Home > Personal Selling > Don't lose the last 60 years!

Don't lose the last 60 years!

In 1951 a 22 year old man with more guts that schooling started a company in England. He did not know any better so he did what sales people of the day were NOT taught to do for very good reason; prospect by phone. It worked.

By December 1961 this man had moved his young family to Canada, he got an inside sales position and waited for an opening in outside sales, which was his in mid 1962.

It has been more than 4 decades since that man, my father, Mr. Peter Burke, who is one of the old time sales greats and arguably the first to use the telephone as the preferred prospecting tool, coined; Gold Calling®.

In 2002, this awesome phrase became a registered trademark and is now also the trade name of our joint corporation.

In 2004, at age 75, after a mini stroke, he still proved with ease that the same skills he started teaching in the 1964, after winning the National Sales Contest at the now defunct Apecco (American Photocopy Company - the then largest copier seller in North America), work perfectly in this millennium too. It was during that magical year, for a relative unknown software company that was his client, that he successfully opened the door to both Honda and Toyota, without introduction – cold!

The latter generated $12.1 million dollar initial sale plus ongoing revenues and a significant chance for International expansion to their plants worldwide after taking over the manufacturing intelligence (the software that runs the manufacturing lines) in all North American facilities!

This and other fantastic sales accomplishments were the result of what the uninformed often refer to as telemarketing, when the correct term is; TELEPHONE PROSPECTING - a specialized sales practice few master.

The Sales 2.0 crowd not only would have you believe this tool to be dead they make that claim fanatically. Interestingly and tellingly, I am yet to find one master prospector who will support this notion.

Also notable is the fact that the "NEW AGE SELLING" crowd decry the greatest selling skill ever invented, denying what one of the greatest philosophers of all time proved - setting communications back like two millennium, never mind 60 years. This technique is not offensive, as with all great skills when they are used correctly. And it is certainly a part of prospecting and all aspects of selling.

The undisputed master of TELEPHONE PROSPECTING now has more than 50+ years experience practicing and teaching this technique as well as all the other great selling skills!

He will tell you as every great master in the history of our profession will, that telling isn’t selling. That sales is a misunderstood communication art, which few champion.

While it is true that the world has changed - this BLOG/POST is proof positive - the old skills that are now both being ignored, and even condemned, work just as well today as they always did and almost NO ONE TEACHES them. This is a great opportunity, as the skills you will learn through our blog and site are rarely used and that means you will not run into your competition when you act in the prospect's best interest!

My father is too old to be a road warrior any longer but every day he starts more new business than most of the sales professionals in their prime. Why? What lessons are to be learned?

My name is Steven Burke and as his son the torch is now passed to me. I have chosen to use my skills as both a sales trainer and an Internet Marketing master – one who was successful enough to be featured on the cover of a North American wide newsstand magazine - to take up the call to continue to spread these teachings, so that they will not be lost forever.

To learn from both of us, either read our various blogs or forum postings and, certainly, go to http://www.mysalestrainer.com to receive a free subscription to our awesome sales newsletter, which uses the most powerful teaching tool known to man; repetition.

Best of luck always,

PS I will post to this thread again in a day or two, so that you can understand better - (A) why real selling skills are being lost; (B) that the consultative selling approach was not knew when Neil Rackham released SPIN SELLING; (C) who invented the best selling technique (hint; it was a philosopher) and; (D) the powerful psychology behind Gold Calling®; (E) why sales people were not taught telephone prospecting in the fifites- plus much much more. - by Gold Calling
"This and other fantastic sales accomplishments were the result of what the uninformed often refer to as telemarketing, when the correct term is; TELEPHONE PROSPECTING - a specialized sales practice few master." -- SB

That is so true and a fact of sales. I spoke with a man yesterday who belongs to our BNI franchise and he hates telephone prospecting. When asked a couple of months ago by another BNI member: How many of you hate cold calling and do not like much better calling leads who have indicated an interest, all but one a couple hands went up.

This isn't a thread to debate this vs that way or why to telephone prospect - people have different ideas - but Steven is right and from reading many of his posts his admiration for his dad and his dad's example and accomplishments have made one of the strongest impacts in his life.

Internet technology is awesome we'd all agree BUT the personal touch of voice to voice does what nothing else can do to create a relationship and make a sale.

MitchM - by MitchM
I found Steve's post to be long winded and self-serving, BUT I agree with the premise.

