Home > Personal Selling > Out of town buyers having friends look at homes.

Out of town buyers having friends look at homes.

Out of town buyers have friends in the area and ask those friends to look at homes they see advertised. I was talking to one of those friends this morning and told her I'd like to talk with or at least exchange emails with the buyer so I could get an understand of the buyers wants and needs. The friend wasn't happy about that and said she could answer the questions but just wanted me to show her the homes they asked about. I asked her a few questions like what are their basic requirements and it turns out that a couple of the homes weren't even in the right area. The friend asked to see the other homes and I stood my ground and said before I would show her homes I would need to talk with the Buyer. I did the right thing right? - by Thomas
Thomas,
Of course you did the right thing ... unless you want to be an unpaid tour guide and have a free gas card.
Some questions you could ask (or could have asked) : When do your friends have to move? Do they own a home now? Is it listed now? What happens if they find a home here before their home sells, what will they do? Do they need the money (equity) from their present home to buy their next home? If you take the friend out a find a perfect home for the people moving into town, is the friend prepared to make an offer?
The point is: you are a professional. You can't work that way and it is unreasonable for you to put in time, effort and expense without a reasonable expectation of getting compensated. - by Jerry Bresser
Thomas
I agree with Jerry about the types of questions you should be asking and that you want to talk to the buyer directly prior to spending time. However, it wasn't that issue that concerned me as much as the tone of your question. If you used that tone with the friend, I suspect she has gone to someone else and the buyer will as well.

By telling her you will be happy to show her the houses, but need some additional information first, and presenting Jerry's questions, I doubt she would be able to answer them. If she can, I would show her the houses. She obviously knows her friend's situation quite well.

Of course she may not know the answers and still be unwillling to call her friend just to get you to show her the houses. If that's the case, I wouldn't waste my time, but would try to leave on a good note in case her friends wants to ultimately use you.
Gerry - by GerryMyers
Here is one way to approach these situations...

"Absolutely! I'll be happy to show you those homes. All I'll need is the buyer's phone number and name so I can chat with her a bit, and then we'll go ahead and proceed. What's the buyer's name? And their phone number is....?"

Notice that this approach is very assumptive, not confrontational. Now if they refused, then you'd have to resort to questions.

Basically, I agree that you handled the situation correctly.

I love Jerry's questions. ;sm - by Skip Anderson
Thank You Jerry and Skip. I feel much better about my decision.

By telling her you will be happy to show her the houses, but need some additional information first, and presenting Jerry's questions, I doubt she would be able to answer them. If she can, I would show her the houses. She obviously knows her friend's situation quite well.
Thank you Gerry. I hope my tone didn't come across wrong in my post. Assuming that my tone was good on the phone when I talked with the buyer's friend it didn't make sense for me to show the friend even if she did have answers to the questions I had for the buyers because she wasn't the buyer. - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.