Home > Education > The new era of selling

The new era of selling

Hi
We all know how marketing has replaced selling and we talk about placing the marketing in each department of the organisation.
But the point to ponder is that what ever may be the situation without a effecient sales department you can not expect to compete and grow.
Accept it or not selling is the most important part of the organisations and if we observe it is clearly to identify that each department have a kind of selling to internal and external customers.

So time has arrived that we recognise the importance of developing a selling culture in an organisation instead of giving the selling a secondry treatment.
SO lets lets be torchbearers in the dawn of new era of selling.

What are your views fourm mates. Shouldnt we raise this issue through this forum.

Prakhar Gupta - by prakhar_nirma
I didn't know Marketing had replaced Selling. I know some companies have tried that and are reaping the harvest, or lack of. I love coming into a new company with my books, CD's and links. It takes about 2 weeks before all the other (so called) salesman are crawling over my desk to find my secret. As much as I share these books, CD's and Links they never investigate them. Yet they wonder why I am successful.

Selling is a skill and takes hard work (yet fun work). I wish more people in the sales profession knew this. - by Landisintaiwan
Hi
I think am writing to a person with a natural flare for sales. good to meet you.
What i want to say is that we have to be focused on convergence of selling and marketing instead of practicing them at college.
College, Wow that was a long time ago. But I didn't learn Sales there. Well, guess I learned while working my way threw college.

I wish I could remember where I read the article so I could post it, and if anyone knows it then please post. It was an article about the shrinking number of true salespeople in the workforce of today and how their value will increase. - by Landisintaiwan
I want to use this form as to forward my point that SELLING can not seperated from the other marketing activities of an organisation, be it branding, advertisements, promotional offers the view i wnat to put forward is that selling is effective when run in consonance of overall practices.
By just giving the target and no promotion vice versa is not going to help reap rich dividends from the selling.
But once again, you are saying that selling is simply a part of marketing. In your methodology, my work would be a failure. I spend several hours a day prospecting raw leads. No Marketing involved, other than a well designed (questionable) e-mail to grab interest. Using the 80/20 rule, which for my market seems more like 99.8/0.2 rule lol, I find a few true prospect a week. I prefer to think of marketing as part of selling, not as you have stated it, sales being a part of marketing.

But rest assured, I will allow you to continue with this thread and state your point. There are many ways to the top of the mountian and if you have found your way to be successful, I will enjoy hearing about it. - by Landisintaiwan
But once again, you are saying that selling is simply a part of marketing.
Isn't selling a function/aspect of marketing? - by AZBroker
I find that u feel offended in no way i want to disgrace the work done by you, and secondly i dont know in which field you are in and you work independently or for an organisation.

The fact i want to say is that in an organisation should have the convergence of marketing and sales.
they are compimentry to each other none can be taken for granted but at present the sales is given secondry treatment. Focus is on giving the target not bringing it in synergy with the final goal of the organisation.
[quote=Landisintaiwan] I prefer to think of marketing as part of selling, not as you have stated it, sales being a part of marketing.
QUOTE]
I am in agreement with that with the following caveats. First, in common usage, the terms sometimes refer to activities that could be inserted in either area--sales or marketing. Cold call prospecting is an example. Second, we have to be cautious of a misunderstanding because of a semantics issue. Third, I think prakhar's posts are to promote the value of sales. I certainly will say that selling is the most important skill in business. - by Gary Boye
I prefer to think of marketing as part of selling, not as you have stated it, sales being a part of marketing.
I agree with this statement. The main goal is always to sell your product or service, marketing is one aspect that helps you to do that. - by Doc MC
Am happy that you got the point i want to put forward i.e SELLING should be given the equal importance as other aspects.
Now when we agree on this what can be the means at what should be our approach.
I want to start this discussion on this.
So forum friends pour in your views and ideas
Am happy that you got the point i want to put forward i.e SELLING should be given the equal importance as other aspects.
Now when we agree on this what can be the means at what should be our approach.
What are you seeing that causes you to feel that selling isn't given equal importance as marketing? - by Agent Smith
Happy to see you join this forum.
Friend when we look how the organisation go for SALES departmen:
1.They have to do the selling but very rare they are in the decision making place for advertisements and promotional plans.
2.Empowerment of the sales person for decision making according to the need of the region or the area and the consumer demand.
3.Training based on reaction rather on a proactive action.
4.When we talk about branding why dont we also work on improving the SALES deparment of an organisation(Well it will be the last one.)

I feel i have answered your question.
Do answer so that we can carry the view ahead
1.They have to do the selling but very rare they are in the decision making place for advertisements and promotional plans.
Are you referring to the sales "people" or the sales "department"?
2.Empowerment of the sales person for decision making according to the need of the region or the area and the consumer demand.
Within limits I agree.
Can you explain what you mean?
4.When we talk about branding why dont we also work on improving the SALES deparment of an organisation(Well it will be the last one.)
How are you relating the two concepts? - by Agent Smith
Starting with the first one what i mean is:
Organisations do advertising and promotions for what, to increase the sales.
But then why not the sales head in organisation not involved in the decision making of advertisement and promotional plans. I think you will agree that these are the sales people who are closest to the consumer so they can give the best possible insight when we are planning for advertisements or promotional plans.
But then why not the sales head in organisation not involved in the decision making of advertisement and promotional plans.
I think this "does" happen with many companies especially small businesses. - by Agent Smith
Now about branding vs selling we build brands but what about selling. Isnt it is important to put the selling as our core value NEVER!!!!

