Home > Personal Development > Procrastination in Calling Customer

Procrastination in Calling Customer

Dear Sales Expert,

I would like to ask for your advice on my procrastination in calling customer. Why i procrastinate? Every time i am about to call customer, i need to think alot: gathering all the subjects related (to avoid calling many times), how to say it (wording). I want to give good impression every time they receive my call, as if the impression is not positive, it will be negative (credit deduction); it can not be neutral. I have to prepare alot, as m thinking of what are the questions customers might ask and how to respond to challenge from customers. Pls help me to deal with my procrastination in calling customers. Thanks in advace.

Best Regards, - by Angelic
Angelic,

You're correct to be concerned about the wording of your calls. So spend an hour or two fine-tuning your "script". But when you're done...it's time to hit the phones.

Set a goal for yourself: X number of calls in one hour, or in one day. Reward yourself for making your goal (pick a meaningful reward for you).

It sounds like you have some anxiety about calling, which isn't uncommon. But you have to have positive self-talk to overcome that anxiety and get the job done. No call will be perfect, so don't try to be perfect. Try to be excellent instead of perfect.

If you make your calls, you'll improve. So you've just got to do it. Don't let your anxiety control you...you control it by picking up the phone and dialing.

After a week of meeting your goals, revise your script, see what you've learned, then set a new set of goals for the next week.

The best to you,

Skip - by Skip Anderson
Dear Sales Expert,

I would like to ask for your advice on my procrastination in calling customer. Why i procrastinate? Every time i am about to call customer, i need to think alot: gathering all the subjects related (to avoid calling many times), how to say it (wording). I want to give good impression every time they receive my call, as if the impression is not positive, it will be negative (credit deduction); it can not be neutral. I have to prepare alot, as m thinking of what are the questions customers might ask and how to respond to challenge from customers. Pls help me to deal with my procrastination in calling customers. Thanks in advace.

Best Regards,
Angelic, planning is a productive thing. I believe Brian Tracy is credited with finding that 10 minutes of planning saves 100 minutes of doing. From your description of procrastination, it seems that you may want to consider altering some of the planning.

For example, an overall script in mind to talk through with every customer would allow you to then plan for more productive activities, such as the actual call to the customer!

We ALL procrastinate at one time or another so you do have lots of company. Have you ever found that procrastinating causes the activity to move off your to-do list? Not highly likely. It is a trap to avoid.

First admit it Angelic! Your rationalizing it will keep you stuck. I realize there is some substance to your rationalization. Just remember no matter how much you plan, there's going to be some risk on the call.

Then decide what causes you to procrastinate? Fear of an unpleasant rejection? Too difficult to put the task in action? The calling will ask for you to make tough decisions?

Well; if you admit and identify YOUR reasons now you can: get started and then keep going.

If promises to yourself don't work, then promise someone else that you are going to make X calls for Y days. And when you do it, CELEBRATE and even reward yourself.

Is this helpful? - by patweber
Dear Sales Expert,

Best Regards,
Angelic,

Skip and Pat have offered some excellent advice; I'd like to add this: do you believe in the product or service you are trying to sell? Does it have the potential to benefit the person you are calling?

If so, then it is your obligation to call that person and tell them about it! If you don't call, you are keeping that person from finding out about a product or service that can improve their business or their life. And if you keep that in mind, if it is the last thought you have as you dial the phone, I believe all of your preparation will kick in, you will know what to say, you will be able to answer their questions smoothly and satisfy their objections.

You'll be great! sn;

(If you don't believe it what you are selling -- you need to find something else to sell, that you DO believe in!)

In prosperous harmony,
Terri Z
- by Terri Zwierzynski
Dear Sales Expert,

Best Regards,
Definition of Procrastination: Procrastination is a type of behavior which is characterized by deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision.

To adequately begin to deal with overcoming the procastination (which is a behavior that results in delaying an activity), you need to figure out WHY it happens. What exactly is your anxiety coming from?

You don't say whether you are calling on current customers who you already have a business relationship that you earn revenue from; or are you prospecting for new clients via many sources and uncomfortable with those types of calls .

There is an expression "Feel the fear, and do it anyway".

Are you anxious that a current customer will bring up a problem you weren't aware of when you call them to reorder, or seek out a referral, or for some other reason"?

Are you afraid to make cold calls, because you struggle getting past the gatekeeper and feel inadequate in your job?

Are you uncomfortable calling on high level people in organizations who are the decision makers, because of the rejection involved IF you get to them?

Before you can decide on a strategy for helping yourself, you have to identify WHAT is causing the real issue, that creates the procrastinating behavior.

Do you like the income you have? If you don't, you will be more likely to 'dig deep to learn' what it is that is really bothering you, so you can find a mentor, or trainer to help you with it.

But to fix the real problem, you have to identify what the problem is....the end result is the procrastination. - by Paulette Halpern
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.