Home > Personal Development > Common causes for lackluster sales performance

Common causes for lackluster sales performance

Is there any pattern or common problems you see that account for lackluster sales performance from salespeople like not getting out from behind busy work and making calls? - by Slick
There are only two reasons that I notice in my experience it is either boredom or apathy. The first stems from selling professionals that conduct repetitive tasks. Selling professionals desire variety, monotony is not the root for success. The second stems from apathy in product or service and this is from hiring. in order to create a consistent performer hire right, set reasonable but competitive goals and constantly offer variety.

Good Selling.

Drew - by Drew Stevens
In my opinion, the most common cause for lackluster sales performance is not doing the correct sales behaviors. If you want a certain result, you have utilize the sales behaviors that will get you to achieve those results.

Whether it's due to lack of knowledge, poor attitude, laziness, or something else, not utilizing the correct sales behaviors will limit a salesperson's sales effectiveness.

A "correct sales behavior" can be anything from something simple like "smile at the customer" to something like "handle your objections properly" to "make x number of calls per day."

Skip Anderson - by Skip Anderson
Is there any pattern or common problems you see that account for lackluster sales performance from salespeople like not getting out from behind busy work and making calls?
One pattern is the lack of belief which then feeds inactivity. Procrastination pattern.

Another pattern is acting on the right activities when you are feeling less than confident, or other positive feelings. Sabotage pattern.

In 30 years of sales I can say when I fall into either of these traps, these common patterns, then my sales suffer. - by patweber
Slick, with 30+ years "under-the-belt", I can agree with all of the statements above BUT sometimes the SM/company must look in the mirror: lacklustre performance is frequently a function of motivation which doesn't always come from within.

I've seen top performers fade and I've seen rising newbies fumble, so, it isn't a simple matter for the individual SR to resolve. Good sales management implies:
1. seeing the performance starting to slide (managing the forecast fastidiously, sensing the morale of each SR on the team, etc.); and,
2. working with the SR to identify the source of the concern (eg. 2-man calls to "see for yourself" what's up); and,
3. encouraging the team to work together as they see their peers stumble (there's nothing like 2-man calls with your fellow SR's to get you out of the dumps);

At times, the performance issue is out of the SRs' hands:
1. a function of compensation or spiff's/incentives (where motivation issues arise when SR's believe their comp was incorrect: and,
2. team morale issues are created when marketing launches poorly conceived contests; and,
3. where marketing isn't in tune with the competitive environment; and,
4. where career path is talked about but not realistically attainable;

I hope the above helps ...

Good luck & Good selling!
Pat - by OUTSource Sales
Is there any pattern or common problems you see that account for lackluster sales performance from salespeople like not getting out from behind busy work and making calls?
It has been my experience that many times the activities required within the job description are not directly aligned with the SR's perception of success. If a sales professional can't draw a straight line between activities and compensation, or promotion they will typically avoid or neglect it. An example being activity reports that simply become tasks as opposed to being tools. Many reps become very good report creators, and very poor producers. In the reps perception the report satisfies the job requirement, the content of which becomes secondary. This leads to a disconnect in income, or frustration among peers who are doing the real job but not being recognized as the truth isn't quite as appealing as the creative reporting. - by rjakini
That is a lot to chew on. Thank you everyone for the insight. I'm very impressed. thmbp2; - by Slick
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.