Home > Personal Selling > The best way to sell knives?

The best way to sell knives?

As I am in the search of a part time sales job during school I have an opportunity to sell knives and would like a few suggestions to become better at it. Thank you for all of your input it is greatly appreciated. - by MoneyMaker
What questions would you like answered? - by Mikey
As I am in the search of a part time sales job during school I have an opportunity to sell knives and would like a few suggestions to become better at it. Thank you for all of your input it is greatly appreciated.
How are you currently going about selling knives MoneyMaker in-home demonstrations or something? - by Houston
They are in home presentations but my main source of leads will have to be by cold calling. So I need a good benefit statement to setup for the appointment and this is where I need help. Currently I do not sell the knives but am looking at it as a possible source of income during school. I feel it can also be a way to use what I have learned from reading sales books and listening to tapes, what do you all think, any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated. - by MoneyMaker
So I need a good benefit statement to setup for the appointment and this is where I need help.
To have a 'benefit statement' you must first understand what the customer values then you can show value and benefits.

Until then, you are a P.F.N. (Product Flogging Nerd) and you're not going to get the potential out of your leads. - by MrCharisma
I've never sold knives - find someone who has successfully and pick that person's brain. Everyone here has pet theories and pet experiences to draw replies from - me too. We don't always agree but that's okay too.

"My name is MitchM and I sell BestCutKnives which always stay sharp, never dull, and are guaranteed to cut through everything you want for the rest of your life Is that something you want?"

MitchM - by MitchM
MoneyMaker does the company you want to sell for give any training or suggestions about this? - by Marcus
Yeah I believe they set you up with a presentation that you can give from house to house. But they do not provide any prospects, so I was hoping to use the phone and cold call to get some appointments setup. My concern is with how I can get them excited over the phone and how to find out whether they would be interested in what I have to offer so I can setup the appointment. - by MoneyMaker
Forget about getting them excited on the phone - use a script something like this and dial up three hours a day:

"My name is MitchM and I sell BestCutKnives which always stay sharp, never dull, and are guaranteed to cut through everything you want for the rest of your life Is that something you want?"

Do I want people who want to sell stuff calling me and my family trying to get us excited about something they want to make a buck from? Hell no! I hang up and teach them to hand up.

Do I want someone respecting me in my home to make a 60 second or less offer that is clear, non emotional, and to the point AND if I say NO that person says OKAY and hangs up.

YES YES YES.

Over time if that person calls at the right time I will buy because of that mutual respect.

MitchM - by MitchM
I have sold knives!, forks, spoons, and ladles too!
Know your audience. Are you targeting Chef's or home makers?
Are you Telemarketing or boots on the street cold calling?

What are the Features and benefits of owning your products?
What makes it better than my $700 Henkle?

As a former chef I can tell you, Price is not an issue. Quality and reliability is. - by chrisr110465
Forget about getting them excited on the phone - use a script something like this and dial up three hours a day:

Do I want people who want to sell stuff calling me and my family trying to get us excited about something they want to make a buck from? Hell no! I hang up and teach them to hand up.

Do I want someone respecting me in my home to make a 60 second or less offer that is clear, non emotional, and to the point AND if I say NO that person says OKAY and hangs up.

MitchM
I disagree with mitch. Mitch focuses on HIM, not the prospect. He focuses on his knives, his warranty, and his company.

The way to sell more is to engage the prospect. If you can ask some questions to get the prospect talking, you and the prospect together (with mutual respect) can determine if there is any reason to talk further.

Excitement sells. If you can get your prospect excited by your product, you'll sell more. Not everyone will be excited, of course, and that's fine...you simply move on. But I wholeheartedly disagree with Mitch's assertion to "forget about getting them excited."

The best way to get a prospect excited is to find out what excites them. You do that by asking questions. "What kind of cooking is your favorite cooking?" "How many nights a week do you wish you had time to cook?" "Who is the chef of the family?" "Have you ever had the opportunity to handle the finest cutlery in the world?" "Would you like to try it?"

I don't know if those are the right questions or the best questions, but the concept is to respectfully engage the prospect, not try to close them in the first ten seconds of your interaction, as Mitch proposes, even though he argues against salespeople who are trying to make a buck.

As a consumer, Mitch doesn't want to get excited. But most consumers love to get excited, and if you have the right approach, and the right product, you'll do your fair share of "excitement creation" and that's a good thing for the prospect and it's a good thing for the salesperson.

Another error Mitch is making is that he is projecting HIS value system on his prospects. For him, it's okay for someone to call him at his home with a 60 second pitch for knives, but for a lot of people would find that just as offensive as any other pitch.

Mitch doesn't like emotion, so he assumes that all prospects don't like emotion. That's incorrect.

I've been doing seminars teaching a large sales group how to ask for referrals. A few of the participants have said (as they always do), "I could never do that because I don't give names of my family and friends to salespeople."