I have made my career in 'Inside Sales'...cold calling and phone prospecting being a large part of the success. 4 years ago, I was invited to move out of running the Outside sales team and into helping build the 'wholesale' side of our business.

I took the job, seeing it as a new challenge. But in short time i learned that prospecting here was much less aggressive...largely done thru sending letters and e-mails....and over time I could feel my phone skills (and my desire to cold call) eroding.

Next week, I start a new job in Outside Sales. I am eager to re-sharpen my saw and see if I still 'have it'. - by Defmall
Defmall - how much time daily did you call, did you track results or just let er rip, and what's the genesis of your technique - why were you successful?

MitchM - by MitchM
The techniques that work on the phone are similar to those that work face-to-face. Socratic Choice being the best of all closing options for phone prospecting is also good face-to-face to set an action plan or close on a Delivery date or in all kinds of other ways.

That brings me to;

(C) who invented the best selling technique (hint; it was a philosopher) and;
Socrates, as far as we know, is the first to have written about the human condition in respect to making decisions. It was he that first explained the MINOR ALTERNATIVE.

There may be other ancient scrolls containing this pearl of wisdom, perhaps if he had not chosen to die rather than lie he would not have become more-or-less immortalized and then the phrase that explains this technique of dealing with the human condition (if I may put it that way) would be named after another.

But, be that as it may, it changes nothing. Here is the main issue. Hundreds of years, no, millenniums later; "NEW AGE SELLERS" are touting that they would not want to use this technique, worried that it is pushy or offensive, which it can be when delivered incorrectly.

It is very simple, part way through a phone script if you employ - "Would you be interested in that?" - you will produce more negative responses than "What looks better in your calender for us to get together and discuss the exciting profit improvements we offer, is Friday or one day next week better for you?"

Here is what "NEW AGERS" think and say - I would rather hear a NO now and still be able to sell them later. A comment that comes from something called common sense. That is why it is called common, when what works best is down "the road least traveled" and is, I assure you, quite uncommon.

In the largest research projects ever conducted to measure sales results found that road warriors who consistently make more money and penetrate their patch further - both long and short term, they do not think like these NEW AGE SELLERS, they use what has been proven in sales for 60 years and known in human nature since Socrates.

Re-invent the wheel at your own risk!

This thread is not really about the use of the telephone, it is about sales in general, that is why I posted it in this category. And, every professional salesperson should know, every generation has a issue with self importance - sales people also suffer from the human condition, thinking that they are different, that things have changed, that; "that does not work any longer!"

Even big companies like Xerox believe that they have to reinvent their sales training every decade or sooner (at great expense to them and with little or no improvement).

It was Xerox that paid Neil Rackham, a non sales phsycologist, to do his research - this ebcame SPIN. And excellewnt name, oe that sold a lot of books (through a marketing technique not a sales technique).

Sixty years ago a general store with a malt counter quadrupled sales by asking a Socratic Choice question. Today, at Business Depot/Staples, they are at least asking a question at check out, which does cause somewhat of an increase in sales, on impulse, but they are not using Socratic Choice.

"Would you like one of our specials?" Huh? Oops, there went 60 years of learning and exprerience in less than 5 seconds! How can you imporve that?

How about we train the check out staff to say something like; "We have pens on special today. If you buy one it is half the normal price but if you get a dozen you also receive in addition to the half off price - a 13th pen for free too, which would you prefer?"
The most important part of the above is WHICH WOULD YOU PREFER? Remember, a closing question is any question the answer to which confirms the prospect bought. That simple.

If you don't ask, you won't get he sale - this is not complex.

Now, if Staples adopted this strategy, they will sell thousands of extra pens daily. And, of course, they can switch to another item to make sure returning customers who are now stocked up on pens don't miss out via a new special and the efective use of Socratic Choice.

I will follow up with A, B, and D plus some other stuff next week. best of luck always ... - by Gold Calling
"NEW AGE SELLERS" are touting that they would not want to use this technique, worried that it is pushy or offensive, which it can be when delivered incorrectly....
What is a New Age Seller? I have never heard that term before. How were you able to determine what they think? Are there any books on New Age Selling? - by Ace Coldiron
Stephen is the only one I've ever heard/read who uses that phrase - I don't know what it means either. It seems to be some kind of posturing what I say vs everyone else. But I may be wrong about that - can you define it more clearly, Stephen.

