Home > Consumer Behavior > People don't like being sold to but they like buying.

People don't like being sold to but they like buying.

Please share with the SalesPractice.com community your opinion on whether or not the statement, "People don't like being sold to but they like buying" is true or false. - by Admin-Asst
The act of buying is scary not enjoyable for most people. - by Houston
This is very true...

To counter the feeling, during my recommend stage, I say;

"Based on what you've told me ________________"

This gives the customer an empowering feeling and if what I say doesn't hit the nail on the head, it's because of what they've told me.

In saying that, you need to ask a lot of open questions and clarifying. - by MrCharisma
You can spin an answer anyway with that question so I don't know the answer.

People like getting what they want.

MitchM - by MitchM
The act of buying is scary not enjoyable for most people.
People love to shop but hate to buy!!! - by Bulldog
Experienced salespeople will understand this time-tested saying, meaning people (prospects) don't like to be sold (told what to buy), but they like buying (filling a need or solving a problem). If I go to a prospect with "commission eyes," meaning they can tell I'm there to 'sell,' they're put up a mental barrier. BUT...if I'm there to discuss their wants, needs or even desires (or can position what I'm selling in a way that benefits them, not me), they'll feel good about having that need or desire filled. - by Joe Guertin
The answer depends upon one's definition of what "being sold" is. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.