persons current supplier...the more good things they will conjure up to defend that supplier or product.....

on the other hand if you act like they have something good already, then for one thing they wont feel too threatened to accept your info, they wont feel like youre trying to sell anything...and in fact in their minds or even out loud, they may downplay what they currently have...."oh its not that great" or something along those lines....

people always want to provide contrast.....agreeable people are not sales....NOT INTERESTED PEOPLE ARE YOUR SALES.....THEY AND YOU JUST DONT KNOW IT YET.

in fact id venture to say that the easiest and fattest sales are those that come from the people that said they werent interested...

now dont just say "well you havent had a chance to look at my great product" or something blatently salesman like.....

say " oh not interested....ok....welll in that case ill just send you the free info and maybe you would nt mind telling your friends about it in the future.."

see what you need to do is just get a presentation....dont worry about selling until youve crossed the threshhold...until your in the demo or presentation....until then youre not selling anything..... - by coolmtn
no i know im not trying to sell them over the phone. that isnt practical

Im thinking about something along the lines of

Greeting

Introduction

Do you currently have workers comp insurance? <YES>

I figured you do.

I specialize in workers compensation. Chances are, your company is overpaying. I'm able to identify where you are over paying from policy errors in classifications, credits, modification and claims.

I have found over fifty percent of my clients were over paying. they were allowing this expensive insurance to control them and their companies bottom line. I want to show you how you can control it

Will you allow me thirty minutes to give a second opinion and show you this system can work for you instead of against you?

Do you think that would catch their attention and let me in the door?

granted its an outline..and obviously i wont read it to them but that is the message i want to get across. - by nxn459
The first thing you have to focus on is the understanding that the phone call is just to set up an appointment with the right person, generally someone who is part of the decision process if not "the" decision maker. Easier said than done, depending upon product and prospect.

You need to learn skills to 'get past the gatekeeper' without 'giving away what you do'....since gatekeepers have annointed themselves power they generally don't possess.

That's the concept. - by Paulette Halpern
The lady above me is right about the first step being to just get to the decision maker...

I sell health benefits...in order to get a prospect lead....i simply open up with a direct cut to the chase...

"Hello this is mike with ABC benefits and I was just calling REAL QUICK just to give you a little bit of free information about a special program sponsored by local health care providers. Now, may I speak to the person who handles those decisions"

"oh hello bob, yes, my name is micah, now i was just calling REAL QUICK to give you a little bit of free information on a special program sponsored by local health care providers. There's a good chance your company may qualify, its only for businesses with BLAH BLAH BLAH... now you are one of those companies right?"

"OK Great, well then this would actually lower your monthly overhead for health care by as much as 50% blah blah...

so once again, my name is mike and my job is just to let you know i have a partner whos not available right now (or im busy getting back with a ton of people right now), but later on when its more convenient, me or my partner will just give you a quick call back (or we'll just pop by your business real quick when hes in the area talking to people nearby anyways) and just see if you are even a good candidate or if you even qualify for the program real quick before leaves the area!? Fair enough?"

IF YOU SAY ALL THAT REAL SMOOTH AND NON CHALANT AND "TAKE OR LEAVE IT" "NO BIG DEAL" "EVERYONE ELSE QUALIFIED, JUST WONDERED IF YOUD CARE FOR THE INFO.....COULD REDUCE YOUR OVERHEAD BY 50% OR MORE....NOT SURE IF THAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU OR NOT" "ID SAY YOU COULD EVEN GET EVERYONE IN YOUR BUSINESS SET UP ON THIS NEW LOWER COST PROGRAM AND INCREASE YOUR EMPLOYEE RETENTION IMMEDIATELY AT THE SAME TIME. IN FACT, IF YOU SAW THE BENEFITS TO OFFERING THIS TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AS YOUR COMPANY BENEFITS BEFORE THE END OF PROMOTION WE"RE HAVING, WE EVEN PAY THE $X REGISTRATION FEE ON EVERY ONE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES....WHICH WOULD ACTUALLY SAVE YOU A TON OF MONEY....BUT LIKE I SAID EVEN IF YOU MISS OUT ON THAT PROMOTION, DONT WORRY, even with the $X reg fee, its still a great program, in fact a lot of people prefer to wait and do this program later. WHICH IS GREAT BECAUSE IF GIVES YOU TIME TO MAKE SURE that our $x monthly premium will be lower than what your current company plan is..."

PROSPECT "Well that would def be lower. So you say that the cost would be $x for the program?"

YOU "Well yeah, but thats on the promotion which is ending soon, so like i said the cost will actually be $X....the other price you mentioned...thats only if your able to get started like right away....which like i said, most people arent in position to take advantage of that discount...not everybody's in position to start the benefit right away, so like i said this pricing over here is good anytime....so even if you cant get in on this promotion, not worries, because you can always do it later for this over here..."

PROSPECT " SO YOU MEAN to say that if i call you later its gonna be $X and not $X...?"