MitchM - by MitchM
I actually borrowed the term NEW AGE SELLING from the owner of this site, Mr. Jeff Blackwell, it is not my creation. And, if I am not mistaken, it was more a comment motivated from the moment that any real attempt on his part to generalize.

And, as is dangerous to some degree - what I have done - heaping many different fractions of selling into a category and applying a label, not from any desire to slander or suggest they are all the same except in terms of the apparent ignoring of what has been proven time and time again, both recently and (to pick a time as certain wisdoms have always been true) 5 decades ago, as well as in between.

If you check you will find there are many sites with "NEW AGE SELLING" in the body or keywords of the site. One that appears close to the top is a blog post I did last January, not long after Jeff startled me by using it as we were talking on the phone.

I would categorize most of the Sales 2.0 information as being "NEW AGE" ... also, the "HIGH PROBABILITY SELLING" stuff - Mitch, while I know that you are well read on selling, this is your primary sales thought process, isn't it? - certainly is.

Most of the negative COLD CALLING stuff most definitely is.

That 22 year old is still working today. He commands an incredible fee for what he does and he will tell you that NOTHING has changed in selling, as he does not believe research is selling, though that is important to identify prospect and marketing lists.

He is 79 now and I have met quite a few of his customers, including the man who hired him for his major client and the man who runs the business that is his minor client. After having been able to sample his work, these men plus one who lives in the U.K., who flew over to do a wilderness canoe trip with me, that worked with him at a Major International engineering consultancy firm, they all think he is brilliant. I disagree, I think he is extremely effective sales professional, as I will state below.

Please, notice I do not mention myself. And while you might not blame me for being humble, when I spend time on this forum, because impressionable minds are here, I try to provide proof, rather than opinion.

What works in selling is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. That there were and always will be amateurs in this profession is undeniable. That some schools of thought promoted or taught so-called sales skills prior to the only big time quantitative research on sales process ever being done, which was by both Xerox and later Neil Rackham (who was hired by Xerox), that was not great ... this too is undeniable.

What we have not learned is not that selling has changed - but "needs to be changed". He, in the 90's we saw "Selling in the 90's" now we see Selling in the New Millennium" and unfortunately there is a very strong reason in human nature why we are drawn to this or think our own importance is such that there is a CHANGE. As stated; Though there are even best selling books that indicate it should be (they say it has), does not mean anything but a stated opinion.

If true;

Why then does a literal dinosaur in selling still blow the minds of the people he works for? I can name a top Process Improvement and efficiency consultants firm who's CEO tried to hire this old man to teach phone prospecting to his company, as well as all the testimonials mentioned already.

Surely there is a discrepancy between this NEW AGE information and the facts that this old man is still out producing every sales person and telemarketing firm he has ever gone against.

In 1964 he won a National Sales Contest, today he is still a top producer and that is not so because of manipulation or pushy-ness - in a manner that you might visuualize the actions of a poor salesman. Not at all.

It also does not mean he is one of the sharpest people in the world either, so it is not extraordinaire intelligence that makes him successful. I can attest to that as he is my father.

It isn't "Hare and the Tortoise" with him being the plodding tortoise that makes him great either. It is proven sales skills.

Over and over again I read OPINION based information on this site and through many so-called experts on sales. They say;

(1) today is more competitive, actually the opposite is true because sales people are less effective and getting to the decision makers in business than they were (I am strictly talking sales skills not marketing).

(2) buyers know more. Well, only if they have nothing better to do. It would be more accurate to say that "people today no less about more things" as a result of the Information Age and the Internet. And, as no one yet has invented a way to create more time to learn more nor have BUYERS been given a mandate by companies (or themselves) to spend less time doing their job and more time researching!

Can you say BUNK? Or how about COMMON SENSE, with the clear emphasis on COMMON and not SENSE.

(3) that the phone is a hated way to receive contact from a sales rep. Well, I can tell you, I hate poor approaches too (and interruptions at dinner time) but as a business owner if you called me and told me you could save me $100,000 (or a relative amount if I was in big business) I would not "hate" that call, quite the opposite!

There is a tonne of B.S. floating around the sales training industry and very little proof. But when you see an old time professional being even more effective today you cannot blame for this fact; Voice Mail, the Internet, people's feelings toward sales people calling them or even "more knowledgeable buyers" .

