Home > Personal Development > Your learning strategy

Your learning strategy

Do you have a learning strategy?

What I mean is: how do you select the books, audio tapes, training and seminar that will give you the highest return on investment (time & money) in the short and long term ?

How do you categorize and organize the knowledge that you need for your career & personal life ?

How do you manage your "educational time" versus "work time" ?

How much do you think someone should commit in self-education (financially and hourly).

I ask this question because I'm certainly commited to self-development but I feel that I can get confused or overwhelmed by the information I'm absorbing. My educational priorities also seems to change every times... - by RyanH
Every book I've bought over the last 5 years was based on a recommendation. I don't manage my educational vs work time well at all. I need to work more. - by Mikey
What I mean is: how do you select the books, audio tapes, training and seminar that will give you the highest return on investment (time & money) in the short and long term?

People recommend things, I find things, I get into what immediately makes an impact on me and compels me to read or watch or listen to it.

How do you categorize and organize the knowledge that you need for your career & personal life?

I don't! I never have done that. I integrate it!

How do you manage your "educational time" versus "work time"?

I've never looked at it as managing it. When I have time which is every day I study.

How much do you think someone should commit in self-education (financially and hourly).

Financially is up to you. Commit an hour or two daily.

Study has been from the start a way of life for me - make it a way of life for you.
MitchM

- by MitchM
When I find a subject I want to read about, I like to find more than one book or source. Having more than one point of view gives me a more rounded 'education' on the subject I feel.

To do this:

I google the word I want to learn about, sometimes including the word 'forum'. I go to a minimum of 10 websites/forums that have a recommended reading list and print them out. I look for books that appear on most of them. These, to me, are the "must haves" of the subject.

So far, I have done this with the subjects:

Sales
Persuasion(Social Engineering)
Hypnosis
NLP
Learning(my personal favorite subject) - by hastur
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.