Home > Personal Selling > Is it Ever Okay to Be Pushy?

Is it Ever Okay to Be Pushy?

Here's a question to ponder and then share your thoughts with the salespractice community:

Is it ever okay for a sales person to be pushy? If so, when? If not, why not?

Is "okay" defined by whether it works or not, or some principle of ethics? If so, what is that principle?

Your thoughts? - by Skip Anderson
What qualifies as pushy? - by Liberty
What qualifies as pushy?
Good question, Liberty. So how about if we use this pushy = aggressiveness (as opposed to assertiveness). - by Skip Anderson
Good question, Liberty. So how about if we use this pushy = aggressiveness (as opposed to assertiveness).
As long as you are dealing fairly and honestly with your customers I don't see this as an ethics issue however you are not likely to win many friends or influence many people acting pushy (overly aggressive/overly assertive). - by Liberty
As long as you are dealing fairly and honestly with your customers I don't see this as an ethics issue however you are not likely to win many friends or influence many people acting pushy (overly aggressive/overly assertive).
Some salespeople are pushy because it apparently works for them, so I agree they might not win many friends being pushy, but they may indeed influence many people by acting pushy if that pushiness creates buying customers.

But this thread really isn't about if pushiness is effective in selling, but rather, "is it okay to be pushy?" Does pushiness break some unwritten rule about right vs. wrong, or ethical vs. unethical?

So, as a salesperson, do you think it's okay to be pushy? If you were a sales manager or business managing a sales team, would it be okay for them to be pushy? If pushiness works for you or for employees, is it okay? - by Skip Anderson
Does pushiness break some unwritten rule about right vs. wrong, or ethical vs. unethical?
As long as you are dealing fairly and honestly with your customers I don't see this as unethical. As a manager I would rather see a salesperson error on the side of being aggressive rather than passive. - by Liberty
"pushy = aggressiveness (as opposed to assertiveness)." -- Skip

It's okay to be pushy defined that way - being assertive is presenting something in a strongly worded factual/emotional way that is going to be heard and probably heard again.

Even assertiveness can have qualities of give and take bend and flex.

Being pushy or assertive would have to be defined in a context specific to the situation - in theory you can pretty much argue even things which normally you wouldn't want to see.

MitchM - by MitchM
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.