I have a radical suggestion - the request to receive an email or a website address by what you hope is a qualified buyer (the qualification being mostly the request) is most often a way to get rid of you (and though new it is just a new way to throw up a road block other wise known to us OLD TIMERS as a - guess what? An objection, right!). Want another? How about;

Researching businesses on the Internet is no different than using Dunn & Bradstreet (now called D&B, the online version is HOOVERS) was in the past. Yes, you might find out that a certain key executive loves sports cars or sailing though a little online research but, rarely. And we used to do that in a hurry face to face.

I am not saying I don't research online or that I don't send an email to a prospect, I do both but I employ very specific skills when doing the latter, which include a close for the appointment.

In regards to the question;

Are there any books on New Age Selling?
If there were, would you really want to read them?

I highly recommend that you stay away from the NEW selling advice until you have seen any organizations with deep pockets pay for an extensive research program, which the individuals and small groups that push these ideas cannot finance themselves.

I also recommend you ignore the proven techniques at your own risk. And, please, resist the offended spouting off reply, ask yourself instead;

"Are my beliefs based on fact or opinion?"

Best of luck. - by Gold Calling
What works in selling is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. That there were and always will be amateurs in this profession is undeniable. That some schools of thought promoted or taught so-called sales skills prior to the only big time quantitative research on sales process ever being done, which was by both Xerox and later Neil Rackham (who was hired by Xerox), that was not great ... this too is undeniable.
You probably typed that in a hurry, and I'm having a little trouble understanding that paragraph. Don't worry, I do the same thing myself. Neil Rackham--he's the guy that talks about SPIN Selling, right? Is he New Age? Is SPIN Selling New Age?

With regard to your comments to me, did you get the impession I was disagreeing with you about something? I almost thought you were lecturing me. BTW, I won two national sales contests with a giant company--2002 and 2003. I can understand firsthand why you are so proud of your father, rightfully so. My daughters have been very proud of me. Those are the true rewards, will you agree?

The best to you! - by Ace Coldiron
How many or what percentage of true sales skills are part of the Xerox or SPIN Selling training because if you say MOST then I would say it's time to check them out. - by Thomas

Ace, if you felt I was talking to you personally, rather than dealing with information in this thread, please remember, I am not thinking of a person. Just imparting knowledge abut sales training schools and what makes people tick. I may be one of few with a complete understanding of the various factions in sales training and what they preach plus how that affects our profession. And I hope my effort is helpful.

I was trying to say that Sales 2.0 and especially the "New Age" camps have a propensity to think that they are the first to think what they think. The truth is - from the massive research I have conducted over 3 decades plus that which my father did going back almost 6 decades - we've shown there have been groups in the past who suggested that selling skills offended buyers. This is not new.

But, the question is, who’s? Those of a true professional or those of a person who thinks raw aggression is a sales technique?

Today Sales 2.0 and "New Age" camps say "buyers know more" and, using what we all call common sense, they extrapolate that the Internet means a buyer is more aware. That they therefore will be offended by selling "the old way".

This is a dangerous notion indeed. There is nothing COMMON about great sales professionals and what benchmark is being used for "the old way"?

If we state that a buyer knows more about us, our company and/or our product before a meeting does that change the fact that we need to either close a sale at that meeting or move it to the next step (close for the action plan)? Really, how?

I have been on sales calls in the early 80's where I would say the buyer was very well informed, through trade publications and other research. And I've been on "post modernism" (after the Internet and the WWW) calls where buyers were both unaware and equally aware as the buyers in the 80's. And, so far, I am yet to have registered any awareness myself that the buyer acted differently, was offended by my communication skill(s) or understood what we do and therefore was apprehensive, at least no more than they were when I started sellign 30 years ago. And this applies equally to full time buyers like purchasing agents.

I have written a great deal about this subject. And the bottom line is - even if the buyer does know more, so what? They either have the needs that your product or service fulfills or they don't.

"Don't sell, the buyer knows more!"

Why not?

What specifically about a buyer being more aware - if they are and most I have dealt with are no different than in the 80's or 90's - changes the art of communication?

"Selling has changed!"

Yep, sure has. We never sent emails with reference letters in the 90's, 80's or 70's but we never sent fax transmissions in the early 80's and 70's either (just to make a simple comparison). So what?

Technology helps save time but it does not sell. As a matter of fact it also creates another way to get rid of you; "Can you send me an email about that?" or; "What is your website?"

"Danger Will Robinson, danger!"

