Hunger

What is a good way to keep your sales people hungry for sales? How do you keep yourself hungry for sales? - by Andrea
All of us (salespeople included) work for our own reasons.

To generalize and say "it's all about the commission" is a dangerous gambit.

Sure, for the majority it IS about the commission, the cheese, the coin...but there comes a time when money is no longer the driver.

Once a sales rep slips into a comfortable income based on a solid book of business, other less obvious but important factors come into play.

Some love the recognition of their peers and managers. Others appreciate being the "go to guy or girl" for the newbies. I've known some who simply love the chase or the thrill of bagging the impossible deal.

A rep is either "hungry" or they're not. A unmotivated rep who sits around figuratively patting their belly, satisfied by past accomplishments and a fat pay cheque needs to be taken aside and met with one-on-one.

The managers' job at that point is to identify the triggers that the rep can use personally to motivate them to get back into the game because a complacent attitude can quickly poison the team. - by SpeakerTeacher
What is a good way to keep your sales people hungry for sales?
Find out what they want and show them how closing sales will help them get it. thmbp2; - by Liberty
Find out what they want and show them how closing sales will help them get it. thmbp2;
Interestingly enough that never worked with me... in my early years my boss asked us what we wanted... I said a nice car. So he made me put a pic of this nice car and said that I should work towards it....

It didn't work for me as I couldn't connect that to daily motivation as a car seemed like a far off reward... - by Andrea
Interestingly enough that never worked with me... in my early years my boss asked us what we wanted... I said a nice car. So he made me put a pic of this nice car and said that I should work towards it....

It didn't work for me as I couldn't connect that to daily motivation as a car seemed like a far off reward...
I think if somebody really wanted (motivated to act now) something and somebody else showed them a way to get it, and they bought into the idea, they would take action. - by Seth
IMO and in my experience a sales manager must be aware of the personal and professional goals of each team member.

Once these are known, the manager can tie the corporate or territory goals to the personal goals of the sales rep.

I.E. ...Not only will you be successful at our company but you will be able to invest the commissions in a new house, college fund, new car, new boat, private school for kids, become debt free, stocks to become millionaire by age 40 or whatever applies to the personal motivation of the sales rep.

I love sales but I don't work just for working. All things being equal golf or white sand between my toes sounds much better than work.thmbp2;

LH - by Sell4alivn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.