Now about branding vs selling we build brands but what about selling. Isnt it is important to put the selling as our core value NEVER!!!!
I'm not understanding your point. Can you explain what you mean? - by Agent Smith

Prakhar Gupta
Specifically what actions would constitute putting selling as (our) core value? Second question: After those recommended specific actions were taken, what would be the effect that you perceive?

Also, I don't understand the connection between branding and a perceived undervalued sales force. Could you explain? - by Gary Boye
Prakhar Gupta
I think you need a new trainer. Salespeople should always be proactive. Reactive Sales People tend to sit all day waiting for a prospect to contact them.. lol Or for customers to solve their own problems..lol Or my favorite, waiting for orders to come out of thin air...lol

This is a pretty good thread. - by Landisintaiwan
Thankx for the immense response being shown by you all. I will do my best to explain my points.
Here the question is being raised on two points:
  1. Selling in core values of the organisation.
  2. Branding and Selling.
The first one, i propose to have selling being developed as one of the core function of the organisation. The reason for this is:
  1. Sales people know the best about the product as they regularly take the consumer feedback.
  2. They continuously keep on working to increase the bottom line,come whatever they always take the increased target from the past.
  3. They know the consumer best.
  4. As they interact with other companys sales staff they also come to know what competitor is planning to do.
Now about the Branding aspect, the sales department or the sales force is just a silent observer to the positioning and branding strategies being developed. Its the sales people who are going to carry this to consumers, and in light of the above reasons, shouldnt the sales be involved in branding aspect.
Continuing, has any organisation till now proposed SALES as their positioning proposition? WHY NOT!!!!

What i look to achieve by getting the sales the deserved satus is recognition that we, the sales people, are the crux of the recognition involve us or wane out.
waiting for responses
The first one, i propose to have selling being developed as one of the core function of the organisation. The reason for this is:
  1. Sales people know the best about the product as they regularly take the consumer feedback.
  2. They continuously keep on working to increase the bottom line,come whatever they always take the increased target from the past.
  3. They know the consumer best.
  4. As they interact with other companys sales staff they also come to know what competitor is planning to do.
In practice I'm not convinced that these points are accurate.

Now about the Branding aspect, the sales department or the sales force is just a silent observer to the positioning and branding strategies being developed. Its the sales people who are going to carry this to consumers, and in light of the above reasons, shouldnt the sales be involved in branding aspect.
If "Branding" is about product/service image and association, outside of customary and standard pratices (customer service, professionalism, etc.) how would you suggest the "sales" be involved in the branding aspect?

Continuing, has any organisation till now proposed SALES as their positioning proposition? WHY NOT!!!!
If "Positioning" is a consumer perception how would you suggest sales be used as a "positioning proposition"?

What i look to achieve by getting the sales the deserved satus is recognition that we, the sales people, are the crux of the recognition involve us or wane out.
Sales people are valuable to an organization. How valuable? Who or which department is most important? Those questions might be best answered by the individual organizations. ;) - by SalesGuy
....waiting for responses
Prakhar Gupta
Prakhar, I don't necessarily agree with your premises. What I do get from your posts is that you would like to see salespeople get more recognition and be given more leadership roles.

The ideal, I believe, is for those things to happen on the basis of merit and qualifications. There are many CEOs of companies who have risen through the sales ranks, so that type of occurence does happen. - by Gary Boye
Hi,Forum mates
Firstly sorry for being late.
Now, it depends how we look at the matter but in the end our aim is one to provide the much deserved position to the sales department.
Yeah there are number of organisations where the chief has raised to the position from the sales field. And this is the matter of pride this makes our job easy but the end which i want to propose doesnt stop here. sales is to become the central department which derives and supplies information to other deparments in the organisation.
Branding vs Selling
I find that most of the forum mates can not digest the fact that selling can be used for branding and this fear that it is not possible is to be over come.
I will collect my thoughts and come back on this forum in a moment.
Looking for your feedback.
Hi,Forum mates
sales is to become the central department which derives and supplies information to other deparments in the organisation.
That implies the sales "department" assuming a significant leadership and management role in the company.

It is not farfetched. For instance, the "owner" or CEO roles in a company are not necessarily defined by the titles. I know owner/presidents of companies who concentrate most of their personal efforts on inventory control. Others who spend most of their time on the accounting aspect. Others who lead the marketing for their company. Some who concentrate entirely on overseeing production. And--some who are the main force in conducting the sales and sale management of the company.

What you are looking for already exists in some companies. But it depends on the leadership and personel make-up of a company whether or not certain areas like branding and marketing would be assigned to "salespeople".

Is this the the kind of feedback that you want on this thread? - by Gary Boye
I find that most of the forum mates can not digest the fact that selling can be used for branding and this fear that it is not possible is to be over come.
How are you defining "Branding" and how do you propose using "selling" for branding? - by SalesGuy

The main goal is always to *sell* your product or service and marketing is one aspect that helps you to achive that - by Sanddollar
In practice I'm not convinced that these points are accurate.
Sales people are valuable to an organization. How valuable? Who or which department is most important? Those questions might be best answered by the individual organizations. ;)
Nice answer SalesGuy,

I think as a company evolves, so does its emphasis and segregation of responsibilities.

Which function is more important, Sales or Marketing? It depends on where the company is looking to spend money at that particular stage in their development. - by ginoayn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.