Technology did not create more time, the buyer still needs to spend their time efficiently doing other things like buying other products or putting out fires or whatever it is they do on a daily basis. Meaning they have limited time for Internet Research of your product or your company. However while some do it - this does not mean they don't need to meet with you ... not unless your product can be ordered online!

One thing is certain, people have not changed that much. We could say our children are different, they know more than we did due to media and the Internet (in my opinion this apparent loss of innocence is a shame) but does that change what motivates them - what makes them tick? Will they be any different to sell to when they are older and become buyers?

As history has shown, society has changed greatly, becoming more and less liberal in centuries past, depending on State and times, but individuals are still motivated by needs, wants and desires ... they are also governed by their own values (and, though a tad oversimplified, the core values are passed on to us as kids by our parents).

NEW AGE to me is opinion based. Sales 2.0 is perhaps the biggest group of "new age" thinking in sales. It was started as an idea by a CRM company and Google put a large amount of effort into it, because buyers researching means more traffic on search engines. In other words, this is a biased, hidden agenda based thought process or school of sales.

There are other sales factions that take advantage of the times and human nature, such as the anti COLD CALLING groups. These are negative too, as they hurt our profession by teaching not to engage in sales practices - and this is SALES PRACTICE DOT COM!

There is no fact to support that buyers thought process as they acquire what they want or need or desire has changed significantly. And for good reason - not only has the research not been done, people are motivated the same way, if we had not changed since Jesus Christ walked the face of the planet until pre-Internet, then post Internet and Google affects surely have not made us evolve, maybe the opposite is true actually, our society may be de-evolving (again)!

My premises may not be considered simple, but let's start with Neil Rackham. He and his team did not invent the consultative approach to selling. Nor did they uncover the fact that in many buying situations the close is a non event, as the value has been made very evident by the interaction with the prospect - by good salesmanship.

It is not also an valid statement to say that if there is not an overwhelming value that the sale should not be closed, there are situations in selling where there is only one benefit rather than many, where the value is slight and the sale could still take place.

Neil Rackham came from Xerox U.K which was not doing as well as Xerox in North America. This was in the days when Xerography was the only plain paper copier technology. They had a very clear advantage over coated paper technologies (direct electrostatics) and as a result they should have been doing better.

Rank owned the rights to Xerox worldwide. In other words, Xerox U.K., owned by Rank, was not the same company as the Xerox we know here.

So, Rank - knowing what the sales numbers where in the U.S. and Canada, knowing that the profit from the single most profitable machine invented by man (until the PC) was slipping through their fingers, hired a behavioral scientist, Rackham.

Rackham and his crew went on sales calls of the people not selling well and the ones that were and saw a very clear distinction. understand, Xerox Learning Systems had already done this research in North America.

Understand please, I never worked for Xerox. In fact, though I have come to understand why, my own values were influenced to think that the Xerox attitude was negative to some degree. Just like the Bell Canada corporate environment, where they think they have a name to protect.

In my opinion it was this Xerox attitude that lost them the world number one position in copiers. Bell Canada has done the same thing to a great degree.

However, XEROX during the some that PSS was developed and then spun off as a separate business, known as Xerox Learning Systems and later International Learning Systems, this came before the Holly-er-than-thow attitude that lead to the decline of their world domination in sales and my perception of them. Since I came along after they had the "attitude", my perception was slanted as is the case with many that dislike a certain style of selling. They get a perception based only on personal experience.

The separate company, Xerox Learning Systems/International Learning Systems did not have this ridiculous "air" about them.

Anyway, SPIN was the result of Xerox U.K.. Since the numbers from Xerox North America did to increase after they tried out SPIN, which seemed to work in the U.K. (sure it did, any professional approach works better than a non professional one!), we can assume that SPIN was not a superior approach to "Need Satisfaction Selling". Again, these statements by me may seem over simplified but I have not got the luxury of four hours to write a more detailed explanation.

Trust me, though I would not talk you out of taking a SPIN course, I would caution you to make only PART of this sales doctrine part of your selling philosophy (in other words, learning closing skills too).

The next thing that came along was PAIN. Instead of a NEED, the new BUZZ PHRASE became PAIN or PAIN POINTS. And, it matters not who developed this, as it is more or less semantics ... except there is a reason why PAIN is not the perfect way to perceive a need, as sometimes there is no pain!

As an example, think of a company that made $140 million last year. You are selling PROCESS IMPROVEMENT - benefit; they will make $12 million more annually ... but since all the EXECS at that company are already cashing in, getting their maximum performance bonuses based on the high degree of existing profit, it is hard to say they are feeling PAIN when you go in on your sales call. Right?

