Home > Technology > Do you believe in investing in a high quality website?

Do you believe in investing in a high quality website?

Is it unfair to expect that sales trainers would understand the importance of projecting a positive and capable image in all of their marketing tools to include websites?

What message does a lousy websites or blog send to your potential customers? - by Bulldog
Is it unfair to expect that sales trainers would understand the importance of projecting a positive and capable image in all of their marketing tools to include websites?
Why are you only asking about sales trainers? All businesses would be best served to have this understanding.

What message does a lousy websites or blog send to your potential customers?
Obviously this sends the wrong message. - by Houston
I am actually a freelance web developer, and I am amazed at the number of businesspeople who let their nephew design their website. Would they let him design their print material? I think there is still a great deal of misunderstanding about the web, especially among small business people. - by ditch182
I am actually a freelance web developer, and I am amazed at the number of businesspeople who let their nephew design their website. Would they let him design their print material? I think there is still a great deal of misunderstanding about the web, especially among small business people.
It IS amazing! I have visited websites of some high-profile people to include a few sales trainers and these sites left a lot to be desired. I decided that if these people didn't understand the value of a professional online presence or couldn't afford a professional website then they most likely didn't have anything I would want to pay for. I think of it as a filter and they don't make it through that filter. ;wi - by Liberty
I am actually a freelance web developer, and I am amazed at the number of businesspeople who let their nephew design their website. Would they let him design their print material? I think there is still a great deal of misunderstanding about the web, especially among small business people.
Here is what is even more amazing;

There are web designers who have never made money in direct marketing, which is what the primary function of a website is, to sell direct to a prospect or customer, even if it only "sells" the next step. And business people listen to them and follow their advice.

To me, a web designer is an electronic artist, I have great respect for them. I would not ask their advice on ad copy or marketing though, not unless they could show me how they personally earned the big bucks online.

In my case, knowing nothing about the web, I built 44,000 subscribers to my e-zine by 1999. Why? I know sales and I also know direct marketing.

The great majority of web designers know neither. And that is why I recommend that they get advice from two parties, a web designer about the look and feel of a web page/site and a marketing master who really knows how to maximize value.

I can givbe a really strong example of this.

http://www.paradisorestaurant.com/oakville.html

Good looking site. I doubt it was done by a nephew. But the issue is that the main marketing function - what gives the site owner value - is buried on page 7 of this site (the 7th button down), which is the sign up for the newsletter.

My redesign (from a marketing and sales standpoint) would be a coupon on page one, that automatically got a recipe a month sent out. This would then be repeated as an AD on each page.

And, the wine list, this is silly. As wine lists change. Unless it is dynamically generated from a user interface ...

But the lack of marketing is stupendous - stupefying. Whatever word you want to use ... and since I have eaten there many times, I call tell you they do not understand how to market to drive people to the site either.

I met a woman this morning quite by accident ... she owns Shutters Unlimited. After leaving the bagel shop I came to my home office and looked her up, as neither of us had business cards, we could not exchange info. What I found surprised me.

This is an example of a site that was made by a nephew (or by themselves) ... but keep in mind, not only does it look bad, it does not perform the required marketing function either!

http://www.shutters.on.ca/

I would provide examples of different things that can be done. But what you cannot see is the system behind the website. The marketing tools that go with them.

And, in this case, there is more than meets the eye.

Where most web designers fail is no ongoing revenue stream. They cannot really provide a way for the site owner to keep giving them work because they don't know how, they lack the savvy that direct marketers have.

I guess what I am getting at is that you should spend money on marketing, as long as you are spending it with someone who can show you how to get a return. Or use a team approach, as web designer and a direct marketer.

A decent site is not all that expensive ... it may only cost $1500 to $5000. I have a solution with a site and a system included for only $1,495 ... !

And, one more thing, in many cases I would advise a sales person to have their own website. Even though they recommend a company's products that have their own site. why/ That company may not understand the needs or their prospects ... the sales person can stand out in his employ by getting this. But that is another topic. - by Gold Calling
Not all businesses need web presence. So no need to quote any examples, you don't need to get a proper website designed and maintained by a professional every time you are starting some business. - by ryanair
I so much agree with you! And the worse of all is when some one does not know where his place is in this world. I have come across many clients over the last 3 years that I begun to work on my own and one thing I know itís a waste of time is dealing with customers that think they can design a website. As a result, you become their mouse at their hands and the product is nothing but a childís play ground.

All I can say is let the professional make the suggestions, they know better.

- by designed
Well said Gold Calling. I used to be paranoid about my websites. Everyone elses seemed to be so ...pretty?

Then I spoke to designers and webmasters and found out they hardly ever made websites that produced decent revenues.

They are also very often reluctant to talk about conversion rates and that is always a dead giveaway. Many thanks for your elegant response I am sure it will help many others. - by helisell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.