Home > Management > I need people!

I need people!

I am a sales manager at an insurance and financial services group. I have been in the seat for a little over a year and have never really had a problem with turnover. Lately however, I have lost 2 people rather quickly and have no prospects ready to fill their seats. I currently have 3 accounts that need sales reps to manage them ASAP, my income and the clients on those open accounts are suffering with no reps assigned to them.

My question is simple, how can I recruit quality sales reps to work? I am not originally from the area I am living so I have almost no natural market to pull from. I have tried calling good clients of mine to ask for referrals, I am tried talking to people that currently work in sales for other industrys, but I am having no success. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. - by tdwebb
One thought that pops into my head.... how did you decide to leave your pipeline empty? That then makes me wonder if the salespeople who left you did the same thing... their pipeline dried up and they sought greener pastures. It might make sense to examine your sales and lead generation process to make sure it is well oiled. If it is not, salespeople will probably shun your opportunity. Further, you may want to begin "digging your well before you are thirsty" and build a pipeline of prospective agents. Until then, why not take over the accounts you are concerned about yourself.

One final thought. You might do some research on the topic of "how to attract and hire your next sales superstar." Then place ads on craigslist etc. to find them. - by jdedwa11
One thought - offer a reasonable base + commission/bonus. If you're only paying draw or straight commission, you'll be recruiting constantly. I'm sure you believe there is great money to be made in your organization; if that's true, then your company should be able to afford to pay the base and invest in your employee. - by Ms.Sales
I am a sales manager at an insurance and financial services group. I have been in the seat for a little over a year and have never really had a problem with turnover. Lately however, I have lost 2 people rather quickly and have no prospects ready to fill their seats. I currently have 3 accounts that need sales reps to manage them ASAP, my income and the clients on those open accounts are suffering with no reps assigned to them.

My question is simple, how can I recruit quality sales reps to work? I am not originally from the area I am living so I have almost no natural market to pull from. I have tried calling good clients of mine to ask for referrals, I am tried talking to people that currently work in sales for other industrys, but I am having no success. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
Well I'd go two steps further than what's already been offered... one would be to join NAIFA, National Association of Insurance and Finacial Advisors, NALU, National Association Life Underwriters (local chapters) and get your message out. Usually people move around because they've been proselytized, so to speak, but new agents are also looking around for the right opportunities.

Much Aloha... Tom shds; ;bg - by rattus58
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.