NEED is a superior expression than pain, which is why I have in 31 years of selling, refused to change the explanation of what I do from a NEED SATISFACTION PROCESS ... even though I do at times use a "consultative approach" I am always looking for the buyer's needs that the product or service I represent can satisfy.

I resolve to prove; There have always been poor sales people and poor sales schools (of thought). This is why the "old way" was judged harshly, their were comparing to that which I would also have described in a negative light. But that is no reason to 'stop selling'.

I further resolve to prove; There have always been and still are highly skilled sales people, those who seldom upset a prospect but very effectively use all selling skills, including closing techniques, and as a result generate higher sales consistently than those who believe that the buyer will know what you are doing and be offended or those who believe the close is a non event.

I mention the last RESOLVE partly because one of NEW AGE groups is saying that if you get a NO today it may be a YES tomorrow. In other words, they think that sales techniques involve being pushy. And, if you are, you will offend them and then you cannot do business with them ever in the future.

If you think - to anyone - that you should not do something, because it will offend the buyer, perhaps you're understanding of how to perform that skill or skills is amateurish? You are more than likely correct because there is a much better way to conduct yourself while applying that specific sales skill. And, if you were aware of it then, not only would you know what a professional sales person is and does but you would not think that what sales people do is bad, you would not buy into selling has changed - because human behavior is not different, a sale takes place for the same reasons as ever before.

(1) Our profession is oft maligned. Why? Because (2) our core values that make us what we are is "borrowed" from our parents, TV, our church minister and peer group. And (3) everyone has dealt with lousy sales people, many imparting their hatred of such an experience on us to some degree. Finally, (4) because of the first three, many people grow up and become adults thinking that they would not want to treat people that way but end up getting into sales and hence they search for a "better way".

Just because a movie maker/writer had bad experiences with sales people does not mean that his or her feelings, which were portrayed on screen through actor's dialogue, are accurate about selling. Yet, we are influenced by these portrayals - not you and me necessarily but people in general. No wonder some think there must be a better way to sell.

I know a better way; become a true sales professional.

I also bare witness to the group that believes that a NON SELLING approach is better, thinking that what I (not me personally but professionals) do is offensive (even though they have no idea what we do). It is this group that is NEW AGE, at least to me.

Neil Rackham and his SPIN approach are not new age.

The challenge with SPIN - though it is a professional sales approach, is they teach that the close is a non event. And I can name several instances were CLOSING IS AN EVENT (the non reactor is just one, there are several more. And their own executive in conversation with me agreed there are times when the close is an event, I merely used the non reactor to make my point on this).

PSS was a basic sales skills course. It did not teach advanced closing techniques, though it does deal with the non reactor to some degree, lumping them in with those who could be said to be INDIFFERENT.

NEW AGERS would think a non reactor may buy from them later, better not try to close. PROFESSIONAL know the non reactor is like that, it is part of their personality to be taciturn - people who do not say much - so they close, hoping to either get an order or at least get any kind of reaction so that they can see another attitude - one they can deal with to help this rare type of buyer.

Why I recommend basics first is you need to know probing to uncover needs, supporting needs with the benefits of your product, closing and handling attitudes before you can spend time on advanced techniques.

In this forum there are two distinct groups. Those who are not true professional sales people and therefore naturally think what they think (many have gravitated to NEW AGE thinking, even though they may not have read any NEW AGE SELLING books - they simply don't know any better). Then there are real pros ... or those on their way to becoming great sales professionals.

In my opinion, there will always be a large group of people in our industry who misunderstand it. And, with the Internet being an easy way to spread information, those with a preconceived notion of selling that is non professional, who also don't want to do it that way, seeking a way to sell that will not offend a buyer, they will find NEW AGE information.

I guess new age is better than pushy, though it is far less effective than SPIN or NEED SATISFACTION SELLING, the later being the most effective if you learn and practice advanced closing skills.

To some degree I wish I HAD NOT USED THE TERM new age selling. It is not my goal to promote any phrase that does not apply to our profession or to confuse. So, I apologize for that.

Selling is not offensive, though there are many offenders. - by Gold Calling
Some of us have a lot to give when it comes to helping others in sales. I appreciate your passion for wanting to help. My own thoughts are that there is a vast difference between What and How. Sincere learners and newcomers are more interested in what good strategy and tactics look like, and how they are applied, than what they are called. - by Ace Coldiron
Unquestionably Ace, in fact, in another thread, just yesterday I think it was, I stated the exact same thing.