I make the point that a lot of people WILL give referrals if you just ask (in the right way). Even though YOU wouldn't, some people WILL, and that's good for business. Salespeople shouldn't project THEIR value system on their prospects.

Engage...enjoy the journey...discover...learn...have fun...be fun...be genuine and sincere...smile...ask! That's how to sell more...and to generate happier customers. - by Skip Anderson
You just continue to play an old horn, Skip, that is one note you are right, you got the real sales deal. Come on - admit that you are not a know it all - no one is that.

Emotion is great! I'm an emotional guy. But in cold calling it's a turn off - sincerity, clarity, directness is a turn on and it's because it's about the other person, not the cold caller.

Your blind spot, Skip, is that you make everything about you and a set of conclusions that are air tight and hence blind to the other person. Ironically, many will listen to you because you validate what they also see.

I know you tout yourself as an expert - and you are an expert at many things - but it's your agenda you want to overlay on everything contrary to the image you hold -- open up man and get with it.

This is greart advice Skip offers: "Engage...enjoy the journey...discover...learn...have fun...be fun...be genuine and sincere...smile...ask! That's how to sell more...and to generate happier customers."

AND that is something you can do with the script I offered believe it or not - it is 100% of the time going to be true.

I've also been training in my business for ten years and having built a million dollar business I know what I'm talking about - emotion, directness, simplicity, questions and answers all have their proper place.

MitchM - by MitchM
Emotion is great! I'm an emotional guy. But in cold calling it's a turn off - sincerity, clarity, directness is a turn on and it's because it's about the other person, not the cold caller.
Mitch, there are thousands of salespeople who successfully generate positive emotions on the phone. So if it works, how can you say it's a turn off? It's because you won't step away from your own dislike of sales techniques that work for real, successful salespeople.

Your blind spot, Skip, is that you make everything about you and a set of conclusions that are air tight and hence blind to the other person. Ironically, many will listen to you because you validate what they also see.
I disagree that I make anything about me. I'm passionate about helping people maximize their sales performance in a genuine, carefully crafted, repeatable manner. When I hear something that is contrary to what I know, then I speak out against it. I like dialog and discussion; but I think it's fair to debate the things you post here at SalesPractice as truths.

I know you tout yourself as an expert - and you are an expert at many things - but it's your agenda you want to overlay on everything contrary to the image you hold -- open up man and get with it.
I am sorry you don't care for experts. I've built my career on helping people maximize their sales performance.

I've also been training in my business for ten years and having built a million dollar business I know what I'm talking about - emotion, directness, simplicity, questions and answers all have their proper place.
Hmmm...sounds like it's all about you, Mitch!

Mitch, you sell Multi-level nutritional products part time after you retired from teaching. Perhaps that doesn't give you the breadth of expertise that you portray in this forum???

You can have the last word...I don't want to hijack this thread to turn it into a Skip vs. Mitch debate. I've said what I wanted to say...now back to selling knives! - by Skip Anderson
Mitch, you sell Multi-level nutritional products part time after you retired from teaching. Perhaps that doesn't give you the breadth of expertise that you portray in this forum???

You are off key, Skip. I don't sell "multi level" products. I work outside sales for a 20 year old food science company called Reliv selling unique nutritional products in a direct sales format - I also have used it to build a distribution network and earn over rides on multi levels of sales.

I work full time, I direct sales across the USA and in other countries, I helped open Malaysia and Singapore having lived there five months - I also helped open Bermuda. My distribution business does between $$700,000 - $1,200,000 in yearly sales.

Like everyone here I post from my experience and offer opinions on many things - I learned that from you, actually, Skip.

MitchM

- by MitchM

YES YES YES.

Over time if that person calls at the right time I will buy because of that mutual respect.

MitchM
Hello,
I'm new in sales and I'm here to learn from you guys, but I have been a consumer for a long time and I must say that I agree with MitchM on this. I agreed so much I registered just so I could give my opinion as a consumer.

I'm a busy mom of 2 and I get A LOT of solicitors knocking on my door. When they start asking me questions, trying to make me talk and connect, it makes me mad because I have no time to waste with a stranger.

MitchM is saying to pitch your sale straight and to the point and I agree. I'm sorry to say I shut doors on slow people, I've actually bought things I needed if the salesperson was upbeat and quick.
I have talked to other moms and they agree with me, we don't have time to chat with strangers at the door. Maybe that worked in the 50's when housewives were bored and lonely, today's moms are too busy for any nonsense. State your business and get moving. Please don't knock on my door and ask me questions.

Now that I'm starting my carreer in sales I wish I had been nicer to salespeople :un - by Consumer_007
I can see both points of view and I appreciate the interest in my thread thank you all for your input.thmbp2; - by MoneyMaker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.