YOU " WELL I MEAN YEAH, cuz this promotion is ending, in fact, we have so many people on the waiting list, i cant guaranteed wed even have time to get you into the system before that promo ends...i mean unless of course you were taking the application right away i could put you on the waiting list for that and see if you can still get in on that.... but like i said, most people arent in position to do that... but dont get me wrong, im sure you can see why so many companies are on the waiting list for the promotion pricing...i mean its only $x to get started as opposed to $X later... so im sure you see why theres such a big response to that...PAUSE"

PROSPECT " YEAH IT SOUNDS GOOD"

YOU "YEAH, well like i said thats only if youre participating in that promotion before it ends.... i mean if you see the benefits to starting the coverage/benefits before the promotion ends and getting all the extra discounts/bonuses and taking the application today.... then what they would require is blah blah...(like your mailing address and a little bit of basic information from you)"

THIS IS WHAT I CALL BAITING THE TRAP....YOU GIVE THEM A LITTLE BAIT AND IF THEY TAKE IT, YOU CLAMP DOWN WITH A GOOD ASSUMPTIVE AND SMOOTH CLOSE SUCH AS "IN ORDER TO DO THAT PROGRAM, ALL WE WOULD NEED IS A COPY OF THE GAS BILL!!" "DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE GAS BILL?????"

IF THEY GET THE GAS BILL....YOU GOT THE SALE...

IF THEY GIVE YOU THE BASIC INFO, YOU GOT THE SALE....

IF THEY REPLY, YOU GOT THE SALE...

thats how you want it....close with statements like

YOU "well the only problem with that program is we would need a copy of a valid drivers license..."

THEM "Oh well i have that....a drivers license, i can supply that"

YOU " Oh really, ok...well then theres a chance you may still get in on it"

another example

YOU "well yeah this program is great, but its only for those with established credit that are prepared to get on the waiting list right away" ( ONLY IF YOURE SURE THEY GOT GOOD CREDIT)

THEM "WELL WE GOT GREAT CREDIT..."

YOU " OH ok well in that case if you see the benefits to the promo/discount/special then all we would need is a little basic info from you, whos name would you want to put on the application first?"

another example

YOU " Well those little discounts are great and all but thats only for people that are in position to pay using a major method of payment such as check or credit card...."

THEM "well we use credit cards..."

YOU " OH well in that case you may qualify, but in order to participate in that program I would need a little bit of basic info from you"

another example

YOU " Well that program is great and all, but were pretty much at the deadline on that and besides thats only for people that are in a position to pay cash, and not everyone is able to do that so this other program is great because you dont have to pay for a whole year up front and its just less money up front and the finance charge is low"

THEM " WELL WE ONLY PAY CASH for everything....we dont like to finance..we dont pay interest/we dont like monthly payment, we would only pay cash...YOU GOT TO HAVE SOMETHING FOR US...CASH BUYERS THAT WANT TO SIGN UP RIGHT AWAY....CAN YOU DO ANYTHING FOR PEOPLE LIKE US...WE DONT WANT TO SEE THAT OTHER PROGRAM, WE JUST WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE ONE WITH THE PROMOTION"

YOU " Oh, hmm, well ....i see, in that case i could try to get you in on the promotion pricing before its over, but, i mean, if you did participate in that promotion, how would you handle the $X?"

THEM " Well, we probably write a check/use credit card"

YOU (BLANK STUNNED, MIFFED, INNOCENT LOOK ON YOUR FACE) " Oh, ok, well then you may still have a chance to get in on that, but in order to get in on it at the lower price, I would need to have the two forms of ID including your ID #, do you have an ID # you can supply?!"

THEM " OH well we can come up with that, i have a DL and a passport."

SEE IM just giving some basics....obviously you may have to tailor these methods to your specific product....but i guarantee the fundamentals are the same....

ive lost my train of though several times throughout this posting so its a real general approach to closing...that you should be able to apply to almost any product if you can be creative enough....

you got to sit and think through each sentence, not only what youre gonna say, but how youre gonna say it...how youre inflection is gonna be....

remember you are an actor...i dont care what you say...any good salesperson is just an actor...

acting as if hes the new guy who used to work in customer service or service dept...who was brought in to help the sales dept for a couple of days because the companies getting such a huge response to your "promotions" or "programs" or whatever....

you cant wait till the "stupid" promo is over because you want a little more time off and you dont like doing sales anyway, you just want to get back to doing customer service...since you dont make much money selling these "promo packages" or whatever since the are so "low cost"..... you have no desire to even sell one to them since you are not even normally a salesperson and you dont get any significant commission anyways.....and you dont even want to sign them up cuz you kinda want to just get home, so youre really doing them a favor by signing them up now....youre gonna be the helpful service guy that goes out of his way to stay a little later that night to help them since they happen to be getting in at the "last minute" ... help them get in on a discount cuz youre one of those family oriented types that aint real crazy about the "sales people" in your company so you're almost a "rogue" employee going against the company to help out "the little guy" the customer who happened to straggle in on the car lot right before the sale ended and you just got caught up helping them.....

this is the feel you want to give to every sale.....

take away....take it or leave it...most people cant qualify for this and that.... - by coolmtn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.