However, we can't leave it at that I am afraid. Because there are very strong reasons why language affects us dramatically.

The terminology we use to express sales practices and customer attitudes, if we all knew what they meant many would find this site and specifically this and other threads more beneficial - they could learn faster and end up knowing more. And knowledge is money.

We all want the quick fix but when it comes to learning there simply isn't one. Everyone must give themselves the time required to ingest new ideas and apply them and if understanding language can assist us in making more money, why wouldn't each and every one of us make that effort?

In my experience it takes years to master sales. You need not be any age but you do have to have a certain amount of training and experience.

Training is the key. Applying that training is critical.

How many people reading this thread attend a sales seminar each year that they pay for with their own money? I don't know that stat but I am certain that is it the minority. And, yet, if each sales pro here was assured - literally guaranteed - that their income would increase as a result, who would not break a hole in their pocket in a rush to get the money out to pay for it?

Take, Gold Calling®, it is one letter removed from the phrase we all know, which is very negative; cold calling. In this case language affects us because, if we choose to use it, it conjures up stinking thinking. That is why we trademarked the new term, which you all have my permission to use.

In the case of understanding OBJECTIONS, which by the way this thread was not started to discuss, I only drew attention to the fact that PSS was very well thought out to have people understand the quality of the information being supplied - it was a matter of misinterpretation of language. Though, I assure you, I could care less who is "right". In fact, since we learn from mistakes, I welcome any of you addressing mine.

No, there is no doubt that the quick fix mentality wants the script, not the name of the type and/or cause of the objection. There is also no doubt that they need what they don't want - to thoroughly understand what causes a prospect to act the way they do. Because then, when they face it again, they can predict the outcome in the majority of the cases. And, as a result of the language being understood, we can also more easily discuss it with our peers.

I have been a sales trainer and sales student since I was 17. And I have a sales master and master trainer as a very close relative. And that relative now listens to my perspective because I have a different one than he does. I did not begin my serious sales career in my early thirties, like he did. I began it in my teens and I have made the cover of a magazine plus made a million dollars a year, things he has not accomplished - I am a different person as a result.

All of this simply put means that my training and education and experience and success have made me something that the majority of sales people are not. And from this vantage point I can say that I believe whole heartedly that language is a big key.

The best example of this was a talk I heard about trainers. There was a convention of speakers and one speaker was on the sidelines getting ready to go on while another was speaking. And he noticed Og Mandino (author; The greatest salesman in the world!) in one of the front rows furiously taking notes!

If a man with a best seller is not too good to learn from others, then none of us are.

If Tom Hopkins was speaking, you bet I would take notes. If J. Douglas Edwards was a availble through the magic of time travel, I would spend whatever it cost to go there for that day!

Ace - if you did a talk, I am certain I would pick up stuff that I could use an d learn from.

And I would hope that if I was or in this forum or in my BLOG, that those sales professionals here would too.

As a cap-per I can take another example right out of this thread. Objection by one poster was noted as being rejection. And I spent at least two days thinking about that one. I guess you could say that it is a "rejection" of thought but it is not rejecting the product or you, though possibly what you said.

Therefore, if it was my job to re-create PSS and modernize it, I would not use the word REJECTION as part of the description of objection. I believe it is misleading, which is interestingly the very definition of an objection. In other words, I object to the use of the word itself in this context.

Language is fascinating. But the use of it is declining. Few can write today and many speak less effectively as a result.

What if all of us had proof that taking a book study or language enhancer course allowed us to think more thoughts and therefore expanded our minds - so that it never returned to the same size again (meaning you were forever enhanced). And that the end result was you made more commissions, maybe more due to confidence but also due to a propensity to better understand prospects?

A forum is just words. We cannot convey the nuances we use in our voice that impart the ring of truth on a prospect. This is a two dimensional experience - if I can put it that way. But at least we can still learn from the meaning of words ... to all ... this is serious, it involves you, your goals and dreams – your income potential, even who you become as a person, it means everything!

Best of luck always, Steven Burke.

By the way, my blog will start up again soon, I am back in the mode. Not sure why I fell off the horse for a while. Check out MySalesTrainer.com (link below) to get updates on blog releases. - by Gold Calling
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.