Home > Personal Selling > The best way to sell knives?

The best way to sell knives?

As I am in the search of a part time sales job during school I have an opportunity to sell knives and would like a few suggestions to become better at it. Thank you for all of your input it is greatly appreciated. - by MoneyMaker
What questions would you like answered? - by Mikey
As I am in the search of a part time sales job during school I have an opportunity to sell knives and would like a few suggestions to become better at it. Thank you for all of your input it is greatly appreciated.
How are you currently going about selling knives MoneyMaker in-home demonstrations or something? - by Houston
They are in home presentations but my main source of leads will have to be by cold calling. So I need a good benefit statement to setup for the appointment and this is where I need help. Currently I do not sell the knives but am looking at it as a possible source of income during school. I feel it can also be a way to use what I have learned from reading sales books and listening to tapes, what do you all think, any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated. - by MoneyMaker
So I need a good benefit statement to setup for the appointment and this is where I need help.
To have a 'benefit statement' you must first understand what the customer values then you can show value and benefits.

Until then, you are a P.F.N. (Product Flogging Nerd) and you're not going to get the potential out of your leads. - by MrCharisma
I've never sold knives - find someone who has successfully and pick that person's brain. Everyone here has pet theories and pet experiences to draw replies from - me too. We don't always agree but that's okay too.

"My name is MitchM and I sell BestCutKnives which always stay sharp, never dull, and are guaranteed to cut through everything you want for the rest of your life Is that something you want?"

MitchM - by MitchM
MoneyMaker does the company you want to sell for give any training or suggestions about this? - by Marcus
Yeah I believe they set you up with a presentation that you can give from house to house. But they do not provide any prospects, so I was hoping to use the phone and cold call to get some appointments setup. My concern is with how I can get them excited over the phone and how to find out whether they would be interested in what I have to offer so I can setup the appointment. - by MoneyMaker
Forget about getting them excited on the phone - use a script something like this and dial up three hours a day:

"My name is MitchM and I sell BestCutKnives which always stay sharp, never dull, and are guaranteed to cut through everything you want for the rest of your life Is that something you want?"

Do I want people who want to sell stuff calling me and my family trying to get us excited about something they want to make a buck from? Hell no! I hang up and teach them to hand up.

Do I want someone respecting me in my home to make a 60 second or less offer that is clear, non emotional, and to the point AND if I say NO that person says OKAY and hangs up.

YES YES YES.

Over time if that person calls at the right time I will buy because of that mutual respect.

MitchM - by MitchM
I have sold knives!, forks, spoons, and ladles too!
Know your audience. Are you targeting Chef's or home makers?
Are you Telemarketing or boots on the street cold calling?

What are the Features and benefits of owning your products?
What makes it better than my $700 Henkle?

As a former chef I can tell you, Price is not an issue. Quality and reliability is. - by chrisr110465
Forget about getting them excited on the phone - use a script something like this and dial up three hours a day:

Do I want people who want to sell stuff calling me and my family trying to get us excited about something they want to make a buck from? Hell no! I hang up and teach them to hand up.

Do I want someone respecting me in my home to make a 60 second or less offer that is clear, non emotional, and to the point AND if I say NO that person says OKAY and hangs up.

MitchM
I disagree with mitch. Mitch focuses on HIM, not the prospect. He focuses on his knives, his warranty, and his company.

The way to sell more is to engage the prospect. If you can ask some questions to get the prospect talking, you and the prospect together (with mutual respect) can determine if there is any reason to talk further.

Excitement sells. If you can get your prospect excited by your product, you'll sell more. Not everyone will be excited, of course, and that's fine...you simply move on. But I wholeheartedly disagree with Mitch's assertion to "forget about getting them excited."

The best way to get a prospect excited is to find out what excites them. You do that by asking questions. "What kind of cooking is your favorite cooking?" "How many nights a week do you wish you had time to cook?" "Who is the chef of the family?" "Have you ever had the opportunity to handle the finest cutlery in the