Home > Personal Selling > Is attending college sales training classes the better option?

Is attending college sales training classes the better option?

There are colleges that offer sales training classes. Do you think this is a better option that sales training by Dale Carnegie or Sandler? What do you think the difference is between them?

Some people say sales training doesn't work because of work atmosphere and lack of application. Does this mean that taking sales training classes at school would be a waste? - by Seth
Seth:

Great questions and there are several ways to look at this. Before I started my business my training came from Dale Carnegie. I believed at the time that they had the best foundation and the best methods.

There are a few things to be concerned with on sales training.Most organizations are in it for the money and not the results. Your investigation should provide you with some return on your investment when completed. Further too many sales training companies sell services as an event. Sales training is a process learned in the fieid and through an array of practicum not solely classroom lecture.

Second, many training companies use trainers not selling professionals. You are best off learning from someone who has been there and done that, sales training cannot be learned from someone that is "certified" and read the syllabus from a book.

As far as training from a university, there are 14 colleges that sponsor sales training and sales management certification throughout the United States. While I advocate this method for many reasons, I have not attended one for a fair judgment. Some of these courses are taught by academicians and some are taught by adjuncts that have sales consulting companies. My experience is limited here and I am not certain if these courses are more theory than practicum.

My suggestions do not make a haste decision and take the time to investigate. When you get ready to make the decision ensure that you will receive a return on your investment. Last, as you finalize your efforts take note of your processes and decision desire, you exemplify how people might purchase from you, use this as your avatar when you close deals.

Good Selling.

Drew Stevens
Drew Stevens Consulting - by Drew Stevens
Some people say sales training doesn't work because of work atmosphere and lack of application. Does this mean that taking sales training classes at school would be a waste?
This is a firecracker of a question! thmbp2;

Personally I would say that for education purposes college sales training classes are as good or better than most sales training programs you are going to find on the open market. - by Houston
There are colleges that offer sales training classes. Do you think this is a better option that sales training by Dale Carnegie or Sandler? What do you think the difference is between them?

Some people say sales training doesn't work because of work atmosphere and lack of application. Does this mean that taking sales training classes at school would be a waste?
Training and education are not always the same thing. Make sure you get to practice what you're being taught.

Not having participated in any Sandler training I don't know enough to have an opinion on which is better. - by Bulldog

Is Dale Carnegie or Sandler training in a classroom or in the field? - by Marcus

Everyone you speak to will have a bias this way or that as to whether one trainer or approach is better or worse than another. What is quite definite, is that sales training is essential. "Winging it" will not work.

Naturally a training environment is different to the real world, however both training and experience are needed. Ideally a trainer should have sales experience. With many sales training companies such as Miller Heinman (I'm not affiliated with this company but I do know of them), the training sales people also carry out the training.

Don't forget online sales training ... it can be very cost effective and productive.

In summary, sales training is definitely not a waste of time. - by TonyB
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.